Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds, the percentage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 28

In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds, the percentage [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (02:40) correct 13% (02:47) wrong based on 79 sessions
In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds, the percentage of smaller birds that survived the duration of the study exceeded the percentage of larger birds that survived. However, Yasukawa's conclusion that size is a determinant of a blackbird's chances of survival over a month-long period is probably mistaken, since smaller blackbirds are generally younger than larger ones.
The statements above, if true, support which one of the following inferences?
(A) Among the blackbirds that survived the month-long study, there was no relation between size and age.
(B) Larger blackbirds of a given age are actually more likely to survive over a one-month period than are smaller blackbirds of the same age,
(C) Among blackbirds of the same size, a difference in age probably does not indicate a difference in chances of survival over a one-month period.
(D) Among blackbirds of the same age, a difference in size may not indicate a difference in chances of survival over a month-long period.
(E) With a larger sample of blackbirds, the percentage of smaller birds that survive a one-month period would be the same as the percentage of larger birds that survive.

I am confused as I rejected all the choices while POE. Please post your approach and reason while explaining. Will post OA in some time.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 14:24
joshnsit wrote:
In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds, the percentage of smaller birds that survived the duration of the study exceeded the percentage of larger birds that survived. However, Yasukawa's conclusion that size is a determinant of a blackbird's chances of survival over a month-long period is probably mistaken, since smaller blackbirds are generally younger than larger ones.
(A) Among the blackbirds that survived the month-long study, there was no relation between size and age.
(B) Larger blackbirds of a given age are actually more likely to survive over a one-month period than are smaller blackbirds of the same age,
(C) Among blackbirds of the same size, a difference in age probably does not indicate a difference in chances of survival over a one-month period.
(D) Among blackbirds of the same age, a difference in size may not indicate a difference in chances of survival over a month-long period.
(E) With a larger sample of blackbirds, the percentage of smaller birds that survive a one-month period would be the same as the percentage of larger birds that survive.

I am confused as I rejected all the choices while POE. Please post your approach and reason while explaining. Will post OA in some time.

A) The author notes that the smaller blackbirds are quite likely to have been younger.
B) Nothing is said about whether larger blackbirds of a given age are more likely to survive.
C) The author appears to note that an older blackbird is less likely to survive, probably due to death from old age.

D) This seems to be what the author of the passage is arguing for.
E) Even with a large sample of blackbirds, the smaller birds are still likely to be younger, and therefore have longer to live.

Could you explain why it was that you rejected D?

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 75

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 06:37

Yasukawa says that larger the size of the birds , smaller the chances of survival.

This is further contradicted and the question stem is asking support for its contradiction,so we will have to opt for a statement which should say that the size of the birds are not responsible of the probability of survival though the age is.
The younger birds will liver longer , of course and even if the size is different for same aged birds the chances of survival will be the same.
(D) wins.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 22:42
Yakuza says: Smaller size means longer survival
Author says: That's wrong! Smaller birds were younger than the larger birds.

Conclusion: Among birds of same size, maybe the original conclusion ( "Smaller size means longer survival") was probably wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 00:21
+1 for D.

Best answer among the bunch without overextending the given premises.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 28

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 16:04
DonQuixote wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

A) The author notes that the smaller blackbirds are quite likely to have been younger.
B) Nothing is said about whether larger blackbirds of a given age are more likely to survive.
C) The author appears to note that an older blackbird is less likely to survive, probably due to death from old age.

D) This seems to be what the author of the passage is arguing for.
E) Even with a large sample of blackbirds, the smaller birds are still likely to be younger, and therefore have longer to live.
Could you explain why it was that you rejected D?

DonQuixote, I scratched out D because of presence of the below quoted line in the conclusion. Since, the question stem says that stimulus is true, I considered the below line true and thus, D false.
Quote:
{smaller blackbirds are generally younger than larger ones}

In a nutshell, Yasukawa says that size determines longevity, but author says that since the size is determined by age, so the small size means small age and thus smaller chances of death.
Now, I see D as a problem because, if I consider everything in argument true, then saying that same age(as per choice D) will mean different size is a deviation from what is mentioned in the argument.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Expert Post
Followers: 244

Kudos [?]: 2079 [0], given: 677

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 16:27
Expert's post
D is the answer.

In the logic chain is the only that make sense.

In inference question you have not conclusion in the stimulus and you have to drwan a conclusion based on the given information. nothing else

Nice question

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 16:50
carcass wrote:
D is the answer.
In the logic chain is the only that make sense.
In inference question you have not conclusion in the stimulus and you have to draw a conclusion based on the given information. nothing else
Nice question

carcass, Isn't this statement(especially the highlighted part) a conclusion here?
[b]Yasukawa's conclusion that size is a determinant of a blackbird's chances of survival over a month-long period is probably mistaken[/b]

Expert Post

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 16:53
Expert's post
Yup is the conclusion. But in inference (and not only) question always look at the whole picture of the situation.

;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 17:02
carcass wrote:
Yup is the conclusion. But in inference (and not only) question always look at the whole picture of the situation.

;)

I am still not sure what I am missing here. My Eureka :idea: moment seems to be still in dark. :cry: Can you shed some light in little more details how you reached D? :oops: What do the above colored portions represent? It will help..

Expert Post

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 17:14
Expert's post
joshnsit wrote:
carcass wrote:

;)

I am still not sure what I am missing here. My Eureka :idea: moment seems to be still in dark. :cry: Can you shed some light in little more details how you reached D? :oops: What do the above colored portions represent? It will help..

Ok here we are :)

A) there was no relation between size and age. this is false we have a relationship

B) This is also NOT true because the conclusion says that is a mistake (same age)

C) This is a reverse logic

E) the percentage of smaller birds that survived the duration of the study exceeded the percentage of larger birds that survived BUT choice E state the percentage of smaller birds that survive a one-month period would be the same as the percentage of larger birds that survive

Hope this helps ;) otherwise do not esitate to ask.

PS: a tip on inference question is this: the answer is ALWAYS a rephrase (the same thing with different words) of what the stimuls says

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

TOEFL iBT

Expert Post

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 00:19
Expert's post
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 05:58
+1 D

Age determines the rate of survival, while size doesn't.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 05:55
carcass wrote:
It would be useful if the post was assistant ??
THanks for just holding along. Your posts are now making so much more sense. :-D
metallicafan wrote:
+1 D
Age determines the rate of survival, while size doesn't.
God damn it! You got my eureka, man. This rephrasing got me. :oops: Though, better late than never :)
Thanks for discussion guys. Keeping the fight on,guys.

OA is D here

Re: In Yasukawa's month-long study of blackbirds   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2012, 05:55