Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 06 May 2015, 01:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 82

In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 09:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (02:22) correct 61% (01:28) wrong based on 129 sessions
In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedrals were perceived less as works of art than as chronicles of the ordinary lives of the townspeople. Like modern magazines, they related stories of important events, depicted prominent citizens in the community, and functioned as a record to preserve events for later generations.

The author of this passage makes her point by
A) comparing something foreign with something more familiar to her readers
B)citing examples to refute an opposing conclusion
C)stating her opinion and explaining why she holds it
D)expressing as fact something that is merely an opinion
E)reducing art to its function as a means of communication
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 172

Premium Member
Re: In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 20:11
Can't expect this to be a real GMAT question. Quite bowled out by the OA :-(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 82

Re: In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 23:08
mba1382 wrote:
Can't expect this to be a real GMAT question. Quite bowled out by the OA :-(

Thats y i posted this question here.. I even cant understand the stimulus completly.. look at the percentage of wrong .99% in seven sessions..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 401

Re: In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 14:40
Seems obvious A to me...

the author is clearly comparing the old method of presenting everyday life and the modern method...

Here the author makes an analogy.

Hope it helps!

Think outside the box

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 61

Re: In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 16:52
In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedrals were perceived less as works of art than as chronicles of the ordinary lives of the townspeople. Like modern magazines, they related stories of important events, depicted prominent citizens in the community, and functioned as a record to preserve events for later generations.

A) comparing something foreign with something more familiar to her readers.....not really
B)citing examples to refute an opposing conclusionexample is in line with conclusion
C)stating her opinion and explaining why she holds it.....correct
D)expressing as fact something that is merely an opinion...not really
E)reducing art to its function as a means of communication....abstract opinion asked for...not literally
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 401

Re: In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 03:39
semwal wrote:

A) comparing something foreign with something more familiar to her readers.....not really
B)citing examples to refute an opposing conclusionexample is in line with conclusion
C)stating her opinion and explaining why she holds it.....correct
D)expressing as fact something that is merely an opinion...not really
E)reducing art to its function as a means of communication....abstract opinion asked for...not literally

Where do you see an opinion here??

Think outside the box

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 61

Re: In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 04:06
dear paris75
i think i was wrong....
actually its not an opinion but a fact........fact that "In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedrals were perceived less as works of art than as chronicles of the ordinary lives of the townspeople".
And its being compared to " modern magazines".

what diverted me from the correct answer "A" was the use of word FOREIGN......IT IS DEFINITELY A COMPARISON THOUGH........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 29

Re: In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 04:22
I hot confused between A and C but went with A because of the 'Like modern magazines' part.Obviously this would be more familiar to the readers and she uses this analogy to support her conclusion.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 242

Re: In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2015, 12:00
sanjoo wrote:

A) comparing something foreign with something more familiar to her readers
B)citing examples to refute an opposing conclusion
C)stating her opinion and explaining why she holds it
D)expressing as fact something that is merely an opinion
E)reducing art to its function as a means of communication

I wonder where is the reference to something "foreign" in this question? Don't like this question. I picked D and was surprised to see the correct answer

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Re: In the twelfth century the stained glass windows of cathedra   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2015, 12:00