Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the xy-coordinate plane, line l and line k intersect at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In the xy-coordinate plane, line l and line k intersect at [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 04:22
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (02:21) correct 46% (01:17) wrong based on 83 sessions
In the xy-coordinate plane, line l and line k intersect at the point (4,3). Is the product of their slope negative?

1) The product of the x-intercepts of lines l and k is positive.
2) The product of the y-intercepts of lines l and k is negative.

I cracked this question right. :wink:
But these types of questions are real horror for me.

Guys please elaborate your solution for me. Thank you.

I'll post the OA later.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 10:38
Well....its twice the horror for me man....below is the best I could come up with. If anyone can explain the solution clearly would be great. If this comes in the real thing, I'll most likely guess instead of trying to solve it.
------------------

Slope of line = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
We can assume (x2, y2) as (4,3)

From (1) either both x-intercepts are +ve or -ve so either (x1, 0) and (x2, 0)
If +ve, slope of L = (3 - 0)/(4 - x1) ... depends on value of x1
If -ve, slope of L = (3 - 0)/(4 - x1) ... which is positive.

Same goes for Line K.
Hence insufficient.

From (2) either one y-intercept is +ve and another is -ve so (0, y1) and (0, -y2)

Slope of L = (3 - y1)/(4 - 0) ... depends on value of y1
Slope of K = (3 - (-y2))/(4 - 0) ... which is positive

Hence insufficient

Taking both together, we still cannot say due to values of x1 and y1 unknown hence answer should be E.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 10:41
Here is a similar question...maybe this one will help somewhat (im going to take a look now)

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=29364
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 12:25
E should be the answer.

Deduced with help of rough sketch. Tried to make one with mspaint but too much hard work :roll:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 14:53
I'm going on answer (C)

For line L : 3 = 4*a(l) + b(l)
For line K : 3 = 4*a(k) + b(k)

1) Says us:

For L
xo(l)*a(l) + b(l) = 0
so,
xo(l)= -b(l)/ a(l)

Similarly, for k : xo(k)= -b(k)/ a(k)

xo(l) * xo(k) > 0
so, ( b(l)*b(n) ) / ( a(l)*a(n) ) > 0

Unsifficient

2) is : b(k)*b(l) < 0

Unsifficient

Combining (1) and (2), as b(k)*b(l) < 0 thus a(k)*a(l) < 0
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 19:01
Just thought of taking diagramatic approach for this & getting "C". Looks like following is the only possible solution.
Attachments

File comment: x-y Plane
xy.JPG
xy.JPG [ 5.68 KiB | Viewed 3405 times ]

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2006, 02:30
Looking at vivek's plot - we don't care whether blue line intersects X on positive or negative side - so I'll for B
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2006, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
The question becomes much simpler if you see whether the lines passing through point (4, 3) has any bearing on the sign of the slopes -- NO.

So, it comes down to the simple slope equation:
slope = y-intercept / x-intercept.

We need slope(l)*slope(k)

slope(l)*slope(k) = ((y-intercept of l) / x-intercept of l) * ((y-intercept of k / x-intercept of k)
= (y-intercept of l * y-intercept of k) / (x-intercept of l * y-intercept of x)

Using 1) and 2),
= (-ve) (+ve)
= -ve
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 06:13
ramk10 wrote:
The question becomes much simpler if you see whether the lines passing through point (4, 3) has any bearing on the sign of the slopes -- NO.

So, it comes down to the simple slope equation:
slope = y-intercept / x-intercept.

We need slope(l)*slope(k)

slope(l)*slope(k) = ((y-intercept of l) / x-intercept of l) * ((y-intercept of k / x-intercept of k)
= (y-intercept of l * y-intercept of k) / (x-intercept of l * y-intercept of x)

Using 1) and 2),
= (-ve) (+ve)
= -ve

oh bro you are cool, thanks kudos to you.

But in which situation we can say m=y/x

y=mx+b so why you think that b is 0?

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3243

Kudos [?]: 22383 [3] , given: 2616

Re: GMATPrep DS: xy-coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
M8 wrote:
In the xy-coordinate plane, line l and line k intersect at the point (4,3). Is the product of their slope negative?

I'll post the OA later.

In the xy coordinate plane, line L and line K intersect at the point (4,3). Is the product of their slopes negative?

We have two lines: y_l=m_1x+b_1 and y_k=m_2x+b_2. The question: is m_1*m_2<0?

Lines intersect at the point (4,3) --> 3=4m_1+b_1 and 3=4m_2+b_2

(1) The product of the x-intersects of lines L and K is positive. Now, one of the lines can intersect x-axis at 0<x<4 (positive slope) and another also at 0<x<4 (positive slope), so product of slopes also will be positive BUT it's also possible one line to intersect x-axis at 0<x<4 (positive slope) and another at x>4 (negative slope) and in this case product of slopes will be negative. Two different answers, hence not sufficient.

But from this statement we can deduce the following: x-intersect is value of x for y=0 and equals to x=-\frac{b}{m} --> so (-\frac{b_1}{m_1})*(-\frac{b_2}{m_2})>0 --> \frac{b_1b_2}{m_1m_2}>0.

(2) The product of the y-intersects of lines L and K is negative. Now, one of the lines can intersect y-axis at 0<y<3 (positive slope) and another at y<0 (positive slope), so product of slopes will also be positive BUT it's also possible one line to intersect y-axis at y<0 (positive slope) and another at y>3 (negative slope) and in this case product of slopes will be negative. Two different answers, hence not sufficient.

But from this statement we can deduce the following: y-intercept is value of y for x=0 and equals to x=b --> b_1*b_2<0.

(1)+(2) \frac{b_1b_2}{m_1m_2}>0 and b_1*b_2<0. As numerator in \frac{b_1b_2}{m_1m_2}>0 is negative, then denominator m_1m_2 must also be negative. So m_1m_2<0. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

In fact we arrived to the answer C, without using the info about the intersection point of the lines. So this info is not needed to get C.

For more on coordinate geometry check the link in my signature.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep DS: xy-coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 07:29
Bunuel wrote:
M8 wrote:

I'll post the OA later.

In the xy coordinate plane, line L and line K intersect at the point (4,3). Is the product of their slopes negative?

We have two lines: y_l=m_1x+b_1 and y_k=m_2x+b_2. The question: is m_1*m_2<0?

Lines intersect at the point (4,3) --> 3=4m_1+b_1 and 3=4m_2+b_2

(1) The product of the x-intersects of lines L and K is positive. Now, one of the lines can intersect x-axis at 0<x<4 (positive slope) and another also at 0<x<4 (positive slope), so product of slopes also will be positive BUT it's also possible one line to intersect x-axis at 0<x<4 (positive slope) and another at x>4 (negative slope) and in this case product of slopes will be negative. Two different answers, hence not sufficient.

But from this statement we can deduce the following: x-intersect is value of x for y=0 and equals to x=-\frac{b}{m} --> so (-\frac{b_1}{m_1})*(-\frac{b_2}{m_2})>0 --> \frac{b_1b_2}{m_1m_2}>0.

(2) The product of the y-intersects of lines L and K is negative. Now, one of the lines can intersect y-axis at 0<y<3 (positive slope) and another at y<0 (positive slope), so product of slopes will also be positive BUT it's also possible one line to intersect y-axis at y<0 (positive slope) and another at y>3 (negative slope) and in this case product of slopes will be negative. Two different answers, hence not sufficient.

But from this statement we can deduce the following: y-intercept is value of y for x=0 and equals to x=b --> b_1*b_2<0.

(1)+(2) \frac{b_1b_2}{m_1m_2}>0 and b_1*b_2<0. As numerator in \frac{b_1b_2}{m_1m_2}>0 is negative, then denominator m_1m_2 must also be negative. So m_1m_2<0. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

In fact we arrived to the answer C, without using the info about the intersection point of the lines. So this info is not needed to get C.

For more on coordinate geometry check the link in my signature.

Bunuel i just dont understand "But from this statement we can deduce the following: x-intersect is value of for " this part rest of them are ok. Can you tell me how did you decide y=0?

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3243

Kudos [?]: 22383 [1] , given: 2616

Re: GMATPrep DS: xy-coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fatihaysu wrote:
Bunuel i just dont understand "But from this statement we can deduce the following: x-intersect is value of for " this part rest of them are ok. Can you tell me how did you decide y=0?

X-intercept is the point where a line (a graph) crosses the x-axis. So it's the point on x-axis, any point on x-axis has y-coordinate equal to zero, which means that X-intercept is the point (x,0) - the value of x when y=0: y=mx+b --> 0=mx+b --> x=-\frac{b}{m}. So X-intercept of a line y=mx+b is x=-\frac{b}{m};

Y-intercept is the point where a line (a graph) crosses the y-axis. So it's the point on y-axis, any point on y-axis has x-coordinate equal to zero, which means that Y-intercept is the point (0,y) - the value of y when x=0: y=mx+b --> y=m*0+b --> y=b. So Y-intercept of a line y=mx+b is y=b.

Check Coordinate Geometry chapter for more (link in my signature).

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 104

Re: GMATPrep DS: xy-coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 19:23
C.

Sweet question. A kudos for you for that. If you draw the lines using conditions you will find that lines can intercept in quadrant 1 only when both the X intercepts are positive (both negative is not possible given the condition 2). When thats the case the angles each line make with the X-axis are acute and obtuse. Tan of such angles are opposite in sign. Hence the answer.

Thank you.
Hemanth
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATPrep DS: xy-coordinate plane [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 06:00
whats the difficulty level of this question???? Are such type of questions asked in actual gmat??Mans are these above 50 points level qustions??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

math DS questions: need help solving [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 15:49
hi guys, below are few DS questions i had trouble answering,,,,,,,,,,need help.....thanks in advance

:lol:
159) In xy coordinate plane, line l and line k intersect at point (4, 3). Is product of the slopes negative? C
a. Product of x intercepts of lines l and k is positive
b. Product of y intercepts of lines l and k is negative

OA: C
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 108 [1] , given: 50

Re: math DS questions: need help solving [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 16:30
This post received
KUDOS
satishreddy wrote:
hi guys, below are few DS questions i had trouble answering,,,,,,,,,,need help.....thanks in advance

:lol:
159) In xy coordinate plane, line l and line k intersect at point (4, 3). Is product of the slopes negative? C
a. Product of x intercepts of lines l and k is positive
b. Product of y intercepts of lines l and k is negative

OA: C

Question: Product of the slope of line l and k -ve.

Let line l be y1= m1x1+c1 and k be y2 = m2x2+c2. General equation of the line => y = mx+c.

Hence to determine whether m1*m2 = -ve

Now x intercept is when y=0 and y intercept is when x=0.

Statement A: Product of x intercepts of line l and k is +ve.

x-intercept of line l, that is when y=0=> x1=-c1/m1 and x-intercept of line k is x2=-c2/m2.

Given their product is +ve. Now -c1/m1 * -c2/m2 is +ve. Either c1*c2 and m1*m2 could be both +ve or both -ve. We cannot determine the whether m1*m2 is +ve or -ve since we do not have information about c1*c2.

Statement B: Product of y intercepts of line l and k is -ve.

y-intercept of line l, that is when x=0=> y1=c1 and y-intercept of line k is y2=c2.

Given their product is -ve that is c1*c2=-ve. However with this statement alone we cannot determine whether m1*m2=-ve or +ve.

Combining both the statement we know that since c1*c2 = -ve, m1*m2 has to be -ve to satisfy Statement A.

Hence answer is C.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 445 [1] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: math DS questions: need help solving [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: math DS questions: need help solving [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
Equation for a line in intercept form, X/A+Y/B=1 and slope will be m=-(B/A)

Now take the equation of first line as X/A1+Y/B1=1 and second line as X/A2+Y/B2=1

Product of their slope will be (B1/A1)*(B2/A2)=(B1*B2)/(A1*A2)

with first (A1 *A2) positive
With 2nd (B1*B2) -ve

So with both we can say Product of their slope is -ve. that is C.

Consider KUDOS if you like my solution.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: In the xy-coordinate plane, line l and line k intersect at [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 06:13
Line L and Line K intersect at the point (4,3). Is the product of their slopes negative?

(1) The product of the x-intercepts of Line L and Line K is positive.

Combination A1 m b

(-2, 0) (4,3) y = 1/2x + 1
(-3, 0) (4,3) y = 3/7x + 9/7

Combination B1 m b

(1, 0) (4,3) y = x - 1
(6, 0) (4,3) y = -3/2x + 9

(2) The product of the y-intercepts of Line L and Line K is negative.

Combination A2 m b

(0, 6) (4,3) y = -3/4x + 6 (8,0)
(0, -2) (4,3) y = 5/4x - 2 (8/5, 0)

Combination B2 m b

(0,-2) (4,3) y = 5/4x - 2 (8/5,0)
(0, 2) (4,3) y = 1/4x + 2 (-8, 0)

(C) Log: From S(2) result, select only neg.
y-intercept (where b1*b2<0,
Log: Combination A2 and B2
Log: From A2 and B2, select only pos.
x-intercept (b1*b2)/(m1*m2) > 0
Log: A2

This restriction is made more cogent by noting that a line with a negative y-intercept and destination (4,3) must cross the x-axis in positive territory and have a positive slope.

Since the other line must have a positive y-intercept and is restricted to a positive x-intercept, its slope
must be negative.

Both statements combined are sufficient.

Algebraic Solution

Is m1*m2 < 0

(1) -(b1/m1) * -(b2/m2) > 0

(b1*b2)/(m1*m2) > 0

(2) b1*b2 < 0

(1)&(2)

b1*b2/m1*m2 > 0, and b1*b2 < 0

m1*m2 < 0
SVP
SVP
Followers: 165

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the xy-coordinate plane, line l and line k intersect at [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 21:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: In the xy-coordinate plane, line l and line k intersect at   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2013, 21:41