Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:05

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the United States, of the people who moved from one state

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
In the United States, of the people who moved from one state [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 11:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

59% (02:01) correct 41% (01:39) wrong based on 14 sessions
In the United States, of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the percentage
who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years. Since many local
businesses in Florida cater to retirees, these declines are likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect
on these businesses and therefore on the economy of Florida.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument given?
(A) People who moved from one state to another when they retired moved a greater distance, on average,
last year than such people did ten years ago.
(B) People were more likely to retire to North Carolina from another state last year than people were
ten years ago.
(C) The number of people who moved from one state to another when they retired has increased significantly
over the past ten years.
(D) The number of people who left Florida when they retired to live in another state was greater last year than
it was ten years ago.
(E) Florida attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other
state.

please help on this...

will post the OA later
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
ans C..
the argument tells us that % has gone down by 3.... but what if the no of people migrating has incr substantially.. in that case the shortage by decr of 3% is made up by overall no incr
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 12:08
Agreed...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 08:22
Yup C seems right.

Rock On

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 13:15
Ya C is the best choice!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LSB
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 18:26
This post received
KUDOS
Correct answer is D
Anand's explaination: Guys this is a beauty. Please hammer this into your head. This is a standard percentage trap. Let me elaborate.

Assume that last year 1000 people in the US moved out of state to retire.
Of this say 10% moved to Florida = 100 people
So 90% moved to states other than Florida right?

This year 20000 people moved to other state to retire.
Of this say 8% moved to florida = 160 people.
So 92% moved to states other than Florida right?

Though the %of people moving to Florida has decreased (because %of people moving to otherstates has increased) number of people moving to Florida has infact increased from 100 to 160. So the local businesses are gonna do great.

The bold portion is what (D) says and thus weakens the argument more seriously than (C).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 13:10
sagarsabnis wrote:
In the United States, of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the percentage
who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years. Since many local
businesses in Florida cater to retirees, these declines are likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect
(A) People who moved from one state to another when they retired moved a greater distance, on average,
last year than such people did ten years ago.
(B) People were more likely to retire to North Carolina from another state last year than people were
ten years ago.
(C) The number of people who moved from one state to another when they retired has increased significantly
over the past ten years.
(D) The number of people who left Florida when they retired to live in another state was greater last year than
it was ten years ago.
(E) Florida attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other
state.

please help on this...

will post the OA later

I have a slightly diff opinion abt the options..

A.Irrelevant..distance is not spoken about in the argument.
B.Irrelevant....North Carolina is not mentioned in the argument.
C.Agreed that the number of people moving to other states has increased but it cannot be assumed that the people are moving to Florida as well..hence it does not weaken the argument.
D.If at all this strengthens the argument.
E.Correct..since it speaks about Florida's ability to attract more people after they retire thus it implies that the declines will not have negative effect.

OA please..please correct me if i am wrong,.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 13:19
OA is C

now after looking at all the explanations options C D and E all are looking correct to me :?
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 07:29
I've come across this question before and think I got it right by a little POE. See my explanations below.

sagarsabnis wrote:
last year than such people did ten years ago.Out of scope.
ten years ago. Out of scope.
over the past ten years. If this is true, the number of people who moved to Florida could actually be more than last year. The passage states that the percentage, of the people who moved from one state to another, who moved to Florida decreased by 3%. This answer is stating that the sample pool (or number of people moving) has increased significantly. So, theoretically, the ACTUAL number of people who moved to FL can be more this year than it was over the past 10 years, even though that number correlates to a 3% drop in TOTAL number of people moving to another state. This would have a positive effect on FL's economy, therefore weakening the argument.
it was ten years ago.Seems to strengthen argument. The more people that leave, the more the economy of FL will suffer.
state.This says nothing about the number people actually moving to FL or the trend of movements over the past 10 years. Just because more people are attracted to FL doesn't necessarily mean they will move there IMO.

please help on this...

will post the OA later
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 07:46
Well done!!! perserverance. Nice explanation.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 10:41
Pereverance,

I am still in a bit of a quandry over this question and answer. Actually I do not like nay of the answers. Is this an OG question? How is C not out of scope. It tlaks about all people moving to all states. Tis is an aggregate number with no mention of Florida specifically. You have to make an assumption about the distibution of the people moving to each state and to Florida. Question C seesm to be the most plausibel it is still a stretch. Please comment. Thanks.

perseverance wrote:
I've come across this question before and think I got it right by a little POE. See my explanations below.

sagarsabnis wrote:
last year than such people did ten years ago.Out of scope.
ten years ago. Out of scope.
over the past ten years. If this is true, the number of people who moved to Florida could actually be more than last year. The passage states that the percentage, of the people who moved from one state to another, who moved to Florida decreased by 3%. This answer is stating that the sample pool (or number of people moving) has increased significantly. So, theoretically, the ACTUAL number of people who moved to FL can be more this year than it was over the past 10 years, even though that number correlates to a 3% drop in TOTAL number of people moving to another state. This would have a positive effect on FL's economy, therefore weakening the argument.
it was ten years ago.Seems to strengthen argument. The more people that leave, the more the economy of FL will suffer.
state.This says nothing about the number people actually moving to FL or the trend of movements over the past 10 years. Just because more people are attracted to FL doesn't necessarily mean they will move there IMO.

please help on this...

will post the OA later

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny - Elaine Maxwell

Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 11:08
Rbriscoe,
I can't say with exact confidence because I came across it about a month ago and have forgotten the source, but I believe it's an OG question. The aggregate number you mention is actually mentioned in the passage:

"In the United States, of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, ..."

Yes, I agree there is no mention of Florida specifically but there is a theoretical relationship between the number of people moving to Florida and the total number of people moving to different states. This is because the number of people moving to Florida is mentioned in the passage as a percentage of the total aggregate number of people moving. It says nothing about the actual number of people moving to Florida. So I wouldn't say C is out of scope. If the total number of people moving to different states has increased significantly over the past 10 years (answer C), then the actual number of people moving to Florida (because it's a percentage of total people moving) could actually have increased.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 11:23
Ok, thanks for the answer. After re-reading the question and answer and given your explaination, I understand your logic. Thanks

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny - Elaine Maxwell

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 22:58
magicmover wrote:
Correct answer is D
Anand's explaination: Guys this is a beauty. Please hammer this into your head. This is a standard percentage trap. Let me elaborate.

Assume that last year 1000 people in the US moved out of state to retire.
Of this say 10% moved to Florida = 100 people
So 90% moved to states other than Florida right?

This year 20000 people moved to other state to retire.
Of this say 8% moved to florida = 160 people.
So 92% moved to states other than Florida right?

Though the %of people moving to Florida has decreased (because %of people moving to otherstates has increased) number of people moving to Florida has infact increased from 100 to 160. So the local businesses are gonna do great.

The bold portion is what (D) says and thus weakens the argument more seriously than (C).

Dear magicmover
your explaination is exactly on the track
the only problem with D is that it talks about only 2 year
1 present year
2 and the 10 years ago

it dosent talk about the continuous period

The number of people who moved from one state to another when they retired has increased significantly
over the past ten years.
only C talks about the period (by saying over the past 10 years)

The number of people who left Florida when they retired to live in another state was greater last year than
it was ten years ago.
while D talks about only two situations (by saying 10 years ago)

Hope its clear now :( :? :?

WarLocK

Re: In the United States   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2011, 22:58