Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Western economies, more energy is used to operate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 279 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
In Western economies, more energy is used to operate [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (02:21) correct 38% (01:30) wrong based on 160 sessions
In Western economies, more energy is used to operate buildings than to operate
transportation. Much of the decline in energy consumption since the oil crisis of 1973 is due
to more efficient use of energy in homes and offices. New building technologies, which
make lighting, heating, and ventilation systems more efficient, have cut billions of dollars
from energy bills in the West. Since energy savings from these efficiencies save several
billion dollars per year today, we can conclude that 50 to 100 years from now they will save
more than $200 billion per year (calculated in current dollars). On which one of the
following assumptions does the argument rely?
a) Technology used to make buildings energy efficient will not become prohibitively expensive
over the next century.
b) Another oil crisis will occur in the next 50 to 100 years.
c) Buildings will gradually become a less important consumer of energy than transportation.
d) Energy bills in the West will be $200 billion lower in the next 50 to 100 years.
e) Energy-efficient technologies based on new scientific principles will be introduced in the
next 50 to 100 years.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Assumption [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 13:58
+1 A

If it is impossible to still constructing efficient buildings, we cannot claim that we will save in energy in the future.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Assumption [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 07:57
The relation between efficiency of the technology used in buildings and money saved on energy bills is presented.
Hence only if the cost of the technology to make buildings energy efficient does not raise over the next 50 years, would it be safe to say that energy bills would be lot less.

Hence A
Re: CR - Assumption   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2012, 07:57