Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the years since the city of London imposed strict

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 16:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:03) wrong based on 1 sessions
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

Explain your answers with the "Denial test".
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2501
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 08:18
goalsnr wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

Explain your answers with the "Denial test".


I am not sure of "Denial test" but this what how I do:

A. "almost"? not sure.
B. it is assumed.
C. similar? yes.
(D) Desirable? yes.
(E) sightings of bird species reflect an actual increase? not sure.

so I am in between A and E. "almost" in A is extreme, so A is most linkely.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 08:26
goalsnr wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

Explain your answers with the "Denial test".


(E) the actual number of species doesn't even matter to the arguement. The conclusion is more birds seen in city A, then city B should do that too.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 214
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 10:07
It is A. There is no evidence that pollution is entirely from local business.

E is ok because it talks about the species in the reading. It doesnt matter but it is part of the argument.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3571
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1753 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 10:23
Expert's post
A is clearly an assumption here!

In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

"Denial test" for A:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are not caused by local industry.

It destroys the argument. Regulation on local industry will not affect birds in most major cities.

Only E remains
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 214
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 11:33
whoops. I think your right walker. I carelessly read the question.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3571
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1753 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 11:41
Expert's post
When I saw this question for the fist time, I chose D. Bud this time it is clear for me that "is desirable" => "should be imposed"
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 18:53
I will make an attempt to explain how I reached the answer.

Denial test:
DENY the assumption, and see what effect that has on the argument.It the denial breaks the argument, the assumption is necessary.

Now summarize the argument :
The number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically .Similar strict air pollution laws must be imposed in other cities

A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are NOT caused almost entirely by local industry. ->Doesnot break the conclusion.There could be other sources for pollution.
B) Air-pollution regulations on industry DOES NOT have a significant impact on the quality of the air. ->Then there is no reason to impose the regulations. Breaks the conclusion.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are NOT basically similar to those once suffered by London. ->Then why impose similar laws?Breaks the conclusion
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is NOT desirable. ->same as B.Breaks the conclusion
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London DOES NOT reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area ->That implies th enew regulations did not do any good.Break the conclusion

OA is A
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3571
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1753 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 20:55
Expert's post
:evil: I disagree with OA!

In E the argument claims that the main purpose: increase in the number of bird species seen in and around London

Denial test

(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London don't reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

Why do we need here the actual increase? Maybe birds don't like fly in polluted air as we don't like swim in polluted river. More people - cleaner river but the same number people in the area. What the author is going to reach in the most cities? Increase in the actual number of birds or in the number of seen birds?

decrease in pollution --> increase in the number of seen birds --> decrease in pollution works! --> should be implemented in
the the most cities.

Discussion must go on ! :2gunfire:
:-D
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2501
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 21:53
The passage says that the reduced polution caused increase in the no. of bird species seen in and arround london. So, how the passage is measuring the effect of "strict air-polution regulation"? by sightings. if the increase in number of bird species seen does not reflect the actual, then no use of such regulation. therefore, E is assumed.

why and how I chose A, its too extream i.e. "almost entirely", which means air-polution by the local industry is the only polution. this is no where assumed and indicated in the passage. therefore, i leaned to A.

better explanations are welcomed.

goalsnr wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

Explain your answers with the "Denial test".

_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3571
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1753 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 23:16
Expert's post
GMAT TIGER wrote:
The passage says that the reduced polution caused increase in the no. of bird species seen in and arround london. So, how the passage is measuring the effect of "strict air-polution regulation"? by sightings. if the increase in number of bird species seen does not reflect the actual, then no use of such regulation. therefore, E is assumed.

why and how I chose A, its too extream i.e. "almost entirely", which means air-polution by the local industry is the only polution. this is no where assumed and indicated in the passage. therefore, i leaned to A.

better explanations are welcomed.


Thanks, Tiger. Now I have doubt about my attitude to A but I still disagree in necessity of increase in the actual number of birds...Maybe E helps to exclude possibility of increase in the number of bird species seen in and around London with simultaneous decrease in the actual number of birds.........
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Denial test [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 06:35
walker wrote:
:evil: I disagree with OA!

In E the argument claims that the main purpose: increase in the number of bird species seen in and around London

Denial test

(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London don't reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

Why do we need here the actual increase? Maybe birds don't like fly in polluted air as we don't like swim in polluted river. More people - cleaner river but the same number people in the area. What the author is going to reach in the most cities? Increase in the actual number of birds or in the number of seen birds?

decrease in pollution --> increase in the number of seen birds --> decrease in pollution works! --> should be implemented in
the the most cities.

Discussion must go on ! :2gunfire:
:-D



>>>>>>The increase in the numbers of birds indicate the new regulations are working to improve the quality of air.So it is a valid assumption.
Re: CR-Denial test   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2008, 06:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the years since the city of London imposed strict lvtrung205 7 21 Oct 2012, 00:12
7 In the years since the city of London imposed strict joyseychow 15 05 Feb 2009, 05:46
In the years since the city of London imposed strict sperinko 7 05 Aug 2006, 16:14
In the years since the city of London imposed strict mailtheguru 11 08 Jun 2006, 06:40
In the years since the city of London imposed strict cybera 4 14 Jul 2005, 09:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the years since the city of London imposed strict

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.