Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [70]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [20]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [4]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: In three centuries—from 1050 to 1350—several million tons of stone wer [#permalink]
Kudos
A.

A. is wordy, but there's nothing wrong grammatically.

B. 'might' serves no purpose. they has no clear antecedent and can even refer to tons of stone.

C. 'so as ... might..' 'so as' is unidiomatic. 'might' serves no purpose and makes the passage wordy.
'They' has no clear antecedent.

D. 'There could be built'. Use of there and passive voice are awkward.

E. 'They' has no clear antecedent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: In three centuries—from 1050 to 1350—several million tons of stone wer [#permalink]
siddharthasingh wrote:
29. In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons of stone were quarried in France for the building
of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
tens of thousands of parish churches.
(A) for the building of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some --- correct
(B) in order that they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(C) so as they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(D) so that there could be built eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and
(E) such that they could build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and

they does not have any proper antecedent here... hence left with options A and D..
could be built is awkward in D..
A has no issues..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I got the question right. But it was more of a calculated guess. Can someone explain why D is wrong?

"there could be built sounds correct"
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
+1 A

"they" doesn't have antecedent.
D changes the meaning. It seems that the churches were built in where the stones were.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Well, "could be built" is passive form and it is parallel to "were quarried". I don't understand why this is wrong. Can someone explain, please?

ctkrishnan wrote:
siddharthasingh wrote:
29. In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons of stone were quarried in France for the building
of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
tens of thousands of parish churches.
(A) for the building of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some --- correct
(B) in order that they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(C) so as they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(D) so that there could be built eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and
(E) such that they could build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and

they does not have any proper antecedent here... hence left with options A and D..
could be built is awkward in D..
A has no issues..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
nechets wrote:
Well, "could be built" is passive form and it is parallel to "were quarried". I don't understand why this is wrong. Can someone explain, please?

As mentioned, "could be built" is awkward because the nouns (eighty cathedrals, etc.) are AFTER the verb.

One could have written "... eighty cathedrals could be built..." but not "... could be built eighty cathedrals..."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
THERE COULD BE DONE SOMETHING is not idiomatic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
options B,C,D,E are showing uncertain condition. but from the meaning of the question we can figure out that the stones were used to build all these buildings.

so,
A only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
what is the problem with option D ?
'there' is refer to place !?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos