Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 09:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

46% (02:29) correct 54% (01:20) wrong based on 85 sessions
In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in automobile accidents are typically more severe than in Europe, where laws require a different kind of safety belt. It is clear from this that the United States needs to adopt more stringent standards for safety belt design to protect automobile passengers better.
Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument above EXCEPT:
(A) Europeans are more likely to wear safety belts than are people in the United States.
(B) Unlike United States drivers, European drivers receive training in how best to react in the event of an accident to minimize injuries to themselves and to their passengers.
(C) Cars built for the European market tend to have more sturdy construction than do cars built for the United States market.
(D) Automobile passengers in the United States have a greater statistical chance of being involved in an accident than do passengers in Europe.
(E) States that have recently begun requiring the European safety belt have experienced no reduction in the average severity of injuries suffered by passengers in automobile accidents.

Cheers,
SD

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
option D.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [2] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
SudiptoGmat wrote:
In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in automobile accidents are typically more severe than in Europe, where laws require a different kind of safety belt. It is clear from this that the United States needs to adopt more stringent standards for safety belt design to protect automobile passengers better.
(A) Europeans are more likely to wear safety belts than are people in the United States.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Clearly explains that its not the belt but the habit of europeans. So out

(B) Unlike United States drivers, European drivers receive training in how best to react in the event of an accident to minimize injuries to themselves and to their passengers.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Clearly explains that its not the belt but the training which help them. So out

(C) Cars built for the European market tend to have more sturdy construction than do cars built for the United States market.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
If the car is more sturdy them chances of severe accident becomes less. so out

(D) Automobile passengers in the United States have a greater statistical chance of being involved in an accident than do passengers in Europe.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Completely out of scope and doesnt explain why safety belt will not reduce the chances of severe accident

(E) States that have recently begun requiring the European safety belt have experienced no reduction in the average severity of injuries suffered by passengers in automobile accidents.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
So belt is not so effective as was thought to be so out

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 11:46
SudiptoGmat wrote:
(A) Europeans are more likely to wear safety belts than are people in the United States.weakens.
(B) Unlike United States drivers, European drivers receive training in how best to react in the event of an accident to minimize injuries to themselves and to their passengers.weakens
(C) Cars built for the European market tend to have more sturdy construction than do cars built for the United States market.does a sturdy construction ensure less severe injuries..Cant be sure acc to me..Best answer..
(D) Automobile passengers in the United States have a greater statistical chance of being involved in an accident than do passengers in Europe.weakens
(E) States that have recently begun requiring the European safety belt have experienced no reduction in the average severity of injuries suffered by passengers in automobile accidents.weaken.

the answer is C acc to me..from the passage any reason that strengthens or is neutral towards the conclusion is the answer..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 11:59
OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Cheers,
SD

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 197 [3] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
IMO.... D

(A) Europeans are more likely to wear safety belts than are people in the United States. - Weakens

(B) Unlike United States drivers, European drivers receive training in how best to react in the event of an accident to minimize injuries to themselves and to their passengers. - Weakens

(C) Cars built for the European market tend to have more sturdy construction than do cars built for the United States market. - Weakens

(D) Automobile passengers in the United States have a greater statistical chance of being involved in an accident than do passengers in Europe. - Correct. As this statement has no effect on the conclusion of the stem. The conclusion is "the United States needs to adopt more stringent standards for safety belt design to protect automobile passengers better." This option only says the passengers have greater chance of accident in US. The reason could be anything!

(E) States that have recently begun requiring the European safety belt have experienced no reduction in the average severity of injuries suffered by passengers in automobile accidents. - Weakens

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 05:36
After going through the options, I have reduced my answer options to D and E.
Among these two, I would choose E. Because:

E mentiones that "States that have recently begun requiring the European safety belt have experienced no reduction in the average....... "
If we obsere the BOLD letter - Requiring - in the above statement, it is clear that the states have not yet implemented the rule but just conemplating of doing it so. And this options-E, as whole neither weaken not strengthen the argument, hnce the answer.

Coming to option D, it says that there are some other reasons(statistical) other than the lack of safetly belt to the severe accidents in US. In a way, it eakens the argument, hence its not the correct answed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 06:49
Sudipto...where did you get the question. Although I got the answer right (i.e. D), I was not sure about the argument after reading the choices.

I phrase argument like: More stringent safety belt designs would better protect passengers in US as already shown in Europe.
I thought there was a scope shift in 'different kind' to 'design'

After reading the answers I had to rephrase my argument: US needs more stringent rules to protect US passengers.
I am little unsure about all this.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 02:54
D) Automobile passengers in the United States have a greater statistical chance of being involved in an accident than do passengers in Europe.

the ans should be D since more number of injuries and severity of injury is completely different
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 10:10
its D

Consider kudos for good explanations.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 13:23
D is my guess. . .statement indicates a greater chance of accident. . this is not relevent to the conclusion. . .does not strengthen or weaken
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 20

Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 06:14
I agree with the opinions of the most, i.e., D.
But, initially I overlooked the word EXCEPT in the question and struggled a lot. Need to read questions carefully... :roll:

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

VP
VP
Followers: 204

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 01:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2014, 01:29