Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the United States, vacationers account for more than half

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 181

Re: In the United States, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 03:58
Hmmmmmmmmmm ... I still believe that B is out of scope . Can any body clarify more why B in particular ? Thanks in advance

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 990 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In the United States, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 04:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TheNona wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmm ... I still believe that B is out of scope . Can any body clarify more why B in particular ? Thanks in advance

Hi TheNona,

In the United States, vacationers account for more than half of all visitors to what are technically called “pure aquariums” but for fewer than one quarter of all visitors to zoos, which usually include a “zoo aquarium” of relatively modest scope.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to account for the difference described above between visitors to zoos and visitors to pure aquariums?

(A) In cities that have both a zoo and a pure aquarium, local residents are twice as likely to visit the aquarium as they are to visit the zoo.
(B) Virtually all large metropolitan areas have zoos, whereas only a few large metropolitan areas have pure aquariums.
(C) Over the last ten years, newly constructed pure aquariums have outnumbered newly established zoos by a factor of two to one.
(D) People who visit a zoo in a given year are two times more likely to visit a pure aquarium that year than are people who do not visit a zoo.
(E) The zoo aquariums of zoos that are in the same city as a pure aquarium tend to be smaller than the aquariums of zoos that have no pure aquarium nearby.

The stimulus says that Vacations account of > 50% (lets say 50) of all visitors at "aquariums", this implies that the rest i.e. < 50% (50) are locals. But these same visitors account for < 25% (50) of all visitors (\frac{25* 50}{100}= 200) at) "Zoos"; this would imply that >75% (200 - 25 = 175) are locals.

If there must be more zoos than pure aquariums, then people from other areas (vacationers) will visit the places which are not available to them in their local areas.

This is a tough question and it could be difficult to answer it correctly under 2 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 181

Re: In the United States, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 08:55
Wow !!! really tough !!!! thank you vercules for the explanation

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the United States, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 15:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the United States, vacationers account for more than half   [#permalink] 01 May 2014, 15:18