Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Posts: 258
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2003, 02:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (00:00) correct 50% (02:13) wrong based on 0 sessions
In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in automobile accidents are typically more severe than in Europe, where laws require a different kind of safety belt. It is clear from this that the United States needs to adopt more stringent standards for safety belt design to protect automobile passengers better.
Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument
above EXCEPT:
(A) Europeans are more likely to wear safety belts
than are people in the United States.
(B) Unlike United States drivers, European drivers
receive training in how best to react in the
event of an accident to minimize injuries to
themselves and to their passengers.
(C) Cars built for the European market tend to
have more sturdy construction than do cars
built for the United States market.
(D) Automobile passengers in the United States
have a greater statistical chance of being
involved in an accident than do passengers in
Europe.
(E) States that have recently begun requiring the
European safety belt have experienced no
reduction in the average severity of injuries
suffered by passengers in automobile
accidents.

please explain.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2003
Posts: 96
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2003, 06:15
A

Autor argues that safety belts are the primary cause in reducing the severity of injuries in accidents. A supports this assumption
All other undermine the argument
_________________

Brainless

CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2003, 10:35
Brainless wrote:
A

Autor argues that safety belts are the primary cause in reducing the severity of injuries in accidents. A supports this assumption
All other undermine the argument


Brain

A weakens the argument...its says that its not the seat belt, its the
tendency not to wear seat belts that causes the accidents.

I think D

We dont know what statistical basis is used for this statement...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Posts: 258
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 05:53
good D is correct.
At first i thought statement weakens the argument.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2003
Posts: 96
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 16:38
praetorian123 wrote:
Brainless wrote:
A

Autor argues that safety belts are the primary cause in reducing the severity of injuries in accidents. A supports this assumption
All other undermine the argument


Brain

A weakens the argument...its says that its not the seat belt, its the
tendency not to wear seat belts that causes the accidents.

I think D

We dont know what statistical basis is used for this statement...


I still feel choice A gives more than enough info to support the assumption made by author , that, not wearing a properly designed safety belt(in US) is as good in resulting more severe injuries as 'wearing an improperly designed safety belt'

As far as D is concerned, It merely emphasizes a stastistical report that there are more accidents in US than in Europe, but does not make one believe that how many of these accidents actually resulted in severe injuries for not wearing a safety belt. Therfore it neither strengthens nor weakens the argument.

Please clarify
_________________

Brainless

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2003
Posts: 73
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Safety belts [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2003, 19:31
Vicky wrote:
In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in automobile accidents are typically more severe than in Europe, where laws require a different kind of safety belt. It is clear from this that the United States needs to adopt more stringent standards for safety belt design to protect automobile passengers better.
Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument
above EXCEPT:
(A) Europeans are more likely to wear safety belts
than are people in the United States.
(B) Unlike United States drivers, European drivers
receive training in how best to react in the
event of an accident to minimize injuries to
themselves and to their passengers.
(C) Cars built for the European market tend to
have more sturdy construction than do cars
built for the United States market.
(D) Automobile passengers in the United States
have a greater statistical chance of being
involved in an accident than do passengers in
Europe.
(E) States that have recently begun requiring the
European safety belt have experienced no
reduction in the average severity of injuries
suffered by passengers in automobile
accidents.

please explain.

level of "injuries to passengers" is implied to depend on "standards for safety belt". A shows that it is not. According to A, the reason is "more likely to wear safety belts". so A undermines the argument.
D has nothing to do with argument. so D is ok
_________________

I have 2 month for gmat.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Posts: 74
Location: california
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2003, 13:01
brain,

i think you just answered you own question in your last post....A is wrong b/c:

the issue: Europe has less severe accidents b/c it has stringent safety belt laws (better type of belt or whatever...),....then the argument says that the US needs to adopt this type of safety belt standard to better protect passengers....

we need to find something that doesn't weaken this argument...and the best way to do that is to eliminate everything that does weaken this argument...and in order to weaken the argument, we just need to show that the even if the safety belt standards were adopted in the US, the accidents would still be severe...or in other words...there is another reason that the accidents in Europe are less severe

A:clearly weakens the argument b/c it shows that Europeans are more likely to wear safety belts...remember that the argument says that better safety belts would make injuries less severe in the US...well, if the Europeans are more likely to wear them, then that destroys the argument...b/c even though the US might have better belts, they're not going to wear them so the argument is moot....

and if you read closely B, C, and E all give "other" reasons why the accidents in Europe are less severe...and remember as I said before, an alternate cause is what we need to show lack of support for the conclusion....

consequently, the only choice left is D...and as you said Brainless, D neither supports or weakens the argument....which is what makes it the correct answer...remember, we are not looking for an answer that supports the conclusion...the question merely asks, which one does NOT WEAKEN the argument....and that would be D....precisely b/c it does nothing...it just gives us some useless information....we don't care what else it does to the argument, it could support it or not...BUT AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT WEAKEN THE ARGUMET, it is the answer...hope that makes sense...
  [#permalink] 21 Oct 2003, 13:01
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in goldgoldandgold 6 18 Aug 2009, 18:30
In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in dred 5 03 Jan 2007, 16:13
In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in sperinko 9 20 Aug 2006, 07:26
In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in sgrover 10 30 Jun 2006, 17:51
In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in remgeo 9 06 Apr 2006, 04:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.