Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 23:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:43) correct 16% (01:21) wrong based on 68 sessions
In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the organism’s trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it.
(A) trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it.
(B) trying that it metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant
(C) attempt to try to metabolize, or render harmless, such a chemical irritant
(D) attempt to try and metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritating it
(E) attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1171

Kudos [?]: 3047 [3] , given: 176

Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi all,

Received a PM to clarify the reference of 'it' in this sentence.

'It' in choices A & D should logically refer to 'organism's' but grammatically, this reference is not possible because 'it' is a pronoun that can only refer to a noun. However, 'organism's' is not a noun. It functions as an adjective. It modifies 'attempt'. Hence, pronoun 'it' cannot refer to 'organism's'. These two choices can be eliminated on this incorrect pronoun reference.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Last edited by egmat on 18 Jan 2013, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 791 [1] , given: 82

Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi thangvietnam,

Adopting in answer choice (C) is correct.

In the question you mentioned correct answer is (C)

Option (B) has meaning error-- As per the sentence the imposition is on

1) Truck
2) Bus Engine's polution

Actually the imposition is on pollution by engines of both truck and bus, making (B) incorrect

Both of the modified options below are correct

(B) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by the joint adoption of
(C) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting

joint adoption and jointly adopting -- both are correct;

Hope it helps.

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 01:41
Usage of attempt and try is redundant in D and E.
and out of the rest organism's attempt to metabolize .... could be the right usage. So IMO E.

OA please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 02:08
skim wrote:
In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the organism’s trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it.
(A) trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it.
(D) attempt to try and metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritating it

A and B are awkward and wordy. In A and D attempt to Try is redundant and unidiomatic. Hence E is correct one.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 18:38
OA is indeed E
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 323

Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 04:22
Quote:

Organism`s is possessive it should be like organism`s NOUN

so A&B are ruled out
attempt to try to is redundant C&D left out

we are left with E now

One Final Try.......

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 18:54
+1 E

However, according to the OG 12th, "chemichal that is irritating IT" and "chemichal irritating IT" are both gramatically correct. But, isn't "IT" ambiguous in this sentence?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 6

Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 22:55
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

However, according to the OG 12th, "chemichal that is irritating IT" and "chemichal irritating IT" are both gramatically correct. But, isn't "IT" ambiguous in this sentence?

Hmmm........the logical referent to "it" is "organism",but its in possessive form in the sentence,so not sure whether "it" can refer to "organism" or not.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 02:38

So first of all it does not sound good :). If it were like

"enzymes are trying...." or like then it would have need our consideration. SO A, B are wrong and we have to use attempt.

(C) attempt to try to metabolize, or render harmless, such a chemical irritant (Wordy as attempt to try to...its like saying repeating again :) )
(D) attempt to try and metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritating it (Wordy)

E is clear winner and it has to be the OA.

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 09:45
I have chosen E as the answer:

A. The use of "trying" is very confusing. This should be replaced by a word that is clearer.

B. Again, trying is confusing. The use of the pronoun "it" is confusing to me and seems repetitive if it refers back to organism.

C. Attempt and to try are redundant. The use of "such a" does not make sense in this context.

D. Again, attempt and to try are redundant.

E. Using just the word "attempt" makes the sentence clearer. Without the pronoun "it," the sentence also seems to make more sense because I'm no longer confused about what "it" is supposed to refer to.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 14:10
C and D have "attempt to try" which seems redundant.
Hence E
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIBA
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Stern, Insead, ISB, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Banking and Financial Services)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 05:49
vjsharma25 wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

Hmmm........the logical referent to "it" is "organism",but its in possessive form in the sentence,so not sure whether "it" can refer to "organism" or not.

I share the same understanding that it can not logically refer to possessive organism's. Can anyone throw some light on this ?

~soaringAlone
~Live fast, die young and leave a marketable corpse behind !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 22:36
Doing vs noun, trying, attempt
Doing is used when creator of doing thi ro rang
Most countries agree in adopting measure(gmatprep problem) not adoption of measure.
Doing is used when there is noun,
My learning is good.

Noun is used to refer to general action. Posseive +noun is used to show the creator of action because noun is general.
if noun exist (attempt) never use possessive+doing.
In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species (og problem)

pls comment
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 17:38

a/b just wrong 'organism's trying

d is gone because 'to try and metabolize'

took e over c because of concision/clarity and I didn't like 'such a chemical irritant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 20:39
if noun of doing exists, we can not use possessive +doing. we should remember this thing as mechanical grammar point.

organism's trying
is wrong

of course, if there is no noun , we have to use possesive+doing.
my learning gmat is good.

this above point of grammar is ilustrated by this og problem.

there is some cases in which, doing is correct, and noun is incorrect. the following is from gmatprep, og sourse.

Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt eission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules.
A to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt
B to impose new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution by the joint adoption of
(C) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting
D for imposing new ontrols on pollusion from truck and bus engines, and jointly adopting
E for imposing new controls on truck and bus engine pollution in the joint adoption of

in above sentence, adopting is correct, and adoption is incorrect. adopting implies that the states do "adopting" and is correct. in contrast, "adoption" implies the general action which has no doer of "adoption". this is incorrect.

possessive+noun is good because possesive shows the doer of noun. "oganism's attempt" is good. "oganism's" makes general noun "attemp" belong to the doer of "attempt.

in above sentense, I think "by/in their joint adoption" would be correct though it is wordy.

is my thinking correct?, pls comment
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 230

Re: production of enzymes [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 01:55
cipher wrote:
skim wrote:

A and B are awkward and wordy. In A and D attempt to Try is redundant and unidiomatic. Hence E is correct one.

Cheers

Can some One guide me what is the Idiom here?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT Date: 06-24-2013

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 10:08
skim wrote:

Hi Experts,

the phrase "that are organism's...." is modifying "enzymes" or clause "dioxin induces the production of enzymes"?
as "that" is followed by "are" hence it should be "enzymes" but analysis of meaning suggests that it should be "dioxin induces the production of enzymes".

Please help. Where is my analysis going wrong.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1171

Kudos [?]: 3047 [0], given: 176

Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 09:17
Expert's post
Mission2012 wrote:
skim wrote:

Hi Experts,

the phrase "that are organism's...." is modifying "enzymes" or clause "dioxin induces the production of enzymes"?
as "that" is followed by "are" hence it should be "enzymes" but analysis of meaning suggests that it should be "dioxin induces the production of enzymes".

Please help. Where is my analysis going wrong.

Hi there,

You are correct in saying that the plural verb "are" indicates that "that" refers to enzymes. The meaning is that dioxin induces something: what does it induce? It induces the production of enzymes. These enzymes are the organism's attempt to metabolize the chemical or render it harmless. I agree that it would be more logical to infer that the production of the enzymes should be the entity being modified, but from the intended meaning of the sentence, it is clear that "that are" refers to enzymes since this part is not underlined.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species [#permalink] New post 25 May 2014, 23:20
no one fully explain why "trying" is wong here. read the Ron's explanation of doing in "joint adoption" question

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species   [#permalink] 25 May 2014, 23:20