Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 217

GMAT Tests User
In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 15:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:06) correct 34% (01:15) wrong based on 159 sessions
In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology or both. If 60 of these students do not study biology, how many of these students study both physics and biology?

(1) Of the 150 students, 40 do not study physics.
(2) A total of 110 of the students study physics.

I understand the rest of the question apart from the highlighted text. Can someone please try to explain where it fits in the table please? And also, I will appreciate if you can also please let me know how to get D as an answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Students who study both? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 18:48
In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology or both. If 60 of these students do not study biology, how many of these students study both physics and biology?

AD|BCE

A:
Draw a Venn diagram. 60 of these students do not study biology therefore 60 are exclusively physics students. 40 do not study physics therefore 40 are exclusively biology students. This leaves 50 remaining students that study both.

Since A is confirmed, we evaluate B alone...

B: I started off by drawing a Venn diagram for this one too. If 60 of these students do not study biology then they must do physics (same start as A). Now the statement says a total of 110 students study physics so 110-60= 50. These remaining 50 must study both.

A and B are both valid therefore D is the answer. Please let me know if I'm missing something. Hope that helps.

make each day your masterpiece

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3358

Kudos [?]: 24331 [1] , given: 2676

Re: Students who study both? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
enigma123 wrote:

I understand the rest of the question apart from the highlighted text. Can someone please try to explain where it fits in the table please? And also, I will appreciate if you can also please let me know how to get D as an answer.

"150 students study physics or biology or both" means: 150={physics}+{biology}-{both}, we subtract {both} (students who study both physics or biology) since its counted in {physics} as well as in {biology}.

"60 of these students do not study biology" means: 60={physics}-{both} (so 60 study ONLY physics) --> 150=60+{biology} (from above) --> {biology}=90.

Question: {both}=?

(1) Of the 150 students, 40 do not study physics --> 40={biology}-{both} --> 40=90-{both} --> {both}=50. Sufficient.

(2) A total of 110 of the students study physics --> {physics}=110, so from 60={physics}-{both} --> {both}=50. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 01:29
+1 D

I used the ven dig to solve this

Got P=110 in the first statement & this is also given in the 2nd statement. Thus D

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 24331 [0], given: 2676

Re: In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 06:27
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Overlapping Sets:
advanced-overlapping-sets-problems-144260.html
how-to-draw-a-venn-diagram-for-problems-98036.html

All DS Overlapping Sets Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=45
All PS Overlapping Sets Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=65

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1124 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
enigma123 wrote:

Let a be the number of ONLY physics, b the number of ONLY biology and c the number of both PB.

a+b+c=150 and a=60 so b+c=90, c=?

(1) Of the 150 students, 40 do not study physics. (or study ONLY biology)
b=40 => c=50
Sufficient

a+c=100, c=50
Sufficient

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 05:13
enigma123 wrote:

When they say X, Y or both, do they always mean that Neither is zero? Cause I remember seeing a question where this was stated and then had a surprise when in one of the statements it mentioned that neither had a value. Just wondering what is usually the case with this type of wording.

Thanks for the feedback
Cheers
J :)
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 24331 [0], given: 2676

Re: In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 03:56
Expert's post
jlgdr wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

When they say X, Y or both, do they always mean that Neither is zero? Cause I remember seeing a question where this was stated and then had a surprise when in one of the statements it mentioned that neither had a value. Just wondering what is usually the case with this type of wording.

Thanks for the feedback
Cheers
J :)

150 students study physics or biology or both means that no one from these 150 studies neither physics or biology. How else?

Can you please post the link to the question you are talking about? Thank you.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 24

Re: In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:43
enigma123 wrote:

Used a table method to solve.

Kudo if it helps
Attachments

Solution.png
Solution.png [ 19.81 KiB | Viewed 807 times ]

Re: In Washington School, 150 students study physics or biology   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 06:43