Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the town of Snyder, Bank A and Bank B were exhibitors at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 6

In the town of Snyder, Bank A and Bank B were exhibitors at [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

7% (00:00) correct 93% (01:52) wrong based on 33 sessions
In the town of Snyder, Bank A and Bank B were exhibitors at the annual Snyder Days Summer Festival in an attempt to find new depositors. Both Bank A and Bank B displayed booths and manned the booths with bank employees. At the end of festival, Bank A had registered 50 new depositors, and Bank B had registered 20 new depositors, leading to $200,000 in new deposits for each bank. Banks A and Bank B each spent $5,000 obtaining the new deposits from the festival, and each calculated its likely profits from the festival at $3,000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn from the statements above?

a) Bank A and Bank B generated equivalent revenue from the festival
b) On average, Bank A's new depositors deposited more money than did the new depositors of Bank B
c) On the last day of the festival, Bank A and bank B each received the same number of new deposits
d) Bank A has more depositors than does Bank B
e) At the festival, Bank B specifically targeted those who would be able to deposit higher amounts of money

I got it wrong (don't have the OA), but here's my approach:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
a) Bank A and Bank B generated equivalent revenue from the festival Hold
b) On average, Bank A's new depositors deposited more money than did the new depositors of Bank B Other way around
c) On the last day of the festival, Bank A and bank B each received the same number of new deposits Don't know about the different days
d) Bank A has more depositors than does Bank B No information given
e) At the festival, Bank B specifically targeted those who would be able to deposit higher amounts of money Maybe they just got one rich customer and 19 poor ones. The rich one raised the average. Maybe they just got their deposits by accident without targeting a special group. Don't know
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 13

Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 06:41
i will go for E , because both the banks earns same amount of deposits, but Bank A registered 50 new depositors and Bank B registerd 20, so clearly Bank B has targeted higher amount depositors
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 07:20
a) Bank A and Bank B generated equivalent revenue from the festival - REVENUE vs. PROFIT
b) On average, Bank A's new depositors deposited more money than did the new depositors of Bank B - opposite may be true
c) On the last day of the festival, Bank A and bank B each received the same number of new deposits - maybe, maybe not.
d) Bank A has more depositors than does Bank B - in question are NEW depositors, not total
e) At the festival, Bank B specifically targeted those who would be able to deposit higher amounts of money - IMO, correct

I appreciate the kudos if you find this post helpful! +1

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 08:00
+1 for A

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 12:05
A.
Profit=Total revenue-Total cost
For banks A and B, profit and total cost is same.
Then revenue must be same.

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
Berbatov wrote:
In the town of Snyder, Bank A and Bank B were exhibitors at the annual Snyder Days Summer Festival in an attempt to find new depositors. Both Bank A and Bank B displayed booths and manned the booths with bank employees. At the end of festival, Bank A had registered 50 new depositors, and Bank B had registered 20 new depositors, leading to $200,000 in new deposits for each bank. Banks A and Bank B each spent $5,000 obtaining the new deposits from the festival, and each calculated its likely profits from the festival at $3,000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn from the statements above?

b) On average, Bank A's new depositors deposited more money than did the new depositors of Bank B
c) On the last day of the festival, Bank A and bank B each received the same number of new deposits
e) At the festival, Bank B specifically targeted those who would be able to deposit higher amounts of money

[Reveal] Spoiler:
b) On average, Bank A's new depositors deposited more money than did the new depositors of Bank B Other way around
c) On the last day of the festival, Bank A and bank B each received the same number of new deposits Don't know about the different days
e) At the festival, Bank B specifically targeted those who would be able to deposit higher amounts of money Maybe they just got one rich customer and 19 poor ones. The rich one raised the average. Maybe they just got their deposits by accident without targeting a special group. Don't know

If you dont have the OA - how can u tell its the wrong answer?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 926 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 12:20
Berbatov wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Good explanation.

"leading to $200,000 in new deposits for each bank"
Ans: "A"

~fluke

Math Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 12:37
144144 wrote:
Berbatov wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

If you dont have the OA - how can u tell its the wrong answer?

That's a valid question.

~fluke

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 20:18
fluke wrote:
That's a valid question.

Ask the Kaplan people ;)
If you do their sample tests, they will mark your answers green (correct) or red (wrong). However, they don't tell you the correct answer. My "A" was red so it's wrong. Still, I don't know whether it's B, C, D, or E...
Math Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 02:45
Berbatov wrote:
fluke wrote:
That's a valid question.

Ask the Kaplan people ;)
If you do their sample tests, they will mark your answers green (correct) or red (wrong). However, they don't tell you the correct answer. My "A" was red so it's wrong. Still, I don't know whether it's B, C, D, or E...

And what price are they asking to reveal the OA's and OE's, may I ask?

~fluke

Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE, IE

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: In the town of Snyder [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 09:21
Only A makes sense.

What kind of practise tests are these if OA are not explained and revealed?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GMAT 1: Q33 V27
GPA: 2.92
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 61

Re: In the town of Snyder, Bank A and Bank B were exhibitors at [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 01:12
For me the OA is E.

Can someone post the OA for this question?
Re: In the town of Snyder, Bank A and Bank B were exhibitors at   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2012, 01:12