Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the wake of a series of fraud convictions and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 319

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In the wake of a series of fraud convictions and [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:27) correct 34% (01:31) wrong based on 91 sessions
In the wake of a series of fraud convictions and mismanagement scandals involving members of a five-person city council, a commentator for a local newspaper has suggested that the council create a sixth elected position. The person elected to the new position would be responsible for the daily operation of the city government, leaving the other council members time to talk with their constituents and to write legislation.
Which of the following, if true, points to the biggest flaw in the plan to curb corruption by adding a sixth elected position to the city council?

A. The council manager, though a voting member of the council, would not be allowed to introduce new legislation.
B. The council manager would have no control over other board members’ decisions about funds disbursement.
C. Each council member represents over 15,000 constituents and would not have time to talk with all of them.
D. The council manager is required to have a background in either accounting or business administration.
E. The city council must cooperate with the county government, which is also made up of elected officials.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by guerrero25 on 01 Jun 2013, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1127 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the wake of a series of fraud convictions and mismanagem [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS
We can rewrite the passage as:

The five persons were involved in a series of scandals(fraud convictions and mismanagement); a sixth person (responsible for the daily operation) would curb corruption.

We have to look for an answer that shows us, for example, that the 6th member will not be able to control the others, or will not have power on the others, or something similar.

A. The council manager, though a voting member of the council, would not be allowed to introduce new legislation.
Does the scandals invole "new legislations"? No, so this limit of the 6th person's powers will not affect his effectiveness.
B. The council manager would have no control over other board members’ decisions about funds disbursement.
IMO CORRECT: These frauds will not be limited by the 6th person, so his effectiveness is limited.
C. Each council member represents over 15,000 constituents and would not have time to talk with all of them.
This is not a good point to say that he cannot curb the corruption.(refer at the top)
D. The council manager is required to have a background in either accounting or business administration.
This is not a good point to say that he cannot curb the corruption.
E. The city council must cooperate with the county government, which is also made up of elected officials.
This is out of scope.

Waiting for the OA

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 57

Re: In the wake of a series of fraud convictions and mismanagem [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 14:26
Zarrolou wrote:
We can rewrite the passage as:

The five persons were involved in a series of scandals(fraud convictions and mismanagement); a sixth person (responsible for the daily operation) would curb corruption.

We have to look for an answer that shows us, for example, that the 6th member will not be able to control the others, or will not have power on the others, or something similar.

Does the scandals invole "new legislations"? No, so this limit of the 6th person's powers will not affect his effectiveness.
IMO CORRECT: These frauds will not be limited by the 6th person, so his effectiveness is limited.
This is not a good point to say that he cannot curb the corruption.(refer at the top)
This is not a good point to say that he cannot curb the corruption.
This is out of scope.

Waiting for the OA

I ruled out C,D,& E based on the same reasons mentioned above.

Between A & B - A can be ruled out because it is not mentioned that legislations are the reason, as noted above! But I missed that & chose A. On reviewing, I agree that B makes most sense.

But my question here is whether we can make the assumptions that legislation involves funds disbursement.....I guess it could?

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1127 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the wake of a series of fraud convictions and mismanagem [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 14:36
vishnuns39620 wrote:
I ruled out C,D,& E based on the same reasons mentioned above.

Between A & B - A can be ruled out because it is not mentioned that legislations are the reason, as noted above! But I missed that & chose A. On reviewing, I agree that B makes most sense.

But my question here is whether we can make the assumptions that legislation involves funds disbursement.....I guess it could?

Well, A says that he will be a voting member, so he can somehow limit those legislations.
But the passage new legislations=>funds disbursement=> fraud, requires an assumption (as you correctly say, but it may occur or not).
On the other hand the logic funds disbursement => fraud is more straightforward, and requires no assumption.

Hope this makes sense :)

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Re: In the wake of a series of fraud convictions and mismanagem   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2013, 14:36