Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In their physical characteristics, bat species range from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In their physical characteristics, bat species range from [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 05:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In their physical characteristics, bat species range from the hog-nosed type, the size of a bumblebee and weighing about as much as a penny, to fruit-eating bats that weigh two pounds and have a wingspan of up to six feet.

(A) the hog-nosed type, the size of a bumblebee and weighing about as much as a penny, to
(B) the hog-nosed type, the size of a bumblebee and weighs about as much as a penny, to
(C) the hog-nosed type, the size of a bumblebee, and it weighs about as much as a penny, to
(D) those of the hog-nosed type, equal in size to a bumblebee and in weight about as much as a penny, to those of
(E) those of the hog-nosed type, which is the size of a bumblebee, weighing about as much as a penny, to those of

Thanks in advance.

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 05:10
I think only E uses the correct modifier and comparison.

hey ya......

SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - bat species [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 05:39
gamjatang wrote:
In their physical characteristics, bat species range from the hog-nosed type, the size of a bumblebee and weighing about as much as a penny, to fruit-eating bats that weigh two pounds and have a wingspan of up to six feet.

(A) the hog-nosed type, the size of a bumblebee and weighing about as much as a penny, to
(B) the hog-nosed type, the size of a bumblebee and weighs about as much as a penny, to
(C) the hog-nosed type, the size of a bumblebee, and it weighs about as much as a penny, to
(D) those of the hog-nosed type, equal in size to a bumblebee and in weight about as much as a penny, to those of
(E) those of the hog-nosed type, which is the size of a bumblebee, weighing about as much as a penny, to those of

Thanks in advance.

IMO, "physical characteristics" is the key---->we're talking about type of bat rather than the species' individuals-----> " those" indicates individuals, which is not correct----> D and E can be crossed.Among three left, A is ok.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - bat species [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2005, 02:46
laxieqv wrote:
gamjatang wrote:

Thanks in advance.

IMO, "physical characteristics" is the key---->we're talking about type of bat rather than the species' individuals-----> " those" indicates individuals, which is not correct----> D and E can be crossed.Among three left, A is ok.

Thanks for the explanation.

The OA is indeed A.

However, I still dont understand...

Does "the size of a bumblebee and weighing about as much as a penny" sound good to you?

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - bat species [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2005, 04:39
gamjatang wrote:

Does "the size of a bumblebee and weighing about as much as a penny" sound good to you?

It does NOT sound good to me as well :P ...but it maintains a PHRASE, which is correct to perform clarification to " the hog-nosed type".
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - bat species [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2005, 05:23
laxieqv wrote:
gamjatang wrote:

It does NOT sound good to me as well :P ...but it maintains a PHRASE, which is correct to perform clarification to " the hog-nosed type".

Xiexie ni for the explanation as well as for the music.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2005, 07:02
bu yong xie ( not at all!) :wink: ..we're here to Contributing to each other's Learning ^_^ . I'm glad that you enjoy the song, my BIG TIME fav song!
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 05:58
Laxie rules this club, both Q and V! She is HongHu`s new protege. Expect to see her 800 score posted as a sticky in the Share Your GMAT Experience forum sometime early next year. :wink:
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 06:19
GMATT73 wrote:
Laxie rules this club, both Q and V! She is HongHu`s new protege. Expect to see her 800 score posted as a sticky in the Share Your GMAT Experience forum sometime early next year. :wink:

Wish the maximum GMAT score is above 800 for laxie. :lol:

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 06:53
( sorry to bosses for my a little off-topic :oops: )

Please don't praise me!!! :oops: ..I'm very very normal :!: ...It's just that my neurotransmitters capriciously peak. I still have to learn A LOT from all of you here :oops: . Kochira koso yoroshiku ^_~
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 07:10
iie, laxie, kochira koso yoroshiku onegai itashimasu. kimi wa hontou ni tensai to omoimasu. tokuni, suugaku to bunpou/dokkai no nouryoku wa BATSUGUN da yo :!: anata wa wakakute, yonkagokugo wo shabete, mainichi isshokenmei benkyou suru kara zettai 800 ten no tassei ni narimasu. boku wa kimi wo eien ni ooen shimasu. Yakusoku shimasu.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: 8-)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 10:10
I will vote for A.

from x to y is correct idiom

The phrase in between comma modifies the type of bats -- since it is not an independent clause ... "weighs about" is not the correct uses. Hence, "weighing..." seems to modify the bat correctly.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 21:24
I am confused between A and B.
Vote for 'A'.

Can someone tell me why B is not the correct answer.
  [#permalink] 29 Oct 2005, 21:24