Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [5] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (02:41) correct 64% (01:45) wrong based on 578 sessions
In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x,y) such that 2x + 3y\leq{6}. Is the point (r,s) in region R?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6
(2) r\leq{3} and s\leq{2}
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Dec 2012, 03:01, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
16 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 443 [16] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 22:24
This post received
KUDOS
metallicafan wrote:
In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) such that 2x + 3y =< 6 . Is the point (r,s) in region R?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6
(2) r=< 3 and s=< 2

Ok, the easiest way to solve this is to visualize the graph with the lines plotted on it.
2x+3y<=6, is the region below the line with X-intercept 3 and Y-intercept 2. We know it is that region, because (0,0) lies below the line and it satisfies the inequality. And all points on one side of the line satisfy the same sign of inequality. (BLUE LINE)

(1) : The line 3r+2s=6 (PURPLE LINE) represents the second line shown in the figure. It can be above or below the other line. So insufficient.
(2) : r<=3 & s<=2. Again easy to see from the graph even with that constraint, the point (r,s) may lie above or below the line in question

(1+2) : the two conditions together, only take a section of the 3r+2s=6 line as a solution, but again even with r<=3, s<=2, its not sufficient to keep solutions below the 2x + 3y =< 6 line

Answer is (e)

In questions like these, once you are comfortable with graphs, you can solve in less than 30 seconds fairly easily.
Let me know if the method isn't clear

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Aug 2012, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the diagram.
Expert Post
14 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3232

Kudos [?]: 22197 [14] , given: 2601

Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 02:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
metallicafan wrote:
In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) such that 2x + 3y =< 6 . Is the point (r,s) in region R?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6
(2) r=< 3 and s=< 2

Though the solution provided by shrouded1 above is perfectly OK, it's doubtful that can be done in 2-3 minutes.

So I'd say the best way for this question would be to try boundary values.

Q: is 2r+3s\leq{6}?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6 --> very easy to see that this statement is not sufficient:
If r=2 and s=0 then 2r+3s=4<{6}, so the answer is YES;
If r=0 and s=3 then 2r+3s=9>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

(2) r\leq{3} and s\leq{2} --> also very easy to see that this statement is not sufficient:
If r=0 and s=0 then 2r+3s=0<{6}, so the answer is YES;
If r=3 and s=2 then 2r+3s=12>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We already have an example for YES answer in (1) which valid for combined statements:
If r=2<3 and s=0<2 then 2r+3s=4<{6}, so the answer is YES;
To get NO answer try max possible value of s, which is s=2, then from (1) r=\frac{2}{3}<3 --> 2r+3s=\frac{4}{3}+6>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 23:15
Thanks Bunuel for the explanation! It's very clear. However, I have some questions about your criteria to choose the values:

Bunuel wrote:

(2) r\leq{3} and s\leq{2} --> also very easy to see that this statement is not sufficient:

How did you know that you had to use those values (r=0 and s=0)?

Bunuel wrote:
(1)+(2) We already have an example for YES answer in (1) which valid for combined statements:
(...)
To get NO answer try max possible value of s, which is s=2, then from (1) r=\frac{2}{3}<3 --> 2r+3s=\frac{4}{3}+6>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

The same. How did you know that you had to use the max possible value. How did you know that this value will give you a NO answer.

I think that's the key of the problem.

Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22197 [0], given: 2601

Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 01:34
Expert's post
metallicafan wrote:
Thanks Bunuel for the explanation! It's very clear. However, I have some questions about your criteria to choose the values:

Bunuel wrote:

How did you know that you had to use those values (r=0 and s=0)?

Bunuel wrote:

(...)
Not sufficient.

The same. How did you know that you had to use the max possible value. How did you know that this value will give you a NO answer.

I think that's the key of the problem.

Thanks!

On DS questions when plugging numbers, goal is to prove that the statement is not sufficient. So we should try to get a YES answer with one chosen number(s) and a NO with another.

For (2) given that r\leq{3} and s\leq{2} and we should see whether 2r+3s<{6} is true.

Now, as lower limits of r ans s are not given then it's really easy to get an YES answer if we choose small enough values for them, to simplify calculation let's try r=0 and s=0 --> 2r+3s=0<{6}, so the answer is YES;

For NO answer let's try max possible value of r ans s: r=3 and s=2 then 2r+3s=12>6, so the answer is NO.

For (1)+(2) Yes answer is from (1).
To get NO answer we should maximize 2r+3s to see whetrher this expression can be more than 6: try max possible value of r, which is r=3, then from (1) s=-\frac{3}{2}<2 --> 2r+3s=6-\frac{9}{2}\leq{6}, still YES answer, we need NO;

So now try max possible value of s, which is s=2, then from (1) r=\frac{2}{3}<3 --> 2r+3s=\frac{4}{3}+6>6, so the answer is NO. Done.

Hope it's clear,

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 443 [4] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Graphs are good for the soul !
When I was taught all this, we were always told to use graphs where possible (algebra is drab :p) ... Once you are used to it, questions like these should take < 30secs !!

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 10:59
Bunuel,
Thanks for the solution ! Please correct me.

If (r,s) is inside the region R on the XY plane, as per equation 2r + 3s <=6 is true.
That also means that r is bounded (when s=0) i.e. r<=3
s is also bounded (when r=0) is s<=2

Hence r<=3 and s<=2 should be sufficient. Am I missing something? Please clarify.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 11:14
Expert's post
gmat1220 wrote:
Bunuel,
Thanks for the solution ! Please correct me.

If (r,s) is inside the region R on the XY plane, as per equation 2r + 3s <=6 is true.
That also means that r is bounded (when s=0) i.e. r<=3
s is also bounded (when r=0) is s<=2

Hence r<=3 and s<=2 should be sufficient. Am I missing something? Please clarify.

Not sure that I understood your question. Anyway: region R is not some closed figure it's the the REGION below the line y=2-2/3*x.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 11:50
Bunuel
Pardon me. Let me rephrase. Hypothetically if point (r,s) lie in the region R. The equation becomes 2r + 3s <=6. Hence at s=0 r<=3 and at r=0 s<=2. So my question is can i paraphrase ?

the question 2r+3s<=6?
to whether r<=3 and s<=2?

Am I assuming too much ;-)
Bunuel wrote:
Not sure that I understood your question. Anyway: region R is not some closed figure it's the the REGION below the line y=2-2/3*x.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22197 [1] , given: 2601

Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmat1220 wrote:
Bunuel
Pardon me. Let me rephrase. Hypothetically if point (r,s) lie in the region R. The equation becomes 2r + 3s <=6. Hence at s=0 r<=3 and at r=0 s<=2. So my question is can i paraphrase ?

the question 2r+3s<=6?

Bunuel wrote:

Certainly you CANNOT rephrase "is 2r+3s\leq{6}?" to "is r\leq{3} and s\leq{2}?". There is an example in my solution showing that.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 01:31
Bunuel wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:
Bunuel

the question 2r+3s<=6?

Bunuel wrote:

Certainly you CAN NOT rephrase "is 2r+3s\leq{6}?" to "is r\leq{3} and s\leq{2}?". There is an example in my solution showing that.

This is how I solved the question and im arriving at the wrong answer. Please could someone correct me.

Given:- equation of the line is 2x+3y<6
Thus, y<2/3x+2
the y and x intercepts of the given line are y<2 and x <3 respectively.

Statement 2 gives us that r (x) < 2 and s (y) <3. Therefore i concluded statment 2 is suff to answer the question. Am i going wrong in the calculation?

Thanks.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 01:52
Expert's post
shreya717 wrote:

This is how I solved the question and im arriving at the wrong answer. Please could someone correct me.

Thus, y<2/3x+2

Statement 2 gives us that r (x) < 2 and s (y) <3. Therefore i concluded statment 2 is suff to answer the question. Am i going wrong in the calculation?

Thanks.

First of all 2x+3y\leq{6} can be rewritten as y\leq{2-\frac{2}{3}*x}, not as y\leq{2+\frac{2}{3}*x}. Next, it's not equation of a line, it gives the region which is below line y={2-\frac{2}{3}*x}, so all your farther conclusions are wrong.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 02:30
Bunuel wrote:
shreya717 wrote:

Thus, y<2/3x+2

Thanks.

First of all 2x+3y\leq{6} can be rewritten as y\leq{2-\frac{2}{3}*x}, not as y\leq{2+\frac{2}{3}*x}. Next, it's not equation of a line, it gives the region which is below line y={2-\frac{2}{3}*x}, so all your farther conclusions are wrong.

Thanks . y\leq{2-\frac{2}{3}*x}- this was a typo.

But, Next, it's not equation of a line, it gives the region which is below line y={2-\frac{2}{3}*x}, so all your farther conclusions are wrong., is where I was going wrong.

Thnaks for the clarification.
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the xy-plane... [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 04:06
Bunuel wrote:
metallicafan wrote:

(1) 3r + 2s = 6
(2) r=< 3 and s=< 2

Though the solution provided by shrouded1 above is perfectly OK, it's doubtful that can be done in 2-3 minutes.

So I'd say the best way for this question would be to try boundary values.

Q: is 2r+3s\leq{6}?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6 --> very easy to see that this statement is not sufficient:
If r=2 and s=0 then 2r+3s=4<{6}, so the answer is YES;
If r=0 and s=3 then 2r+3s=9>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

If r=3 and s=2 then 2r+3s=12>6, so the answer is NO.
Not sufficient.

If r=2<3 and s=0<2 then 2r+3s=4<{6}, so the answer is YES;
Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

I did not understand the the way u have proved taking points 1 and 2 in this problem....can u plz explain.... what i have always done is take the conditions which is satisfying both point 1 and 2 and then try to get a PASS and a fail in it to prove that the answer is OPTION is C or E....

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 474 [2] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
harshavmrg wrote:
metallicafan wrote:

(1) 3r + 2s = 6
(2) r=< 3 and s=< 2

I followed a very manual process of mapping the data and then finding out the answer E( which is said the OA)

I took 2.43 mins...Is there a easier way to solve such problems? Please help

Yes! Using a graphical/visual approach is much faster. Try to understand shrouded1's approach presented above.
Just the link to the graph is not working/missing.

Once you have a good command of the basic necessary tools, it's a piece of cake.
If you need more help, get in touch with me.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 06:26
Expert's post
shirisha091 wrote:
How did you get 2r + 3s ≤ 6 in the beginning of this problem?

Since we are told that region R consists of ALL the points (x, y) such that 2x+3y\leq{6}, then in order point (r,s) to be in region R the same must hold true for that point too, hence it must be true that 2r+3s\leq{6}.

P.S. Edited the diagram in shrouded1's post: in-the-xy-plane-region-r-consists-of-all-the-points-x-y-102233.html#p794049
Attachment:
graph.png
graph.png [ 8.83 KiB | Viewed 11876 times ]

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Re: In the xy-plane, region R... [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 12:41
2x +3y <= 6
3y <= 6 - 2x
y <= 2 - 2x/3

Statement (1):
3r + 2s = 6
2s = 6 - 3r
s = 3 - 2r

Since this line is not parralel to the edge of the region (when 2x+3y=6), it will at some point be above, and at some point be below it. So we don't have enough information.

Statement (2):
Let's calculate point (3, 2): 2*3+3*2=12>6, so not inside region R
But since we can go as low as we want with this point, it will eventually be in region R.

Combining (1) + (2):
Let's see, where region R intersects with the line of statement (1).
y=2-2x/3
s=3-2r --> y=3-2x
2-2x/3=3-2x
4x/3 = 1
x = 3/4
y=3-2*(3/4)=1.5

Intersection at (0.75, 1.5).
So our line from statement (1) will intersect with region R within the region of statement (2). So there will be points on that line that also fullfill statement (2), but are not in region R. And there will be points that are in region R. --> not sufficient
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22197 [1] , given: 2601

In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 05:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
smartass666 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
egiles wrote:
In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x,y), such that 2x +3y <= 6. Is the point (r,s) in region R?

1) 3r +2s = 6
2) r<= 3 and s<= 2

Merging similar topics.

Can you provide the solution for this question?

Graphic Approach: in-the-xy-plane-region-r-consists-of-all-the-points-x-y-102233.html#p794049
Number Plugging: in-the-xy-plane-region-r-consists-of-all-the-points-x-y-102233.html#p794138 and in-the-xy-plane-region-r-consists-of-all-the-points-x-y-102233.html#p795613

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 11:10
look, the question is about the point (r,5) not the point (r,s).
if the question was about the point (r,s), I think the (2) is sufficient, the correct answer is B
However, if the question is about the point (r,5), (1) and (2) together are sufficient but none of them alone is sufficient. The corrent answer is C
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y) [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
metallicafan wrote:
In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x,y) such that 2x + 3y\leq{6}. Is the point (r,5) in region R?

(1) 3r + 2s = 6
(2) r\leq{3} and s\leq{2}

I took nearly 10 min to solve. Probably on the test i would have guessed and moved on. Please correct the highlighted error. IMO graphical approach will lead to a quicker solution.
Re: In the xy-plane, region R consists of all the points (x, y)   [#permalink] 25 Dec 2012, 02:47