Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [417]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools:ISB
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618624 [392]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [10]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools:ISB
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [20]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, does the line with equation y = 3x + 2 contains the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Substituting (r,s) in the original equation:
y=3x+2 => s=3r+2 => 3r-s+2=0.
Question : is 3r-s-2=0. ??
statement 1 - (3r+2-s)(4r+9-s)=0 => (3r+2-s)=0 or (4r+9-s)=0
Not sufficient

Statement 2 - (4r-6-s)(3r+2-s)=0 => (3r+2-s)=0 or (4r-6-s)=0
Not sufficient
Combining 1&2 ->
common result (3r+2-s)=0
Sufficient.
Answer - C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [5]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, does the line with equation y = 3x + 2 contains the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel - you make every question looks so simple. always awesome explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
awesome explanation Bunuel and Soumanag......thanks....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [7]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Ok.. So lets look at both the statements individually:

First Statement 1:

1. (3r+2-s)(4r+9-s)=0

Look at the statement. It could mean two things. Either (3r+2-s) = 0 or (4r+9-s) = 0

if (3r+2-s) = 0, then yes 3r+2-s = 0 and hence s=3r+2 which is exactly like saying y=3x+2

But if 3r+2-s is not equal to 0 then we don't know for sure.

Now lets look at statement 2:

2. (4r-6-s)(3r+2-s)=0

Same implies for statement 2.

now lets assume that in the first statement 4r+9-s=0. If that is true, then from the second statement it is not possible for 4r-6-s to be equal to 0. Hence 3r+2-s = 0 and yes the point r,s which is the same as x,y lies on it !

Hence C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Easy one. GMAT loves these type of patterns.

NOTE: Notice the pattern here. When you have similar type of information in both statements, the answer is usually C, D or E.

1. rephrasing the equations gives us s=3r+2 and s=4r+9. obviously s=4r+9 does not lie, but s=3r+2 does
2. rephrasing the equations gives us s=3r+2 and s=4r-5. obviously s=4r-5 does not lie, but s=3r+2 does

Together, s=3r+2 and it does lie. C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.44
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
In the XY plane, does the line with equation y=3x+2 contain the point (r,s)?

Line with equation \(y=3x+2\) contains the point \((r,s)\) means that when substituting \(r\) ans \(s\) in line equation: \(s=3r+2\) (or \(3r+2-s=0\)) holds true.

So basically we are asked to determine whether \(3r+2-s=0\) is true or not.

(1) \((3r+2-s)(4r+9-s)=0\) --> either \(3r+2-s=0\) OR \(4r+9-s=0\) OR both. Not sufficient.

(2) \((4r-6-s)(3r+2-s)=0\) --> either \(3r+2-s=0\) OR \(4r-6-s=0\) OR both. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Both \(4r+9-s=0\) and \(4r-6-s=0\) can not be true (simultaneously), as \(4r-s\) can not equal to both -9 and 6, hence \(3r+2-s=0\) must be true. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Bunuel,

Again, sorry for re-opening an old thread but I have a small doubt regarding this question. I got this question on my GMAT Prep today, had one quick look at the options and immediately saw that for the point to lie on the line, 3r+2-s has to be equal to zero. And since this information was given to us in two separate quadratic equations, it was necessary for us to have both the equations in order to discard (4r+9-s) and (4r-6-s) as solutions to the given equations.

However, at this point, I thought to myself that C would be too easy an answer and solved the equations to see if GMAT was upto its usual trickery. And this is where I went wrong.

Take for example the first equation. One solution gives us what we want, i.e., 3r+2-s = 0. However, if we solve the second solution 4r+9-s = 0, we get s = 4r+9. Now, if we plug this into the original equation y = 3x+2, we get:

y = 3x+2
Plugging the values of r and s into x and y:

4r+9 = 3r +2;
Solving this gives us r = -7 and s = -19 and plugging these values of r and s in the original equation satisfies the equation:

-19 = 3(-7) + 2;
-19 = -19

Since, this equation too satisfies the equation (and similarly, so does the second equation) I marked the answer as D.

Can you please tell me where I am going wrong?

Many thanks in advance.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618624 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arjuntomar wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In the XY plane, does the line with equation y=3x+2 contain the point (r,s)?

Line with equation \(y=3x+2\) contains the point \((r,s)\) means that when substituting \(r\) ans \(s\) in line equation: \(s=3r+2\) (or \(3r+2-s=0\)) holds true.

So basically we are asked to determine whether \(3r+2-s=0\) is true or not.

(1) \((3r+2-s)(4r+9-s)=0\) --> either \(3r+2-s=0\) OR \(4r+9-s=0\) OR both. Not sufficient.

(2) \((4r-6-s)(3r+2-s)=0\) --> either \(3r+2-s=0\) OR \(4r-6-s=0\) OR both. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Both \(4r+9-s=0\) and \(4r-6-s=0\) can not be true (simultaneously), as \(4r-s\) can not equal to both -9 and 6, hence \(3r+2-s=0\) must be true. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Bunuel,

Again, sorry for re-opening an old thread but I have a small doubt regarding this question. I got this question on my GMAT Prep today, had one quick look at the options and immediately saw that for the point to lie on the line, 3r+2-s has to be equal to zero. And since this information was given to us in two separate quadratic equations, it was necessary for us to have both the equations in order to discard (4r+9-s) and (4r-6-s) as solutions to the given equations.

However, at this point, I thought to myself that C would be too easy an answer and solved the equations to see if GMAT was upto its usual trickery. And this is where I went wrong.

Take for example the first equation. One solution gives us what we want, i.e., 3r+2-s = 0. However, if we solve the second solution 4r+9-s = 0, we get s = 4r+9. Now, if we plug this into the original equation y = 3x+2, we get:

y = 3x+2
Plugging the values of r and s into x and y:

4r+9 = 3r +2;
Solving this gives us r = -7 and s = -19 and plugging these values of r and s in the original equation satisfies the equation:

-19 = 3(-7) + 2;
-19 = -19

Since, this equation too satisfies the equation (and similarly, so does the second equation) I marked the answer as D.

Can you please tell me where I am going wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

The question asks whether \(3r+2-s=0\). Now, statement (1) says: \((3r+2-s)(4r+9-s)=0\), which means that either \(3r+2-s=0\) OR \(4r+9-s=0\) OR both.

The above DOES NOT mean that we have a system of equations: \(3r+2-s=0\) and \(4r+9-s=0\). Because if it were so then you have an answer right away: \(3r+2-s=0\). No wonder that when you solve it as a system you got the values of \(s\) and \(r\) which make \(3r+2-s\) equal to zero: your whole starting point was that it does.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Bunuel,

In statement (1), you have said that we have these possibilities:
(3r + 2 - s) = 0 OR (4r + 9 - s) = 0 OR both.

But, when we have something like this:
(x + 3)(x+5) = 0

In this case, there are only two possibilities, right? (x+3)=0 OR (x+5)=0.
Both cannot be zero at the same time because "x" represents a single and unique value.
Please confirm.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618624 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
danzig wrote:
Bunuel,

In statement (1), you have said that we have these possibilities:
(3r + 2 - s) = 0 OR (4r + 9 - s) = 0 OR both.

But, when we have something like this:
(x + 3)(x+5) = 0

In this case, there are only two possibilities, right? (x+3)=0 OR (x+5)=0.
Both cannot be zero at the same time because "x" represents a single and unique value.
Please confirm.

Yes.

(3r + 2 - s) = 0 and (4r + 9 - s) = 0 can both be true, for r=-7 and s=-19.

But for (x+3)=0 and (x+5)=0 both cannot be true simultaneously. Either x=-3 or x=-5.

Hope it's clear.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM