Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Nov 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 100

In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 02:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:39) correct 41% (00:40) wrong based on 80 sessions
In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in quadrant III?

(1) Line k has y-intercept 2

(2) Line k has slope 2/3

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Hey guys..I got this question wrong b'cos I did'nt know HOW to plot the line when ONLY the slope is given..
Can somebody help me with that please?!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 239 [1] , given: 18

Re: do any points on line k lie in quadrant III? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
Okay, this is about 'imagination' :)
You are told in stmt 2 that the slope is positive.
1. draw a line with positive slope passing thru origin ( does it go thru Q3 ? - yes )
2. draw a line with positive slope passing thru ( 7, 0) ( does it go thru Q3 ? - yes )
3. imagine a line with positive slope passing thru ( 1000, 0 ) ( does it go thru Q3 ? - yes ) ..it cant be plotted on paper but yes for some -ve y-intercept is surely will go thru Q3.
Director
Director

Re: do any points on line k lie in quadrant III? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 04:42
oh..cool..gotcha thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 9

Re: do any points on line k lie in quadrant III? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 08:47
Here is a way I use to imagine the slopes (i think it'll help an outdoor person who's math sucks as bad as mine!)

Positive slope... it is an incline, I can climb.
Negative slope... no way I can climb this slope (unless I have the Cliffhanger training)
0 - ah okay, plain straight line, just walk
infinite - up against a wall

So in this particular context, positive slope wherever it is drawn, will pass through IIIrd quadrant... well I had a tough time remembering quadrants.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3637

Kudos [?]: 29444 [4] , given: 2934

Re: do any points on line k lie in quadrant III? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tejal777 wrote:

(2) Line k has slope 2/3

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Hey guys..I got this question wrong b'cos I did'nt know HOW to plot the line when ONLY the slope is given..
Can somebody help me with that please?!

tejal777, below are my notes and tips about the slope of a line and the quadrants of intersect of a line depending on a slope. Hope you find them useful:

The slope is defined as “rise over run,” or the distance the line runs vertically divided by the distance the line runs horizontally. The slope of any given line is constant over the length of that line. Given any two points on the line, take the difference between the y (or vertical) coordinates and divide that by the difference between the x (or horizontal) coordinates.

Equation of a line y=mx+b: slope m, b Y intersect.
OR
Equation of a line ay+bx+c=0: slope -b/a, -c/a Y intersect.

1. If the slope of line is negative, line WILL intersect quadrants II and IV. X and Y intersects of the line with negative slope have the same sign. Therefore if X and Y intersects are positive, line intersects the quadrant I too, if negative quadrant III.

2. If the slope of line is positive, line WILL intersect quadrants I and III. Y and X intersects of the line with positive slope have opposite signs. Therefore if X intersect is negative, line intersects the quadrant II too, if positive quadrant IV.

3. Every line (but the one crosses origin OR parallel to X or Y axis OR X and Y axis themselves) crosses three quadrants. Only the line which crosses origin (0,0) OR is parallel of either of axis crosses two quadrants.

4. If a line is horizontal the line has slope 0, is parallel to X-axis and crosses quadrant I and II, if the Y intersect is positive OR quadrants III and IV, if the Y intersect is negative. Equation of such line is y=b, where b is y intersect.

5. If a line is vertical, the slope is not defined, line is parallel to Y-axis and crosses quadrant I and IV, if the X intersect is positive and quadrant II and III, if the X intersect is negative. Equation of such line is x=a, where a is x-intercept.

6. For the line crosses the two points (x1,y1) and (x2,y2), slope m=(y1-y2)/(x1-x2)

7. If the slope is 1 the angle formed by the line by X and Y axis is 45 degrees.

8. If the slope of a line is m, the slope of a line perpendicular to it is its negative reciprocal, -1/m. Hence two lines are perpendicular if and only the product of their slopes is -1.

9. Parallel lines have same slope.

10. Given a point and slope, equation of the line can be found. The equation of a straight line that passes through a point (x1, y1) with a slope m is: y - y1 = m(x - x1)

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 3

Re: do any points on line k lie in quadrant III? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 23:43
Agree with Economist this is more of an imagination ques. and thanks Bunnel your notes are really helpful!
Director
Director

Re: do any points on line k lie in quadrant III? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 18:46
Awesome notes!!!!!!!Thanks a ton!

Getting greedy..have you posted any other topic notes somewhere else? :?:

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 50

Re: coordinate geo [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 21:35
This post received
KUDOS
shrive555 wrote:

(2) Line k has slope 2/3

please explain the answer

For the line to be in the III quadrant the slope of the line y = mx+c that is m should be positive.

Statement A: Tells us that y-intercept is 2. Y-intercept means point where x is zero. Hence when x=0, y=2 in the line y=mx+c =>c = 2. This statement does not give us the value of m (slope of the line). Hence insufficient.

Statement B: Line K has slope 2/3. Given m = 2/3 which is +ve and hence some point of the line k should lie in the III quadrant.

Sufficient. Hence B is the answer.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 193

Re: coordinate geo [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 21:45
so in III and I quadrant slope will be positive and in II and IV quadrant slope will be negative ?

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 50

Re: coordinate geo [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 21:51
shrive555 wrote:
so in III and I quadrant slope will be positive and in II and IV quadrant slope will be negative ?

Yes, but the wording should be spot on since there are minor twists to the rule.

Rule:
SLOPE AND QUADRANTS:

1. If the slope of a line is negative, the line WILL intersect quadrants II and IV. X and Y intersects of the line with negative slope have the same sign. Therefore if X and Y intersects are positive, the line intersects quadrant I; if negative, quadrant III.

2. If the slope of line is positive, line WILL intersect quadrants I and III. Y and X intersects of the line with positive slope have opposite signs. Therefore if X intersect is negative, line intersects the quadrant II too, if positive quadrant IV.

Bunuel has a wonderful post on this. Check out the link => http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

CEO
CEO
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 00:18
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2013, 00:18