Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the USA, Vacationers account for more than half of all

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 21

In the USA, Vacationers account for more than half of all [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 17:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (02:40) correct 55% (02:06) wrong based on 183 sessions
In the USA, Vacationers account for more than half of all visitors to what are technically called "pure aquariums" but for fewer than one quarter of all visitors to zoos, which simply include a "zoo aquarium" of modest scope.

Which of the following, if true, helps to account for the difference described above between visitors to zoos and visitors to pure aquariums?

A. In cities that have both a zoo and a pure aquarium, local residents are twice as likely to visit the aquarium as they are to visit the zoo

B. Virtually all large metropolitan areas have zoos, whereas only a few metropolitan areas have pure aquariums.

C. Over the last 10 years newly constructed pure aquariums have outnumbered newly established zoos by a factor of 2 to 1

D. People who visit zoos in a given year are two times more likely to visit a pure aquarium that year than are people who do not visit the zoo.

E. The Zoo aquariums of Zoos that are in the same city as a pure aquarium tend to be smaller than the aquariums of zoos that have no pure aquarium nearby.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by jgomey on 23 Jan 2013, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 02:39
Expert's post
jgomey wrote:
In the USA, Vacationers account for more than half of all visitors to what are technically called "pure aquariums" but for fewer than one quarter of all visitors to zoos, which simply include a "zoo aquarium" of modest scope.

Which of the following, if true, helps to account for the difference described above between visitors to zoos and visitors to pure aquariums?

A. In cities that have both a zoo and a pure aquarium, local residents are twice as likely to visit the aquarium as they are to visit the zoo

B. Virtually all large metropolitan areas have zoos, whereas only a few metropolitan areas have pure aquariums.

C. Over the last 10 years newly constructed pure aquariums have outnumbered newly established zoos by a factor of 2 to 1

D. People who visit zoos in a given year are two times more likely to visit a pure aquarium that year than are people who do not visit the zoo.

E. The Zoo aquariums of Zoos that are in the same city as a pure aquarium tend to be smaller than the aquariums of zoos that have no pure aquarium nearby.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Lets chat first

Hii.
I feel its B.
My reasoning is that since there is a shortage of pure aquariums, therefore this shortage becomes a reason why there is difference.
Let me know if more clarification is required.
Regards.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2048 [0], given: 677

Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 03:49
Expert's post
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Said (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Sales (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 19

Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

Wrong Wrong direction if local residents (LRs) would be twice as likely to visit A then there would be less of them in Z. The passage supports that there are rather fewer LRs in A.

Correct One could conclude that people from other regions will go on vacation to visit A but not Z since they could do it at home. This would explain why the propotion of visitors to LRs is higher in A.

Wrong Out of scope. We do not care about the number of Z or A.

Wrong This says nothing about the relationship of the number of visitors to LRs in A or Z.

Wrong Size says nothing about the relationship between the number of visitors to LRs.

Hodor?

Kudo!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 06:40
Expert's post
I feel number can play a crucial role and the reason why C is being kicked is that it talks about NEW CONSTRUCTED ZOOS. lets see what others think.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:03
Am really having trouble in understanding this today:-(
Manager
Manager

Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 15:59
Triforce wrote:
Quote:

Wrong Wrong direction if local residents (LRs) would be twice as likely to visit A then there would be less of them in Z. The passage supports that there are rather fewer LRs in A.

Correct One could conclude that people from other regions will go on vacation to visit A but not Z since they could do it at home. This would explain why the propotion of visitors to LRs is higher in A.

Wrong Out of scope. We do not care about the number of Z or A.

Wrong This says nothing about the relationship of the number of visitors to LRs in A or Z.

Wrong Size says nothing about the relationship between the number of visitors to LRs.

Excellent Analysis!

I fell for C. My reasoning was as follows:

Since more aquariums are built, more aquariums exist compared to Zoos. This explains why more people are visiting aquariums. MY REASONING was clearly flawed, because I did not consider the possibility that more Zoos exist overall, despite the new construction.

B is the correct choice. As indicated earlier, less aquariums exist compared to the number of Zoos, so people must travel in order to visit a "Pure Aquarium."

Last edited by jgomey on 23 Jan 2013, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 17:49
Marcab wrote:
I feel number can play a crucial role and the reason why C is being kicked is that it talks about NEW CONSTRUCTED ZOOS. lets see what others think.

It's a trap-both nasty and deadly, and, perhaps, even downright dirty.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 13

Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 19:15
I also chose B, but for a different reason.

My thinking was that most pure aquariums are located in popular tourist destinations outside of metropolitan areas, so most of the visitors are on vacation. However, most of the zoos are in big cities and are thus mostly visited by local residents.

The creators of the question probably meant the other explanation, though, namely that if people can go to a zoo at home, they choose a pure aquarium while on vacation.

Sergey Orshanskiy, Ph.D.
I tutor in NYC: http://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/NY/New-Yor ... ref=1RKFOZ

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4453 [0], given: 162

Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 20:26
Expert's post
jgomey wrote:

Since more aquariums are built, more aquariums exist compared to Zoos. This explains why more people are visiting aquariums. MY REASONING was clearly flawed, because I did not consider the possibility that more Zoos exist overall, despite the new construction.

B is the correct choice. As indicated earlier, less aquariums exist compared to the number of Zoos, so people must travel in order to visit a "Pure Aquarium."

Actually, notice another thing. You don't have to explain why more people are visiting pure aquariums (actually that may not be true. Overall, the number of people visiting pure aquariums might be lesser). You have to explain why visitors to pure aquariums are 50% vacationers (and other 50% are perhaps local people) while visitors to zoos are only 25% vacationers while other 75% are local people. The number of people visiting the pure aquarium and the number visiting the zoo are not an issue at all. The issue is the different demography: vacationers vs locals.
The reasons can be two:
- Vacationers find pure aquariums attractive for some reason (as C explains - its because there are fewer pure aquariums)
- Local people prefer zoo over pure aquarium (probably because their kids want to visit zoos and often)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: In the USA, vacationers account for more than half [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 21:59
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
jgomey wrote:

Actually, notice another thing. You don't have to explain why more people are visiting pure aquariums (actually that may not be true. Overall, the number of people visiting pure aquariums might be lesser). You have to explain why visitors to pure aquariums are 50% vacationers (and other 50% are perhaps local people) while visitors to zoos are only 25% vacationers while other 75% are local people. The number of people visiting the pure aquarium and the number visiting the zoo are not an issue at all. The issue is the different demography: vacationers vs locals.
The reasons can be two:
- Vacationers find pure aquariums attractive for some reason (as C explains - its because there are fewer pure aquariums)
- Local people prefer zoo over pure aquarium (probably because their kids want to visit zoos and often)

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation
VP
VP
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the USA, Vacationers account for more than half of all [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 02:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 163

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In the USA, Vacationers account for more than half of all [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 10:47
Hi,

This is a paradox question. In a paradox question, incorrect answer choices are those which:
1. explain only one side of the paradox,
2. similarities and differences e.g. when a stem contains a paradox where two items are different and answer choice which explains why two are same, can never be an answer.( Power Score CR Concept)

Here applying rule1,

only B qualifies.
1 paradox: vacationers visit aquariums in large numbers
2 paradox: vacationers visit zoo aquarium in less numbers.

Hope it clarifies.

Regards,
Ashish
Re: In the USA, Vacationers account for more than half of all   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2014, 10:47