Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Increasing Reading Comprehension?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Increasing Reading Comprehension? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 20:35
I oddly enough studied so well that I got my Verbal score from the low 20's to 35, based on the last time I took the test.

My problem was RC because I was striving so hard on getting the answer right, I would re skim through the passages looking for the right answer. With continuous reading being the best way to increase your RC score, how much can you really read/study/work in a week? I feel EXTREMELY confident that I could increase my score to 39-40 if I could increase the amount of correct RC questions that are on the test.

Any suggestions??

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 198

Kudos [?]: 281 [2] , given: 5

Re: Increasing Reading Comprehension? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 05:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
WIth RC, it really is all about practice, but you have to do the right kind of practice. If you aren't super careful with timing, your RC problems can suck up all your time. You'll do great on RC questions, but your overall Verbal score will drop.

Do a few passages per day and be strict about timing for both the passages and questions. Spend 2-3 minutes reading short passages (less than 50 lines) and 3-4 minutes on long passages (over 50 lines). Spend about 1 minute per question. When you are reading the passages, I absolutely recommend you take notes to keep yourself focused as you read. In your notes, focus more on structure and overall intent than on specific details. Be sure to understand the topic sentences of each paragraph (the main sentence - usually the first) and understand the entire first paragraph on long passages. You know that you have been successful reading the passage (with note-taking) if you do the reading in the proper timeframe and you can answer all general questions without going back to the passage (general questions ask about the overall passage; i.e. The purpose of the passage is?) On specific questions, go back to the passage and re-read the section related to that question before you try to answer the questions.

If you want to spend more time reading, you can practice with several sources (like the economist) to increase your speed and comprehension. Here is a good post about other reading sources: the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html#p1219005

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Increasing Reading Comprehension?   [#permalink] 03 May 2013, 05:22