Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 12:17
9 minutes 14 seconds.

A
E
D
B

Can anyone explain why #2 is C?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 33

Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Tough one. This question is testing your Critical Reasoning skills more than anything. The question asks: if X (criteria discussed in lines 16-32), then what MUST BE TRUE? Therefore, approach it as if it were a MUST BE TRUE Critical reasoning question.

What are the premises?

Everything stated in X - the criterias(!):

To guarantee water rights, the land needs to...

(1) the land in question lies within an enclave under exclusive federal jurisdiction,
(2) the land has been formally withdrawn from federal public lands — i.e., withdrawn from the stock of federal lands available for private use under federal land use laws — and set aside or reserved, and
(3) the circumstances reveal the government intended to reserve water as well as land when establishing the reservation.

Now, take a look a at what answer C says (the conclusion):

C. There would be no legal basis for the water rights of the Rio Grande pueblos. - Wait a minute! The second paragraph says that the Rio Grande Pueblo "never formally constituted a part of federal public land". Now look at what premise (1) states. Therefore, Rio Grande Pueblos would never be awarted water rights, as they were not part of a federal jurisdiction.

I hope it helps,

madman91 wrote:
9 minutes 14 seconds.

A
E
D
B

Can anyone explain why #2 is C?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 11:20
Hello,
a Little out of the subject, but what does V refer to in "In Winters v. United States (1908)"?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2014
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 314

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 21:49
Got 3/4 right in 9 mins..Dint understand the passage at all..! Guessed 2 answers and got the first question right and 2nd one wrong..! the third answer was well stated in the passage..and for the last one,was able to luckily understand the gist of passage..!IMO,the author wasnt arugueing or questioning any thing..he was totally in charge of the passage,and explaining or discussing facts and his point of view about these facts..!I should say,2/4 is wat i really deserve. :?

THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE ITSELF SAYS : I-M-POSSIBLE...SO,DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE-AND DO THE INCREDIBLE

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 44

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2014, 04:34
Ok, this one is 'hands down' the toughest read ever according to me.

if anyone managed to crack it in terms of getting the flow, please share.

Total KO ! :roll:
Manager
Manager

Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2014, 04:37
earnit wrote:

Absolutely right..!i was unable to infer y i dintunderstand the passage well..u spotted it right..! the flow of passage was the concern..thanks for pointing that out..! :)

THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE ITSELF SAYS : I-M-POSSIBLE...SO,DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE-AND DO THE INCREDIBLE

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2014, 11:04
vards wrote:
earnit wrote:

Absolutely right..!i was unable to infer y i dintunderstand the passage well..u spotted it right..! the flow of passage was the concern..thanks for pointing that out..! :)

Your welcome :)
I hope someone can shed some light on how the above passage is structured.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2014, 00:25
Worked through it while I was solving RC passages from OG 2015 (q56-q62). I think I died a little inside after solving this one. 2/7 :((
Here I was thinking RC is my strongest suit among all the verbal topics.
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2014, 00:32
ayushgupta1989@gmail.com wrote:
Worked through it while I was solving RC passages from OG 2015 (q56-q62). I think I died a little inside after solving this one. 2/7 :((

Haha. This was kind of funny. ayush, i certainly believe that your analysis that RC is your forte stands correct because a one off passage shouldn't really move your foundations. This passage is indeed very twisted so in all fairness, i think if you want to test yourself, go ahead with a set of 5 700+ passages and then you will be in a good position to judge yourself. Cheers!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2014, 00:42
earnit wrote:

Haha. This was kind of funny. ayush, i certainly believe that your analysis that RC is your forte stands correct because a one off passage shouldn't really move your foundations. This passage is indeed very twisted so in all fairness, i think if you want to test yourself, go ahead with a set of 5 700+ passages and then you will be in a good position to judge yourself. Cheers!

Thanks earnit
Suggestions/links for 700+ passages?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 44

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2014, 00:45
This post received
KUDOS
earnit wrote:

Thanks earnit
Suggestions/links for 700+ passages?

This should do it: reading-comprehension-question-directory-topic-difficulty-129341.html
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2014, 00:27
Expert's post
This one was a bummer!!! the toughest of the lot. I pray to god i see many such RC passages on the test.

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager

Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2014, 03:21
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
This one was a bummer!!! the toughest of the lot. I pray to god i see many such RC passages on the test.

Hey mate, you pray to god that u want to see many such RC's !! u cant be serious :)

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2014, 03:27
Expert's post
U want to see easier rc? I have a suggestion , get 15 first verbal wrong and the rest of the test would be a breezer:D

Posted from my mobile device Image

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager

Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2014, 04:13
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
U want to see easier rc? I have a suggestion , get 15 first verbal wrong and the rest of the test would be a breezer:D

Posted from my mobile device Image

Well,i dont want 780 or 800..700 would suffice me..dont u think this one would be 750 level ?? u can read my earlier post..though i got almost all of them rite,i was not at all sure while selecting half of the answers..!! :)

Re: In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held t   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2014, 04:13