Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 May 2016, 05:37
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1420
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 165

Kudos [?]: 1066 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2011, 22:57
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:59) correct 27% (01:17) wrong based on 102 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

29. In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons of stone were quarried in France for the building
of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
tens of thousands of parish churches.
(A) for the building of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(B) in order that they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(C) so as they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(D) so that there could be built eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and
(E) such that they could build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 295
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 27

Re: In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 03:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
THERE COULD BE DONE SOMETHING is not idiomatic.
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 121
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: help required.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2011, 23:13
siddharthasingh wrote:
29. In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons of stone were quarried in France for the building
of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
tens of thousands of parish churches.
(A) for the building of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some --- correct
(B) in order that they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(C) so as they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(D) so that there could be built eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and
(E) such that they could build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and


they does not have any proper antecedent here... hence left with options A and D..
could be built is awkward in D..
A has no issues..
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 37

Re: help required.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2011, 06:27
+1 for A. Other choices are easy to eliminate.

Crick
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 89
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 45

Reviews Badge
Re: help required.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2013, 09:12
Well, "could be built" is passive form and it is parallel to "were quarried". I don't understand why this is wrong. Can someone explain, please?


ctkrishnan wrote:
siddharthasingh wrote:
29. In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons of stone were quarried in France for the building
of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
tens of thousands of parish churches.
(A) for the building of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some --- correct
(B) in order that they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(C) so as they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(D) so that there could be built eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and
(E) such that they could build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and


they does not have any proper antecedent here... hence left with options A and D..
could be built is awkward in D..
A has no issues..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: help required.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2013, 15:05
nechets wrote:
Well, "could be built" is passive form and it is parallel to "were quarried". I don't understand why this is wrong. Can someone explain, please?


As mentioned, "could be built" is awkward because the nouns (eighty cathedrals, etc.) are AFTER the verb.

One could have written "... eighty cathedrals could be built..." but not "... could be built eighty cathedrals..."
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 21
GPA: 3.6
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 52

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 04:55
options B,C,D,E are showing uncertain condition. but from the meaning of the question we can figure out that the stones were used to build all these buildings.

so,
A only.
Re: In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2015, 04:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Designed to accommodate only 20 million tons of trash ZeeUsuf 4 14 Mar 2014, 03:40
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic In three centuriesfrom 1050 to 1350several million tons of PTK 6 01 Nov 2010, 02:07
In three centuries - from 1050 to 1350 - several million Beyond700 9 08 Oct 2007, 08:08
In three centuries from 1050 to 1350 several million tons of jyotsnasarabu 9 28 Nov 2006, 12:31
In three centuriesfrom 1050 to 1350several million tons of Professor 11 02 Jun 2006, 22:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.