Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [56]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [14]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [7]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 663 [1]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, line k passes through the point (1, 1) and line m [#permalink]
Kudos
I did not understand why you said you can find out only line K slope from statement 1 - why not m

sorry but not able to follow please help :?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, line k passes through the point (1, 1) and line m [#permalink]
Expert Reply
venmic wrote:
I did not understand why you said you can find out only line K slope from statement 1 - why not m

sorry but not able to follow please help :?

Even when considering the statements together we still know only one point of line m: (1, -1). We cannot get the slope based on just one point of a line.

For more check Coordinate Geometry chapter of Math Book: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Could you tell me how to determine whether the lines are perpendicular just in general??
Math Expert
Send PM
In the xy-plane, line k passes through the point (1, 1) and line m [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Val1986 wrote:
Could you tell me how to determine whether the lines are perpendicular just in general??

For one line to be perpendicular to another, their slopes must be negative reciprocals of each other (if slope of one line is \(m\) than the slope of the line perpendicular to this line is \(-\frac{1}{m}\)). In other words, the two lines are perpendicular if and only the product of their slopes is \(-1\).

For more check Coordinate Geometry chapter of Math Book: https://gmatclub.com/forum/math-coordina ... 87652.html

Hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
gautamsubrahmanyam wrote:
In the xy-plane, line k passes through the point (1,1) and line m passes through the point (1,-1). Are the lines k and m perpendicular to each other

(1) Lines k and m intersect at the point (1,-1)
(2) Line k intersects the x axis at the point (1,0)

They don't mention that they have to be different lines do they? Can it be the same vertical line as well?

Thanks
Cheers!
J :)
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
jlgdr wrote:
In the xy-plane, line k passes through the point (1,1) and line m passes through the point (1,-1). Are the lines k and m perpendicular to each other

(1) Lines k and m intersect at the point (1,-1)
(2) Line k intersects the x axis at the point (1,0)

They don't mention that they have to be different lines do they? Can it be the same vertical line as well?

Thanks
Cheers!
J :)

Yes, nothing in the question prevents m and k to be the same line.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.62
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In xy plane, line k passes through (1,1) and m through (1, -1). Are [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Timmimmit wrote:
First time I am posting in the forum. I could not find the solution to this question from GMATPrep. Please help me.

In xy plane, line k passes through (1,1) and m through (1, -1). Are lines k and m perpendicular?

a. k and m intersect at (1, -1)

b. k intersects x –axis at (1, 0)

From the question, all we know are points on each k and m. To determine whether the lines are perpindicular, we need to know the slopes of each line.
Stmt 1) tells us that k goes through (1,1) and (1, -1), therefore we can figure out its slope. But we still have no information to determine the slope of line m. NOT SUFFICIENT
Stmt 2) gives us no informatin that we cannot glean from Stmt 1. NOT SUFFICIENT

Using both Stmts, we still cannot determine the slope of line m. NOT SUFFICIENT

Correct answer is E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Re: In xy plane, line k passes through (1,1) and m through (1, -1). Are [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Timmimmit wrote:
In xy plane, line k passes through (1,1) and m through (1, -1). Are lines k and m perpendicular?

(1) k and m intersect at (1, -1)
(2) k intersects x –axis at (1, 0)

This question can be efficiently solved by plotting (imagining) the graph of the lines k and m, rather than trying to find out slopes of the lines algebraically.
To know the slope of a line, we should be able to 'fix' the line on the X-Y plane. And to fix a line we need at least two points that the line passes through. With this in mind, lets see what's given to us.

Question stem:
k passes through \((1,1)\), and
m passes through \((1,-1)\)
At this point none of the lines are fixed. Both of them can rotate \(360^{\circ}\) about the points they are passing through.

S1)
This gives another point for line K.
So now we have two points that line k passes through- \((1,1)\) and \((1,-1)\). Now we can fix our line k. (at this point we realize that like k is parallel to Y-axis).
But with this, we still do not have line m fixed. We cannot comment about their angle. Hence insufficient.

S2) This given yet another point that the line k passes through. This is not required as our like k is already fixed. All we needed was another point on line m to fix it. Since we do not have any info on line m and it can still rotate about the point \((1,-1)\) and can take any angle w.r.t. line k, this info is insufficient.

S1+S2) As we do not have any new info regarding line m and we cant fix it yet, this is again insufficient.

Hence, the answer is E.

Hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
In the xy-plane, line k passes through the point (1, 1) and line m passes through the point (1, -1). Are the lines k and m perpendicular to each other ?
(1) Lines k and m intersect at the point (1, -1)
(2) Line k intersects the x-axis at the point (1, 0)

Two lines are parallel only if their slopes are inverse reciprocal of each other.
(1) Lines k and m intersect at the point (1, -1)
Using the (x,y) pair of (1,-1) and other (x,y) pair of (1,1) of line k from the question stem we can see that the slope is undefined.
Slope of K = \(\frac{1-(-1)}{1-1} = \frac{-2}{0} ==> undefined\)
Meaning Line K is parallel to Y axis and pass through the x axis at x=1, y=0
INSUFFICIENT we have no info about the slope of line K

(2) Line k intersects the x-axis at the point (1, 0)
We already know from statement 1 that k passes from x=1.
INSUFFICIENT

Merging both statement
WE NEED SLOPE OF LINE M
But there are only one (x,y) pair given for line M and thus we cannot calculate the slope. and thus cannot compare it with slope of line k
Merging also doesn't gives any new information Hence insufficient

ANSWER IS E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM