Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the United States, vacationers account for more than half

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
In the United States, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 10:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

41% (02:27) correct 59% (02:11) wrong based on 380 sessions
In the United States, vacationers account for more than half of all visitors to what are technically called “pure aquariums” but for fewer than one quarter of all visitors to zoos, which usually include a “zoo aquarium” of relatively modest scope.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to account for the difference described above between visitors to zoos and visitors to pure aquariums?

(A) In cities that have both a zoo and a pure aquarium, local residents are twice as likely to visit the aquarium as they are to visit the zoo.
(B) Virtually all large metropolitan areas have zoos, whereas only a few large metropolitan areas have pure aquariums.
(C) Over the last ten years, newly constructed pure aquariums have outnumbered newly established zoos by a factor of two to one.
(D) People who visit a zoo in a given year are two times more likely to visit a pure aquarium that year than are people who do not visit a zoo.
(E) The zoo aquariums of zoos that are in the same city as a pure aquarium tend to be smaller than the aquariums of zoos that have no pure aquarium nearby.

==
Explain your Ans pls.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 18:24
A bit tricky but here goes my explanation:

It's a numbers based question - so let's say there are 50 visitors to pure aquariums and 50 visitors to zoo aquariums. The argument says that around 30 visitors to pure aquariums are vacationers where as around 10 visitors to zoo aquariums are vacationers. How to explain this discrepancy ?

(A) In cities that have both a zoo and a pure aquarium, local residents are twice as likely to visit the aquarium as they are to visit the zoo.
Argument is about vacationers/tourists - not locals : Rule out
(B) Virtually all large metropolitan areas have zoos, whereas only a few large metropolitan areas have pure aquariums.
Visiting metropolitan/urban areas is not mentioned in the argument - OOS
(C) Over the last ten years, newly constructed pure aquariums have outnumbered newly established zoos by a factor of two to one.
So this essentially means there are more pure aquariums than zoo aquariums. Doesn't help to understand why more tourists are going to PA's as opposed to ZA's.
(D) People who visit a zoo in a given year are two times more likely to visit a pure aquarium that year than are people who do not visit a zoo.
Compelling evidence : If a visitor visits a ZA and is prompted to go to a PA - he adds to the existing traffic of tourists to PA. So this contributes to more tourist traffic to PA, explaining the paradox.
(E) The zoo aquariums of zoos that are in the same city as a pure aquarium tend to be smaller than the aquariums of zoos that have no pure aquarium nearby.
OOS - the size of aquariums is irrelevant.

-pradeep

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 19:51
agree with D.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 22:09
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is B.
There are few aquariums so this explains why there are more visitors from other cities.
13 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 139 [13] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
In the United States, vacationers account for more than half of all visitors to what are technically called “pure aquariums” but for fewer than one quarter of all visitors to zoos, which usually include a “zoo aquarium” of relatively modest scope.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to account for the difference described above between visitors to zoos and visitors to pure aquariums?

Explanation:
---------------------
(A) In cities that have both a zoo and a pure aquarium, local residents are twice as likely to visit the aquarium as they are to visit the zoo. ---> This option mentions only local residents. So, discard it.

(B) Virtually all large metropolitan areas have zoos, whereas only a few large metropolitan areas have pure aquariums. ---> Well, I could easily figure out this option as the answer by method of elimination but to provide reasoning as to why this should be correct, I referred Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (The dictionary you can trust - 30 million copies sold :) ), which states a vacationer as a holidaymaker (a person who is visiting a place on holiday/vacation). So, this option makes sense. If few large metropolitan areas have pure aquariums, then people from other places will have to visit these areas that have pure aquariums.

(C) Over the last ten years, newly constructed pure aquariums have outnumbered newly established zoos by a factor of two to one. ---> Inconclusive because we don’t have any idea about the number of zoos and aquariums that were present 10 years back.

(D) People who visit a zoo in a given year are two times more likely to visit a pure aquarium that year than are people who do not visit a zoo. ---> It only mentions likelihood (having a high probability) but not certainty. So, we can discard it.

(E) The zoo aquariums of zoos that are in the same city as a pure aquarium tend to be smaller than the aquariums of zoos that have no pure aquarium nearby. ---> It’s comparing irrelevant information (zoo aquariums of zoos & aquariums of zoos that have no pure aquarium nearby).
---------------------

My choice is option B.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 20:50
@Technext
I Salute you :)
sometimes I wonder how much patience you have (while explaining CR Qs)
Yr Explanations are wonderful. I am yet to read it fully(As i am weak in logic/reasoning) but talking in general

+1 for you

OA-B

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 19:06
I missed this one but ans B seems obvious..

if more zoos are present at more places then the proportion of local people visiting the zoo is higher than vacationers.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 99 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Ah, finally got one right. :-D

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, Hass, Ross, NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2010, 12:14
silasaaa2 wrote:
I missed this one but ans B seems obvious..

if more zoos are present at more places then the proportion of local people visiting the zoo is higher than vacationers.

POE works best in this problem.
Even though I didn't understand the full implication of choice B in the first go, I was able to figure out that other options just don't apply to the context.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 13:23
pple mention POE...how does this work? Method of Elimination...
w/o a particular rule how can one eliminate?

The best way I could attack this problem was trying to be in the area of the premise/facts.
A simple answer such as "B" attacks it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 13:55
nice one textnet.....I chose C :( Using POE i was left with B & C
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
"Well, I could easily figure out this option as the answer by method of elimination but to provide reasoning as to why this should be correct, I referred Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (The dictionary you can trust - 30 million copies sold ), which states a vacationer as a holidaymaker (a person who is visiting a place on holiday/vacation). So, this option makes sense. If few large metropolitan areas have pure aquariums, then people from other places will have to visit these areas that have pure aquariums."

don't really understand the basis for the highlighted text..simple question why would they HAVE TO VISIT??
to some ve to extent i would have to agree with D

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 193

Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 10:52
good one

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 14:45
Not a bad question. Bah, got this one wrong.

nitya34 wrote:

B

==
Explain yr Ans pls.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 07:12
nitya34 wrote:

B

==
Explain yr Ans pls.

Hey, what's the source?

Not a single answer choice fits perfectly imo. I guess B is the closest, but it still assumes too much. Again, this is my opinion.

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 06:25
agreed ...its B
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zoo Aquariums--Tricky for me [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 20:50
The answer is B.

You need to find a reason as to why more vacationers are visiting pure aquariums over zoos. B argues this by stating that most cities have zoos but very few have aquariums. Therefore people are more likely to be local at their zoo and be a visiting vacationer at an aquarium.
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the United States, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 21:45
nitya34 wrote:

==
Explain your Ans pls.

i had got confused with B and D and then went with B...now i feel that B is the right answer

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 85

Re: In the United States, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 03:12
One little helpful trick here is to try and figure out an explanation even before you read the options.

Why would there be many more tourists to aquariums than to zoos? maybe because there are more zoos for the locals to visit.

If a family has one aquarium close to home and two zoos it makes sense for them to visit the aquarium one time a year, and each of the two zoos one time. Resulting in a bigger number of locals visiting zoos.

Or another explanation could be that the zoo changes animals more often so it makes more sense for locals to go visit more often.

If you scan the options and find one that s coherent with your train of thoughts (like in this case) then you are in a good spot.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Re: In the United States, vacationers account for more than half   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2013, 03:12