Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 22:57
angel2009 wrote:
In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in which they are growing dries out during the dry season. Therefore, if amaryllis plants kept as houseplants are to thrive, water should be withheld from them during part of the year so that the plants go dormant.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Most kinds of plants go dormant at some time or other during the year.
(B) Amaryllis are more difficult keep as houseplants than other kinds of plants are.
(C) Water should be withheld from amaryllis plants kept as houseplants during the exact time of year that corresponds to the dry season in their native habitat.
(D) Any amaryllis plant that fails to thrive is likely to have been dormant for too short a time.
(E) Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods.

1 : Amaryllis plant go dormant when soil dries out. ( why ??? what happens when they go dormant )
2 : to thrive amaryllis plants as houseplant, water should be withheld from them so that plants go dormant. (from here we assume that they do not require water when they go dormant )

options E points out the fact in other language ""Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods". hence IMO E is the correct answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 23:03
It has to be E. This is the only answer choice which connects the non-sensical first half of the sentence (premise) to the second half (conclusion).

Because first half the question introduces drying up. Second half talks about withholding water yet again.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 11:48
Is C wrong because it is restating the conclusion?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 33

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 17:59
(A) It is not true that Most kinds of plants go dormant at some time or other during the year.
(B) It is not true that Amaryllis are more difficult keep as houseplants than other kinds of plants are.
(C) It is not true that Water should be withheld from amaryllis plants kept as houseplants during the exact time of year that corresponds to the dry season in their native habitat.
(D) It is not true that Any amaryllis plant that fails to thrive is likely to have been dormant for too short a time.
(E) It is not true that Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods.

out ot the above negated option, D weakens the conclusion.

E is wrong bcoz it speaks about amaryllis in native habitat not amaryllis grown as houseplants

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 19:39
In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in which they are growing dries out during the dry season. Therefore, if amaryllis plants kept as houseplants are to thrive, water should be withheld from them during part of the year so that the plants go dormant.

(B) Amaryllis are more difficult keep as houseplants than other kinds of plants are.
(C) Water should be withheld from amaryllis plants kept as houseplants during the exact time of year that corresponds to the dry season in their native habitat.
(D) Any amaryllis plant that fails to thrive is likely to have been dormant for too short a time.
(E) Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods.

E is right because assumption should lead to conclusion, conclusion is coming to an observation based on a premise. now if conclusion has to be right here "amaryllis plants thrive as houseplants" assumption has to be they thrive in their native habitats also and so they will thrive here.

D is talking about time, this is irrelevant to the passage, no where does it say how much time should it be dormant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 31

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 20:42
first pick E nyc question D is straight out of scope

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 04-30-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 08:52
I will go with D - can we have the official answer please?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 00:11
mysterio wrote:
angel2009 wrote:

1 : Amaryllis plant go dormant when soil dries out. ( why ??? what happens when they go dormant )
2 : to thrive amaryllis plants as houseplant, water should be withheld from them so that plants go dormant. (from here we assume that they do not require water when they go dormant )

options E points out the fact in other language ""Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods". hence IMO E is the correct answer

Well, I have the following observation to make:

E - Speaks about some other benefit other than just surviving. Who knows about that? Where is it assumed that there can be another benefit without doing that? Where does it state that the plant's survival or routine goes fine without the dormancy period. In fact, it is explicitly mentioned that despite keeping in house, it needs to have that dormant phase.
Hence, clearly dormancy phase is required for survival or "thriving" at least. But, who knows/cares about "some other" benefiting some way?
A little far -fetched isn't it, especially, when both premises talk about dormancy periods, why do we have to question the purpose of periods.
Our job is to really compare the two scenarios in the two premises(Keeping in house and natural habitat).

Hence, C.

Well, about D, Premise says - "if amaryllis plants kept as houseplants are to thrive, water should be withheld from them during part of the year so that the plants go dormant"

Meaning, if withheld, then thrives.
If A, then B.
D clearly says - If not thriving, then likely to have too short dormancy. Again, how do we know?
If not B, then not A, is fine => Not thriving, then Not withheld from water(leave the other possibilities that might kill the plant - OOS).
But, how can we say, not withholding water => short or long dormant period????? This further assumes that longer the dormancy, better chance of thriving, again far-fetched, IMO.

Thanks,
Raghu
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 296

Kudos [?]: 457 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 13:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This was a fun question :).

ANSWER: E

On my first reading I knew it was (E), but I didn't like the "preventing death" part. I went back and eliminated all the other ones, and re-read (E), making sense of the "preventing death" part. My reasoning was as follows:

Amaryllis go dormant during the dry season. It we want amaryllis to thrive as houseplants we should also keep them dormant.

There is a little disconnect here, and thus, to be valid, the argument requires a little more. So where's the gap? We want the amaryllis to thrive indoors, but nowhere in the argument does it say that an outdoor amaryllis, in order to thrive, must go dormant.

We are looking for an answer choice that plugs up this gap.

With that in mind I eliminated as follows:

Who cares about other plants (I mean question-wise, not in general) :)

Again, who cares about other plants.

This may help the amaryllis go dormant (or it may not). It definitely doesn't bridge the gap, i.e., does dormancy allow an amaryllis to thrive.

This answer choice shows the importance between dormancy and thriving. However, it does not address the assumption: in order to thrive an amaryllis must first go dormant.

(E) Going dormant benefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods. ANSWER

The key here is connecting going dormant with thriving. This answer suggests that the amaryllis doesn't just go dormant in order to survive. It leaves open the possibility that the amaryllis goes dormant in order to thrive. That is, if you want an amaryllis to thrive--either outdoors or indoors--you have to make it go dormant.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Last edited by ChrisLele on 26 Mar 2012, 06:59, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 03:20
IMO E
This a Logic Gap argument. a right answer must be fit logically in the argument.
I am able to zero down with C and E.
C:
negate C: Water should not necessarily be withheld from amaryllis plants kept as houseplants during the exact time of year that corresponds to the dry season in their native habitat.

Conclusion does not become invalid due to this negation. hence C is not the answer.

E
Going dormant not necessarilybenefits amaryllis plants in their native habitat in some way other than simply preventing death during overly dry periods.

Conclusion fails as going dormant does not benifit the plant kept as household
hence E

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 13:54
raviram80 wrote:
Hi

Could someone explain the answer here?

I thought answer is D.

Thanks

This is too extreme-cross
So the plant goes dormant because it wants to survive the dry season. If so then in house plant does not need to go dormant due to abundant supply of water. The argument therefore must assume other benefit the plant could get.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 13

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 16:14
Vote for E

Conclusion
if amaryllis plants kept as houseplants are to thrive, water should be withheld from them during part of the year so that the plants go dormant

Premise
native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the soil in which they are growing dries out during the dry season

--> Out of scope

--> Out of scope

--> exact time of year--> to extreme

--> This weaken the conclusion

--> "dormant benefits amaryllis plants" provide additionl premise to support conclusion
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 16:47
+1 E

The argument assumes that amarilis always must be "dried" yearly, no matter whether the weather is dry or not. In other words, going dormant is required independently from the weather.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 08:05
I thought C or E. I end up choosing E because the last problem i did, I chose something that is too absolute and certain and tries to imitate the conclusion and got wrong. So I chose something more indirect to avoid "trap". :D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 21:51
Amaryllis plants going dormant during the period of dry season must have something to do with these plants thriving other than just preventing death.
Option E fill in that gap.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 18:03
I also do not understand why E is picked, but intuitively I chose E haha.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 07:31
Can someone explain in detail why c is not correct?

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 08:06
I got E :)

btw Nice explanation Chris!

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 05:26
Went with E.

If there is no real benefit of withholding water from the household types, then you probably might cause more harm than good to the plant, thereby probably reducing its chance of thriving.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 07:02
I'll add my 2 cents:

dry --> dormant
------------
thrive --> dormant

What is missing: thrive --> dry

SO E.

If you narrowed it down to D and E, you could have eliminated D on the basis of it being too extreme "any".

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Re: In their native habit, amaryllis plants go dormant when the   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2012, 07:02