Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 03:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the united states, of the people who moved from one state

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 71

In the united states, of the people who moved from one state [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 08:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:38) correct 36% (01:01) wrong based on 110 sessions
In the united states, of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the percentage who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years. Since many local businesses in Florida cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeable negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the follow, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A) Florida attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.

B) The number of people who move out of Florida to accept employment in other states has increased over the past ten years.

C) There are more local businesses in Florida that cater to tourists than there are local busineeses that cater to retirees.

D) The total number of people who retired and move to another state fro their retirement has increased significantly over the past ten years.

E) The number of people who left Florida when they retired to live in another state was greater last year than it was ten years ago.

Thanks be include explanation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

5 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 245 [5] , given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In the united states, of the people who moved from one state [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 22:26
This post received
KUDOS
Sarang wrote:
Still did not get how answer D is correct.
D) The total number of people who retired and move to another state fro their retirement has increased significantly over the past ten years.

How does this prevent the decline and therby the negative economic impact?

This question belongs to NUMBER & STATISTIC, you should notice that the figure in the argument is only percentage (decline 3%). However, in choice D, it stated that the overall amount of target market (retirees) increase SIGNIFICANTLY. Therefore, declining 3% does not mean that reduce in the amount of target market. So, the businesses cater to retirees will not be affected adversely.

Hope my explanation clarifies your mind :D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 2

Re: In the united states, of the people who moved from one state [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
anonimo wrote:
tuanquang269 wrote:
Sarang wrote:

This question belongs to NUMBER & STATISTIC, you should notice that the figure in the argument is only percentage (decline 3%). However, in choice D, it stated that the overall amount of target market (retirees) increase SIGNIFICANTLY. Therefore, declining 3% does not mean that reduce in the amount of target market. So, the businesses cater to retirees will not be affected adversely.

I understand what you mean, but answer choice D says that "total number of people who retired and moved to another state…" but it does´t say "in Florida" that it´s the scope of the question. We are talking about local business in Florida. So, It might be possible that the total number of retirees had increased but maybe they had moved to California, so local business in Florida would be in danger.

Hello Anonimo.
Breaking the argument, as pointed out, depends on understanding the possible statistical flaw involved here.
The author says "There will be a noticeable negative economic effect on these businesses"
This he says because the percentage who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years
Let's understand what this means - Out of all the retirees who retired to different locations the percentage of people who retired to florida has dropped by 3%.
For instance if the percent of retirees retiring to florida was 33% it's probably dropped to 30% now. The assumption here is that the total number of retirees now and 10 years back is more or less the same.

Lets consider that 10 years back there were 10,000 total retirees; now there are probably 20,000. Is 33% or 10,000 bigger than 30% of 20,000? NO!
This is the flaw in his argument.

Option D points out exactly this. Thus option D is Correct.

Hope that helps! :)
- Peo , Academic Manager

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 50

Re: retirement [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:12
vwjetty wrote:
In the united states, of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the percentage who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years. Since many local businesses in Florida cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeable negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the follow, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A) Florida attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.

B) The number of people who move out of Florida to accept employment in other states has increased over the past ten years.

C) There are more local businesses in Florida that cater to tourists than there are local busineeses that cater to retirees.

E) The number of people who left Florida when they retired to live in another state was greater last year than it was ten years ago.

Thanks be include explanation.

I have just started out with my CR preparation and hence my reasoning might be a little rusty. Anyway here is what I think.

The question stem important conclusion is -- [highlight]this decline is likely to have a noticeable negative economic effect on these (which cater to retired ppl) businesses.[/highlight]

Here are the answer choices.

This is a relative comparison of Florida with other states. Not relevant.

This talks about people moving out of Florida for employment and does not shed light on the retired people. Not relevant.

At first glance this seemed to be a candidate but later found that this sentence talks about the difference between the different business and such a difference might have existed even before the stated premise -- (the percentage who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years). Also this choice supports the argument in the question. Hence this choice is ruled out.

This choice talks about the increase in the total number of people who have moved to another state. This is exactly different to the conclusion/argument proposed in the question. Hence this is a very strong candidate.

This choice supports the argument proposed in the question. Hence ruled out.

Answer is D.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 20

Re: In the united states, of the people who moved from one state [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 15:26

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 20

Re: In the united states, of the people who moved from one state [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 05:18
tuanquang269 wrote:
Sarang wrote:

@ tuanquang269, Thanks for nice explaination, 1 kudos to you..!
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: In the united states, of the people who moved from one state [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 03:44
very common trap .......number to percentage blunder.......

IMO:D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In the united states, of the people who moved from one state [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 02:54
tuanquang269 wrote:
Sarang wrote:

I understand what you mean, but answer choice D says that "total number of people who retired and moved to another state…" but it does´t say "in Florida" that it´s the scope of the question. We are talking about local business in Florida. So, It might be possible that the total number of retirees had increased but maybe they had moved to California, so local business in Florida would be in danger.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 284

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the united states, of the people who moved from one state [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 21:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the united states, of the people who moved from one state   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2014, 21:20