Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618667 [9]
Given Kudos: 81564
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [1]
Given Kudos: 185
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [3]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: In the town of Z, the town lion roars on some days and not on others. [#permalink]
Kudos
noTh1ng wrote:
Hi Engr2012

I follow your approach up to the point where you combine the two statements.

However I think that the statements together let us assume that it rained on 20 days in March and that the lion subsequently roared on 10 days. This is because if we for example assume that it rained on 30 days the lion will only be able to roar on 20 days, according to 2.

But how is that possible if March has only a total of 31 days and the lion never roared when it rained?? It seems illogical to me!

I therefore said that it rained on 20 days and the lion roared on 10 days leading to 30/31...

You are looking at it incorrectly. Nowhere do the statements say anything about a situation when the lion did not roar and it did not rain. You can not assume that x + x-10 = 31 . It might be that x=13, x-10=3 and thus on 31- (13+3) = 15 days nothing happend (neither the lion roared nor it rained!). Even this set of 13,3 satisfies both the statements and the question stem.

You are correct in assuming that 20, 10 can be the number of days but will it always be like this? No.

Hope this answers your question.
Attachments

File comment: Venn Diagram
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 18.81 KiB | Viewed 6898 times ]

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4224 [1]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: In the town of Z, the town lion roars on some days and not on others. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
In the town of Z, the town lion roars on some days and not on others. If a day is chosen at random from last March, what is the probability that on that day, either the town lion roared or it rained?

(1) last March, the lion never roared on a rainy day.
(2) Last March, the lion roared on 10 fewer days than it rained.

Kudos for a correct solution.

We have a total of 30 days in march. To calculate the probability of "either roaring or raining" we need to have the number of days the lion roared and the number of days of rain.

Statement 1: Insufficient (see above). No information about number of days.
Statement 2: Insufficient (see above). No information about number of days it rained.

Statement 1+2: Still not sufficient. I am looking to fill this formula: days roaring / 30 + days raining / 30.

Answer E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In the town of Z, the town lion roars on some days and not on others. If a day is chosen at random from last March, what is the probability that on that day, either the town lion roared or it rained?

We require the following information to answer this question:
1) On how many days in March, Lion roared
2) On how many days it rained in March
3) On how many days Lion roared as well as it rained

Question : Probability Either Lion roared or it rained = ?

Statement 1: last March, the lion never roared on a rainy day.

This provides us information No. 3 but Information 1 and @ are still unknown, Hence
NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Last March, the lion roared on 10 fewer days than it rained.

There are 31 days in March
No. of Days Lion Roared = x
i.e. No. of Days it rained = x+10
But Information 3 is still unknown and the value of x also is unknown hence
NOT SUFFICIENT

Combining the two statements
No. of Days Lion Roared = x
i.e. No. of Days it rained = x+10
No day lion roared and It rained
But x+x+10 can be anything less than or equal 31, therefore,
NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29900 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

Target question: What is the probability that on that day, either the town lion roared or it rained?
This is a good candidate for rephrasing the target question.

This is an OR probability. The OR probability rule says, P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
So, P(rained or roared) = P(rained) + P(roared) - P(rained and roared). So . . .

REPHRASED target question: What is the value of P(rained) + P(roared) - P(rained and roared)?

Aside: Here’s a video with tips on rephrasing the target question: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency?id=1100

Statement 1: Last March, the lion never roared on a rainy day.
In other words, P(rained and roared) = 0
Since we still don't know the values of P(rained) and P(roared), we cannot evaluate P(rained) + P(roared) - P(rained and roared)
Since we cannot answer the REPHRASED target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Last March, the lion roared on 10 fewer days than it rained.
Let x = # of days the lion roared
So, x+10 = # of days it rained
This means P(roared) = x/31 and P(rained) = (x+10)/31
Since we still don't know the actual values of P(rained) and P(roared), and we don't know the value of P(roared and rained) we cannot evaluate P(rained) + P(roared) - P(rained and roared)
Since cannot answer the REPHRASED target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined:
From statement 1 we know that P(rained and roared) = 0
From statement 2 we know that P(roared) = x/31 and P(rained) = (x+10)/31
Put them together and we get: P(rained or roared) = (x+10)/31 + x/31 - 0
Since we still cannot answer the REPHRASED target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92888 posts