Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 23:44
I want to follow this posting.

this question test out ability to react to numbers, to plug in number. This process is done by Bruno already. og explanation is the same. this process of plugging takes me 2 minutes.

drawing or solving the equation is too time consuming and is not the correct the method.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28793 [0], given: 2849

Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 01:44
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GRE 1: 1480 Q800 V680

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 5

Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
(1) Not sufficient. since we do not know the value of 2r+3s.

(2) If r and s are 0 and 0, it satisfies the inequality. however, if r=3 and s =2, it doesn't. So, insufficient.

We need to know the values of 2r+3s. We are given the value of 3r+2s.
2r+3s=3r+2s-r+s = 6 +(s-r). If s< r inequality is satisfied. Taking (1) +(2) together still doesn't give us the information of whether s <r.

So answer is (E).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 10:26
Bunuel wrote:
shreya717 wrote:

This is how I solved the question and im arriving at the wrong answer. Please could someone correct me.

Given:- equation of the line is 2x+3y<6
Thus, y<2/3x+2
the y and x intercepts of the given line are y<2 and x <3 respectively.

Statement 2 gives us that r (x) < 2 and s (y) <3. Therefore i concluded statment 2 is suff to answer the question. Am i going wrong in the calculation?

Thanks.

First of all 2x+3y\leq{6} can be rewritten as y\leq{2-\frac{2}{3}*x}, not as y\leq{2+\frac{2}{3}*x}. Next, it's not equation of a line, it gives the region which is below line y={2-\frac{2}{3}*x}, so all your farther conclusions are wrong.

Thanks for the explanation. I used the same incorrect approach to get to B and I missed that the equation defines a region and not a line.

If the equation was a line, then would "B" be the correct answer?
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 22:37
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) such that 2x + 3y =< 6 . Is the point (r,s) in region R?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6
(2) r=< 3 and s=< 2

Though the solution provided by shrouded1 above is perfectly OK, it's doubtful that can be done in 2-3 minutes.

So I'd say the best way for this question would be to try boundary values.

Q: is 2r+3s\leq{6}?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6 --> very easy to see that this statement is not sufficient:
If r=2 and s=0 then 2r+3s=4<{6}, so the answer is YES;
If r=0 and s=3 then 2r+3s=9>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

(2) r\leq{3} and s\leq{2} --> also very easy to see that this statement is not sufficient:
If r=0 and s=0 then 2r+3s=0<{6}, so the answer is YES;
If r=3 and s=2 then 2r+3s=12>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We already have an example for YES answer in (1) which valid for combined statements:
If r=2<3 and s=0<2 then 2r+3s=4<{6}, so the answer is YES;
To get NO answer try max possible value of s, which is s=2, then from (1) r=\frac{2}{3}<3 --> 2r+3s=\frac{4}{3}+6>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,
Just a quick clarification-
Combining two statements, to get NO as answer, we can also try the first values from Stat.1 - If r=0 and s=3 then 2r+3s=9>6, so the answer is NO..

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 23:13
Expert's post
bagdbmba wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) such that 2x + 3y =< 6 . Is the point (r,s) in region R?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6
(2) r=< 3 and s=< 2

Though the solution provided by shrouded1 above is perfectly OK, it's doubtful that can be done in 2-3 minutes.

So I'd say the best way for this question would be to try boundary values.

Q: is 2r+3s\leq{6}?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6 --> very easy to see that this statement is not sufficient:
If r=2 and s=0 then 2r+3s=4<{6}, so the answer is YES;
If r=0 and s=3 then 2r+3s=9>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

(2) r\leq{3} and s\leq{2} --> also very easy to see that this statement is not sufficient:
If r=0 and s=0 then 2r+3s=0<{6}, so the answer is YES;
If r=3 and s=2 then 2r+3s=12>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We already have an example for YES answer in (1) which valid for combined statements:
If r=2<3 and s=0<2 then 2r+3s=4<{6}, so the answer is YES;
To get NO answer try max possible value of s, which is s=2, then from (1) r=\frac{2}{3}<3 --> 2r+3s=\frac{4}{3}+6>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,
Just a quick clarification-
Combining two statements, to get NO as answer, we can also try the first values from Stat.1 - If r=0 and s=3 then 2r+3s=9>6, so the answer is NO..

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

When combining the values must satisfy both statements: r=0 and s=3 does not satisfy the second one.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 23:19
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '17

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 185

Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 15:45
I can't see why B is insufficient. Since r<= 3 means that x<=3 and s<=2 means y<=2 this covers the region under the line. which is f(x) <0 .
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 15:54
Expert's post
amz14 wrote:
I can't see why B is insufficient. Since r<= 3 means that x<=3 and s<=2 means y<=2 this covers the region under the line. which is f(x) <0 .

Have you checked Graphic Approach HERE and Number Plugging approach HERE and HERE?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 12:58
gmat1220 wrote:
Bunuel,
Thanks for the solution ! Please correct me.

If (r,s) is inside the region R on the XY plane, as per equation 2r + 3s <=6 is true.
That also means that r is bounded (when s=0) i.e. r<=3
s is also bounded (when r=0) is s<=2

Hence r<=3 and s<=2 should be sufficient. Am I missing something? Please clarify.

I made the same mistake as you and marked B.
But the region enclosed by the second statement is a rectangular region where r < = 3 and s<= 2. Only some part of this rectangle lies below the original line 2x + 3y <= 6.
So this option is not sufficient to say that all points (r,s) lie below the original line.
Others have shown this via algebra.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 81

CAT Tests
Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2014, 09:17
shrouded1 wrote:
metallicafan wrote:

(1) 3r + 2s = 6
(2) r=< 3 and s=< 2

Ok, the easiest way to solve this is to visualize the graph with the lines plotted on it.
2x+3y<=6, is the region below the line with X-intercept 3 and Y-intercept 2. We know it is that region, because (0,0) lies below the line and it satisfies the inequality. And all points on one side of the line satisfy the same sign of inequality. (BLUE LINE)

(1) : The line 3r+2s=6 (PURPLE LINE) represents the second line shown in the figure. It can be above or below the other line. So insufficient.
(2) : r<=3 & s<=2. Again easy to see from the graph even with that constraint, the point (r,s) may lie above or below the line in question

(1+2) : the two conditions together, only take a section of the 3r+2s=6 line as a solution, but again even with r<=3, s<=2, its not sufficient to keep solutions below the 2x + 3y =< 6 line

Answer is (e)

In questions like these, once you are comfortable with graphs, you can solve in less than 30 seconds fairly easily.
Let me know if the method isn't clear

graph method is very clear.. thanks a lot :)
Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y)   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2014, 09:17