Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the years since the city of London imposed strict

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 06:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 06:19
I will go with B author does not say anything quantitatively abt improvement in quality of air,i.e. it may be slight impovement or significant improvement.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 06:21
B.

zoltan wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.

The first supports his assumption. It uses "almost entirely" rather than saying "entirely". It doesn't make a huge leap.

(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.

The passage says nothing about the quality of the air. The passage merely states that strict air-pollution regualtions resulted in the number of bird species seen in and around London. This goes to far to say "significant" impact, when in realtiy, it might not have taken a significant impact to see an increase in bird species in and around London. Only a marginal increase might have been enough to see a difference in the number of bird species.

(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.

This has to be an assumption or the argument in the stem falls apart. The stem assumes that other cities will have the same result as London.

(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.

If this were not an assumption, the stem would not cite this as evidence and then move to saying other cities should enact the same regulatins. If you want thing A to occur, and event B causes thing A to occur, then if you do not want thing A, do not recommend event B.

(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

This is an assumption or the correlation between the regulations and sightings is not justified.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 06:33
zoltan wrote:

D.

B is def an assumption.
SVP
SVP

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 06:47
But D is assuming that the increase is desireable or the regulations are not necessary.

GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
zoltan wrote:

D.

B is def an assumption.

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 07:20
jallenmorris wrote:
But D is assuming that the increase is desireable or the regulations are not necessary.

GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
zoltan wrote:

D.

B is def an assumption.

11-p415016?t=54777&hilit=the+years+since+the+city+London+imposed+strict+air+pollution+regulations+local+industry+the+number+bird+species+seen+around+London+has+increased+dramatically+Similar+air+pollution+rules+should+imposed+other+major+cities#p415016

I hate this question, we are all wrong.
SVP
SVP

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 07:42
I agree. This is a bad question. I think A does exaggerate so it is likely not going to be an assumption, but at the same time, it seems that industry being a significant cause is an assumption for the other parts of the argument to make sense.

This is the type of question I shrug my shoulders at and move on.

If the authors of the GMAT were so great at taking their own test, wouldn't they too have gone to top 5 b-schools and left the GMAT writing profession behind? Is there truly that much joy in making 3+ months of our lives hell?

J Allen Morris

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 15:31
What is the OA??
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 17:44
A
:lol:

did this one at least 3 times already T_T
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 17:49
I can't believe it's not B...
The statement doesn't say anything about the quality of air.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 00:55
Going with A here

"A" puts the onus of air pollution "entirely" on the local industry. If the argument stated that the regulations were imposed only on the local industry then A would have been an assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: CR-assumption [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 02:50
OA=A
Re: CR-assumption   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2008, 02:50