Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 09:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:46) correct 37% (00:45) wrong based on 334 sessions
In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and x-intercept 4. if the area of the triangle formed by line k and the two axes is 12, what is the y intercept of line k

A. -6
B. -4
C. -3
D. 3
E. 6

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer is -6. can someone explain how i would derive to this ans. I got 6
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Jun 2013, 22:08, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the question
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3726

Kudos [?]: 31036 [9] , given: 3268

Re: GMAT PREP QUES PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
cmugeria wrote:
in the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and x-intercept 4. if the area of the triangle formed by line k and the two axes is 12, what is the y intercept of line k

a. -6
b. -4
c. -3
d. 3
e. 6

Positive slope (line goes like /) and positive x-intercept means that y-intercept will be negative. The area of the triangle would be (1/2)*(value of x-intercept)*(the value of y-intercept) --> area=\frac{1}{2}*4*|y|=12 --> |y|=6 --> as y-intercept is negative, then y=-6.

Answer: A.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT PREP QUES PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 13:17
Positive slope (line goes like /) and positive x-intercept means that y-intercept will be negative. The area of the triangle would be (1/2)*(value of x-intercept)*(the value of y-intercept) --> --> --> as y-intercept is negative, then .

Hope it helps.

Thanks Bunuel for the explanation. However i tried graphing this to make sense to me but still buffled....

Does this mean if the slope was negative then the y intercept would have been 6.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 31036 [4] , given: 3268

Re: GMAT PREP QUES PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 13:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cmugeria wrote:
Positive slope (line goes like /) and positive x-intercept means that y-intercept will be negative. The area of the triangle would be (1/2)*(value of x-intercept)*(the value of y-intercept) --> --> --> as y-intercept is negative, then .

Hope it helps.

Thanks Bunuel for the explanation. However i tried graphing this to make sense to me but still buffled....

Does this mean if the slope was negative then the y intercept would have been 6.

Below are two lines with positive slope (blue) and negative slope (red) which both satisfy x-intercept=4 and area=12.
Attachment:
graph.php (1).png
graph.php (1).png [ 8.7 KiB | Viewed 7583 times ]

Hope it helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT PREP QUES PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 09:42
Thanks Bunuel. As usual your answers are easy to understand. You would be an excellent math tutor !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT PREP QUES PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 13:20
Easy one. Only catchy elements were positive slope and intercept. I calculated 6 for the right triangle having 4 as one side and 12 as area. Then intercept was -6 (it will cut y axis below 0)

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 80033

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT PREP QUES PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 19:59
Since the slope of this line is positive... the y intercept will be negative. Hence -6. The graphical method posted above really simplifies things while you're solving a coordinate geometry question.
Hope this answers your question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 37

Re: GMAT PREP QUES PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 14:41
I took 6. But now looking at ur answers I understood about my silly mistake :( thank you Bunnel....

Thanks,
VP

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: ISB '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 23:49
This post received
KUDOS
Area formed by a line with the axes = 1/2.|x-intercept|.|y-intercept|

1/2 . 4 . |y-intercept| = 12

|y-intercept| = 6

As the line has positive slope and cuts the positive x-axis, its y-intercept is negative

Hence, y-intercept = -6
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 01:02
This post received
KUDOS
Val1986 wrote:
In the xy plane, line k has a positive slope and x-intersept 4. If the area of the triangle formed by line k and the two axes is 12, what is the y-intercept of line k?

A. -6
B. -4
C. -3
D. 3
E. 6

Hi,

As per the below diagram, the triangle will have x-intercept as (4,0)
and negative y-intercept (since, slope is positive).

Area of triangle would be = 1/2*4*y = 12
or y = 6
But since y-intercept is negative, it should be equal to -6.
Attachments

File comment: Plotting the line.
area.jpg
area.jpg [ 3.74 KiB | Viewed 6098 times ]

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 37

Re: GMAT PREP QUES PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 17:33
Bunuel wrote:
cmugeria wrote:
in the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and x-intercept 4. if the area of the triangle formed by line k and the two axes is 12, what is the y intercept of line k

a. -6
b. -4
c. -3
d. 3
e. 6

Positive slope (line goes like /) and positive x-intercept means that y-intercept will be negative. The area of the triangle would be (1/2)*(value of x-intercept)*(the value of y-intercept) --> area=\frac{1}{2}*4*|y|=12 --> |y|=6 --> as y-intercept is negative, then y=-6.

Hope it helps.

Excellent answer. I've always had a minor problem with area of triangles. Of course, the formula for area is .5bh. When can you just take two sides as b & h, and when do you have to do some math to find them?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 31036 [0], given: 3268

Re: In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 22:46
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1078 [1] , given: 1001

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 01:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 01:49
There is no hard and fast rule that if slope is positive then Y-intercept is negative.
If slope is positive then both x and y intercept are positive (what I have observed)
So there is confusion why cant we choose 6 as answer here?
Pls guide
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 31036 [0], given: 3268

Re: In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 01:54
Expert's post
hapless12 wrote:
There is no hard and fast rule that if slope is positive then Y-intercept is negative.
If slope is positive then both x and y intercept are positive (what I have observed)
So there is confusion why cant we choose 6 as answer here?
Pls guide

First of all, please do read the solutions above. For example, check here: in-the-xy-plane-line-k-has-a-positive-slope-and-and-100739.html#p778346 and here: in-the-xy-plane-line-k-has-a-positive-slope-and-and-100739.html#p778520

Theory:
1. If the slope of line is negative, line WILL intersect quadrants II and IV. X and Y intersects of the line with negative slope have the same sign. Therefore if X and Y intersects are positive, line intersects the quadrant I too, if negative quadrant III.

2. If the slope of line is positive, line WILL intersect quadrants I and III. Y and X intersects of the line with positive slope have opposite signs. Therefore if X intersect is negative, line intersects the quadrant II too, if positive quadrant IV.

3. Every line (but the one crosses origin OR parallel to X or Y axis OR X and Y axis themselves) crosses three quadrants. Only the line which crosses origin (0,0) OR is parallel of either of axis crosses two quadrants.

4. If a line is horizontal the line has slope 0, is parallel to X-axis and crosses quadrant I and II, if the Y intersect is positive OR quadrants III and IV, if the Y intersect is negative. Equation of such line is y=b, where b is y intersect.

5. If a line is vertical, the slope is not defined, line is parallel to Y-axis and crosses quadrant I and IV, if the X intersect is positive and quadrant II and III, if the X intersect is negative. Equation of such line is x=a, where a is x-intercept.

Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 81

CAT Tests
Re: In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2014, 11:31
cmugeria wrote:
In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and x-intercept 4. if the area of the triangle formed by line k and the two axes is 12, what is the y intercept of line k

A. -6
B. -4
C. -3
D. 3
E. 6

[Reveal] Spoiler:

positive slope.. both x & y increases.. i.e. falls mostly in 1 & 3 quadrant. given x-intercept is 4 then y intercept must be negative hence last two options are cancelled.

area = 12 then applying area of the triangle (b*h)/2=> we shall get 6 & since it should fall on -y section it should be -6(3rd quadrant , y is -ive)
Re: In the xy plane line k has a positive slope and and   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2014, 11:31