Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 23:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Increase blood flow into head?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Increase blood flow into head? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 17:38
Usually, I am a person that thinks somewhat slow and I always think densely in high pressure situtations. Someone told me I should eat light food in order to increase blood flow to the brain and my mind will be racing with thoughts and solutions.

So I thought I should eat the right food in order to think strategically on the GMAT. But I am having doubts since I don't eat right all my life. Just meat and sugar food.

I want to hear from the previous GMAT takers if eating salmon fish, fruits, vegetables, and other brain food helped them think well and fast on the GMAT.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Increase blood flow into head? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 17:58
I'd have to say that eating well and being active/lifting/running consistently definitely played a part in my GMAT score. This is something a lot of people overlook because they are so focused on studying non-stop. Not eating correctly could possibly lead to a quicker burn-out when studying. My advice would be to start eating better and see if it helps.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Increase blood flow into head? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 19:37
perseverance wrote:
I'd have to say that eating well and being active/lifting/running consistently definitely played a part in my GMAT score. This is something a lot of people overlook because they are so focused on studying non-stop. Not eating correctly could possibly lead to a quicker burn-out when studying. My advice would be to start eating better and see if it helps.

Rightly said.I used to exercise and do yoga earlier regularly but stopped and focussing only on gmat these days.High time i start my practices again! :roll:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Increase blood flow into head? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 21:59
during my mock tests i used to eat the same food that i used during actual breaks..
going to gym helps me in relaxing my pressure

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amar
http://amarnaik.wordpress.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Increase blood flow into head? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 15:16
Eating lighter food doesn't really increase bloodflow to the head rather it decreases bloodflow to the stomach, which is where all of your blood rushes immediately after a meal to begin digestion. The more food eaten, the more stomach activity, which means the blood won't be available to your brain for studying!

I've started eating lighter before study and exams, and it helps. Also, sugary foods won't help you keep a steady flow of energy. Try to eat things that have slow releasing carbs like bananas so there are no high peaks and low troughs.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Increase blood flow into head? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 18:28
Hi highhopeful,
fruits and vegetables are good for over all health and not just for the mind, that's pretty much common sense, however different parts of the world have certain diets and we are brought up to eat more of one thing and less of other, and its hard to modify eating habits close to the test :( I went through something similar, trying to eat healthy for a healthier brain.
try eating nuts, almonds/walnuts etc.
don't forget to drink plenty of water, dehydration will impact brain function and can cause headaches.
and ofcourse exercise, light exercise yoga/walking can help immensely, I started out by just stretching before going to sleep and it turned into a full workout 4 times a week, and my verbal score improved too.
and its a good idea to avoid fatty/sugary food, takes longer to digest, and makes one sleepy.
All the best for healthy eating habit and a great gmat score :)
Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Increase blood flow into head? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 19:43
Since I am young, I am being serious in the pursuit of taking GMAT. Eating greasy food and heavy thick meat and junk food has a factor in making my body slow and my mind to process slowly. Don't need that if I need to remember strategies and foundations for the GMAT test.

Right now, I am drinking vegetable smoothies, eating apples and bananas, and salmon fish just to feel light. It is a painful adjustment like one York101 mentioned in changing diets, but I am sure it will be worth it in taking the test. Currently, my body is not dragging down.

Please give me other tips in which food will circulate my blood fast and get more positive nutrients for the brain and body.
Re: Increase blood flow into head?   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2010, 19:43