Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the years since the city of London imposed strict

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 7

In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

44% (01:53) correct 56% (01:28) wrong based on 86 sessions
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.========
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 7

Re: CR......In the years since the city of London imposed [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 05:45
All of them look like assumptions to me...
The only possible answer i can think of is D .

Please explain

Shikhar

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: CR......In the years since the city of London imposed [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 06:01
I feel its A.

What's the OA?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR......In the years since the city of London imposed [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 10:32
i think it's D ...OA plz..with explanation
Current Student
Status: If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

Re: CR......In the years since the city of London imposed [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 16:53
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.========
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

I went for E.
Conclusion: Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
the conclusion clearly implies that it's desirable to have increase in bird in and around the city. - so I rejected D
A cannot be the answer because if air pollution is not a problem then conclusion wouldn't have been recommended for other cities.

I felt E is the answer because the argument talks about # of bird species seen - doesn't matter whether actual # of species has increased or not; what argument is concerned about is # of bird species seen

--Syed
" Some are desperate for success, and therefore destined for it."

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: CR......In the years since the city of London imposed [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 18:45
I think the answer is D. What is the answer given in the source where you got this question? Please share.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 7

Re: CR......In the years since the city of London imposed [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 22:38
This post received
KUDOS
OA IS A....

Explanation still required...

Shikhar

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 109

Re: CR......In the years since the city of London imposed [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 07:45
+1 A

My explanations are the following:

shikhar wrote:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry. - CORRECT: The argument only focuses on the problem of the number of birds. We cannot assume that there are not other air-pollution problems generated by other causes such as cars. (B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air. - The author assumes that there is a causal relationship between the regulations and the quality of air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London. - The author must assume that the conditions in other cities are similar to those in London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.- The author must assume that the other cities also want a greater number of bird species.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area. - I agree that this could also be the answer. But A seems better.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 21:32

If increase in birds seen doesn't imply increase in Birds species .

This shows there is no use of implementing same regulations in other cities when London doesn't have stated affect.
Conclusion falls apart after negating (E).Hence , an assumption

Rgds,
TGC!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 75

Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 02:26
shikhar wrote:

Isn't D a strengthener? Experts please explains the PoE

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 12:00
greatps24 wrote:
shikhar wrote:

Isn't D a strengthener? Experts please explains the PoE

Hi great apps
I did not get your doubt ....Did you opt for D because its strengthening....Moreover its not an strengthener its just an assumption ...basis on the last sentence of the argument.....that Similar rules needs to be implemented in other cities as well.

If you go through powerscore guide .....it says that diffeerence between sterngthening and assumption is very thin.....Infact,In case of cause and effect argument the answers considered right for strengthen question will also stand for assumption questions.....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!

Archit
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 21:50

Assumption Except.

Should be (A). after seeing 'almost entirely' by phrase

Regulations are targeted on local industry. So, if in most major cities problems are not caused almost entirely by local industry, then conclusion doesn't fall since there can be minor problems from local industry which can be rectified by imposing regulations.

The keyword here is 'almost entirely'.

(D). says an assumption, if the goal is not desired then why should similar rules be imposed in other major cities.

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2014, 21:50