Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the xy-plane, if line k has negative slope and passes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

In the xy-plane, if line k has negative slope and passes [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 08:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:12) correct 43% (01:14) wrong based on 191 sessions
In the xy-plane, if line k has negative slope and passes through the point (-5,r) , is the x-intercept of line k positive?

(1) The slope of line k is -5.
(2) r > 0
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3491

Kudos [?]: 26231 [5] , given: 2707

Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
through the point (-5,r) , is the x-intercept of line k
positive?

(2) r> 0

What is the answer and why ?

I am for B but it is not OG answer. Based on second condition r > 0, x-intercept for this line is negative, so we can determine definitively sign of x-intercept.

Let the x intercept be the point (x,0). Slope m is rise over run and for two points (-5,r) and (x,0) would be m=\frac{r-0}{-5-x}=\frac{r}{-5-x} --> x=\frac{-r-5m}{m}.

Question: is x>0? --> is x=\frac{-r-5m}{m}>0?

(1) m=-5 --> x=\frac{-r-5m}{m}=\frac{-r+25}{-5}>0? x=\frac{-r+25}{-5}=\frac{r}{5}-5>0? We can not determine whether \frac{r}{5}-5>0 or not. Not sufficient.

(2) r>0 and m<0 --> x=\frac{-r-5m}{m}=\frac{-r}{m}-5>0? \frac{-r}{m} is some positive value (as m<0) but we don't know whether it's more than 5 or not. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) x=\frac{r}{5}-5 and r>0 --> r=5x+25>0 --> x>-5. x can be positive as well as negative. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

This can be done by visualizing the question. Statement (2) tells us that the point (-5,r), as r>0, is in the II quadrant. Line with negative slope through the point in the II quadrant can have x intercept positive as well as negative.

Taken together: as we don't know the exact location of the point (-5,r) in II quadrant we can not say even knowing the slope whether the x intercept would be positive or negative.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 15:50
Thanks a lot, as usual this is solid solution. Question: My problem was visualising the line I guess, I see with negative slope and r (y coordinate) being posiive, only second quardant is possible .I miss some point I guess.. COuld you give me idea of two angles of two lines from x_axis to visualise better ? sorry, but I miss some basic points I guess. :(
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3491

Kudos [?]: 26231 [0], given: 2707

Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 16:08
Expert's post
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
Thanks a lot, as usual this is solid solution. Question: My problem was visualising the line I guess, I see with negative slope and r (y coordinate) being posiive, only second quardant is possible .I miss some point I guess.. COuld you give me idea of two angles of two lines from x_axis to visualise better ? sorry, but I miss some basic points I guess. :(

I'm not sure I understand your question... Can you please specify?

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager

Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 05:22
Bunuel wrote:
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your question... Can you please specify?

Thanks Bunuel. You bring me luck, you speak and problem is solved.

I meant that i was not able to visualise two cases where x intercepts could be positive or negative , but I can not. I did dig a little in lines and got the answer.

Thanks again for iron proof answer by you.

P.S. I am going to review/attempt all Qs and concept on number properties by you as this is an area I need more confidence. wil hear more from me. My exam is roughly in four weeks.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 948 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 04:50
Letme give you one alternate solution and correct me if m wrong.

Suppose line is y=mx+c

1. put value of y and x as -5,r

we get r =25+c

now put y=x=0 in y-mx-c which gives -c
This i hav done to check the side on which origin lies.
This is dependent on value of -c

2. r>0

For r >0, we cannot say anything about value of C even using r=25+c also.

thus we cannot c on which side origin lies.
For +ve intercept it should lie on left side of line and vice versa.

Thus ans E

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager

Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 02:41
yes, good way too Gurpreet.
lets play with it further to strenghtne the concepts .

If I modify the second statement to

2. r < 0 ,

let's try to solve it in two ways i.e. First by visualising it and second, by using the basic equation y = mx +c

Using the second method,

The equation is r = 25+c and we know r < 0, so only possibility is c < -25 , so this can tell definitely the answer. Am I correct ?
But if we want to visualise it, is there any possibility it can pass through First quadrant ? Second quadrant i can imagine easy :) .

Also, How a line can make more than 180° angle ? I am from good maths background but do not remember exacly how a line makes more than 180° . So little help will break the code.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 948 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 04:17
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

2. r < 0 ,

let's try to solve it in two ways i.e. First by visualising it and second, by using the basic equation y = mx +c

Using the second method,

The equation is r = 25+c and we know r < 0, so only possibility is c < -25 , so this can tell definitely the answer. Am I correct ?
But if we want to visualise it, is there any possibility it can pass through First quadrant ? Second quadrant i can imagine easy :) .

Also, How a line can make more than 180° angle ? I am from good maths background but do not remember exacly how a line makes more than 180° . So little help will break the code.

r = 25+c and r>0 is given that means 25+c >0
=> 25> -c

=> -25 <c
thus we cannot determine whether c is -ve or +ve

r-25-c should have same or different sign with -C to know whether that number is on same or diff side of origin.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager

Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 05:17
Let's take it a step further.
Adding one more question that will take discussion further . (Source: GMATprep)

Lnes n and p lie in the xy plane . Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p?

1. Lines n and p intersect at the point (5,1)
2. The y intercept of line n is greater than the y intercept of line p.

1. Clearly insufficient : For equation n y=m1.x+c1 and for equation p y=m2.x+c2 =>
First equation of line :1 = 5.m1+c1
Second equation of line: 1= 5.m2+c2

Clearly, m1 and m2 Can take any vset of values that m1>m2 and m1<m2, both are possible

2. Insufficent again : y=m1.x+c1 and y=m2.x+c2 => given is c1 > c2 => m1 and m2 can take any set of values again

1 and 2 statement togather :

First line : 1 = 5.m1+c1
Second Line: 1= 5.m2+c2

From this we can conclude that 5.m1+c1 = 5.m2+c2 or 5 (m1 - m2) = c2 - c1
now we are given c1 > c2 , I beleive that Statement refers to absolute values so
c1 could be 4 and c2 as 3 => c2-c1 gives -1
or c1 could be -4 and c2 as 3 => c2-c1 gives 7
or c1 could be 4 and c2 as -3 => c2-c1 gives -7
or c1 could be -4 and c2 -3 => c2-c1 gives 1

that means m1 and m2 can be greater or lesser than each other.So both together not sufficinet.

If I ignore my assumption that the values are absolute :
In that case, c2-c1 has to be negative if c1 > c2 . so m1 - m2 has to be negative too .

m1 - m2 < 0 or m1 < m2 , Sufficient

Question 1 : Which of the case one should assume ? answer is C that both together are sufficient that means we can't assume absolute values.

Question 2 : Sloe -1 and slope -2 , generally speaking -1 is greater than -2 but slope if we look at -2 is greater than -1.

What is the rule one should follow ?
Manager
Manager

Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 06:47
gurpreetsingh wrote:
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

Quote:
2. r < 0 ,

Using the second method,

r = 25+c and r>0 is given that means 25+c >0
=> 25> -c

=> -25 <c
thus we cannot determine whether c is -ve or +ve

r-25-c should have same or different sign with -C to know whether that number is on same or diff side of origin.

I modified this to r < 0 , see the question :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 09:58
I still cant visualize.

In stmt 2: we know that like passes through second quadrant and it has negative slope. How can it intercept at positive x?

Negative slope always goes bottom to top from left to right.

Please help me visualizing this, I am sure i am missing something.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 21:46
jshah wrote:
I still cant visualize.

In stmt 2: we know that like passes through second quadrant and it has negative slope. How can it intercept at positive x?

Negative slope always goes bottom to top from left to right.

Please help me visualizing this, I am sure i am missing something.

take a line that is passing through the origin and bisects the II quadrant and IV quadrant. Now draw parallel lines above and below that line .. one will have positive x intercept and other will have negative x intercept and the original line will have 0 x-intecept.
Manager
Manager

Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 09:14
@testprep2010 : Your response is E. I do not understand what values such posts bring.

1. This is OG question so answer is known.
2. The post does not just ask to answer just an option
3. How do I know your answer is wrong or right ?
4. Even if everyone votes A for this, it will not change the answer.

I feel sad why people put thier time answering like this on these forums.
8 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 206 [8] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
positive?

(2) r> 0

I am for B but it is not OG answer. Based on second condition r > 0, x-intercept for this line is negative, so we can determine definitively sign of x-intercept.

Best Approach to use a graph!
Attachments

OG 12 DS Question.png
OG 12 DS Question.png [ 27.25 KiB | Viewed 6882 times ]

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12 DS Question - Line concept Very good one (key wrong ?) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 09:15
Thanks Bunuel.. for the Kudos! A kudos from u.. means a lot! :)

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: In the xy-plane, if line k has negative slope and passes [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 00:37
Bunuel, how do you know from statement 2 that m<0? Statement 2 only says that r>0. Could you please explain it to me? Thank you!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5035 [0], given: 164

Re: In the xy-plane, if line k has negative slope and passes [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 21:36
Expert's post
MariaBez wrote:
Bunuel, how do you know from statement 2 that m<0? Statement 2 only says that r>0. Could you please explain it to me? Thank you!

The question stem tells you that line k has negative slope so m < 0.

Also, you may want to look at the diagram made by jeeteshsingh in the first reply to this question. It uses both the statements together and shows you two possible cases (through two different dotted lines). In one case, line k has positive x intercept; in the second case it has negative x intercept. Hence both statements together are not sufficient.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: In the xy-plane, if line k has negative slope and passes [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 21:53
VeritasPrepKarishma, thank you for your reply! I got it. Yeah, m<0 is given to us.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: In the xy-plane, if line k has negative slope and passes [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 19:28
MariaBez wrote:

'm' is the slope of the line in the equation y = m*x + c
The question stem already states that the line has negative slope. Hence, m < 0.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

Re: In the xy-plane, if line k has negative slope and passes [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 03:16
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
positive?

(2) r> 0

y=mx+c
substitute (-5,r)

r=-5m+c

C= r+5m

1) m=-5

y=mx+c

put y=0 to find x intercept

and m=-5

0= -5x+r+5(-5)
5x=r-25

Dont know r so insufficient

2) r> 0, certainly not sufficient
. .
. 0= mx+r+5m , we do not know m and r

combine both 1 and 2
5X=r-25 and r>0

r can be any thing so cannot determine X

Hence the answere is E
Re: In the xy-plane, if line k has negative slope and passes   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2012, 03:16