Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink]
IMO, H1B is an issue but the no-cosigner laon is a far bigger one in the app volume reduction.

I do not know ANY applicant who can manage the finances on his/her own and not applying to top US schools just because of H1b. But I know around 5 people who are Europe-bound because of finances
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
at least in the M7, the univ's are pretty good at finding ways for a loan w/o cosigner. at least they claim so.
and regarding H1, there are a lot of people who have got H1 already like me, who plan to move back to F1 - i don't know exact rules, but a current student mentioned you won't be counted against the quota twice.

moreover, schools in usa are more lenient to younger applicants than LBS/INSEAD/Judge. FWIW, i've seen great number of indians at info sessions/school visits wherever i went.

i wonder what's the ratio between those who are applying from india and those who are already working in usa.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
sentiment wrote:
So why did I take your 50 seconds and make u read so much-- just to reiterate that with a 690, 4 yrs of work ex (at matriculation), around a 3.3 gpa (engg.) frm a decent Indian univ (not an IIT or REC) one can still be in the race for a good school.

I definitely hope I have a podium finish for my sake and for the others who think a 740 , IIT degree, 3.6 gpa is imperitive to make it to a good school.

Well... given your profile you do stand out of the crowd within your pool of indian co-applicants... and yes its b/c that pool is generally male-dominated IT geniuses, and no I am not a male chauvinist. That said, the point you make about still being possible to be in the race given all the grimness, is well taken.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
i had tried my luck at the reliance thingy, but i forgot to read the fine print where it said only those indians working/studying in india. oh well, it was definitely a good writing experience for me and a perfect start for the rest of my essays.

nice to know you were selected, never came across anyone who was selected till now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
sentiment wrote:
now that i am finally off my stupid self imposed restriction on posting i'd like to share my story so far with you guys..

I'm an Indian female from India (cldn't get "desier" than this right!!)

i started this entire process in 2007.. took the gmat and scored a 690. back then i was sure that I wanted to be at Ross but felt that I was not quite there.. i decided to wait for a yr..went in for a career transition from IT to Consulting to get a better perspective and experience in my career goals (social enterprise) and simultaneously pursued my passion in this field.

Come early 2008, i retook the gmat only to see 690 on the screen again.Needless to say coming from a demographic pool averaging at around 720-730 i was pretty distraught with my repeat performance but i still decided to go ahead with it.

I started out the application season with 4 schools but the more I researched, the more students I reached out to, and the clarity and conviction I formed regarding my post mba goals made eliminations very easy. Although I had started with all 4 applications (online form, recos in and essays nearly done) I decided to go in only with 2 of them - Johnson and Ross. MBA was imperitive, but the right school was even more imperitive hence I decided against casting a wide net and settling for something lesser.

During this period I got shortlisted for the Reliance Schol. at Stanford as well. This app. was just meant to be a practice for essay writing and the first draft of my resume but nonetheless I was ecstatic and pretty pumped up at just being shortlisted. I never really planned to submit the stanford app (sometimes I thought I was being realistic..sometimes it was utter laziness)

Coming onto Cornell and Ross...I'm sure I could not write better essays than the current ones. I had given ample thought to each essay, very specific career goals, a lot of details and a lot of iterations after multiple reviews. I also spent good time over the general application and made sure that I presented a complete picture.

The result - interview invites at both Ross and Johnson.

Johnson was a 90 minute conversation that I thoroughly enjoyed though in hindsight there were a few questions i could have answered better. Ross I thought was a disaster because I just could not connect with my interviewer.

So where am I today - I have a waitlist both at Ross and at Johnson.

I understand its a very competetive year and a not so good period for internationals but I also understand that if I work hard on some of my shortcomings I can definitely convert this wait list and that is precisely what I have started doing.

So why did I take your 50 seconds and make u read so much-- just to reiterate that with a 690, 4 yrs of work ex (at matriculation), around a 3.3 gpa (engg.) frm a decent Indian univ (not an IIT or REC) one can still be in the race for a good school.

I definitely hope I have a podium finish for my sake and for the others who think a 740 , IIT degree, 3.6 gpa is imperitive to make it to a good school.

Awesome!
This gives me hope. I am in the same boat. But, Male / 28 / Non REC-IIT. Here is my profile.
24-t74393
I am interested in Health Care Management, with specific industry (Dialysis Industry).
Anyway I have 7 more months to go. After giving two shots at GMAT (first 700, second 670),
I was seriously thinking about taking the test for the 3rd time.
Anyway, many thanks for sharing your experience. Please do comment on my profile.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You could retake gmat if you have the motivation. Typically, >80percentile on Q&A is what you should aim for. Manhattan GMAT prep guides are really good.
Study for 45 days and take it again. Don't push this too further out in the future. You would need the summer to work on essays.

Good luck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
sentiment wrote:
now that i am finally off my stupid self imposed restriction on posting i'd like to share my story so far with you guys..

I'm an Indian female from India (cldn't get "desier" than this right!!)

i started this entire process in 2007.. took the gmat and scored a 690. back then i was sure that I wanted to be at Ross but felt that I was not quite there.. i decided to wait for a yr..went in for a career transition from IT to Consulting to get a better perspective and experience in my career goals (social enterprise) and simultaneously pursued my passion in this field.

Come early 2008, i retook the gmat only to see 690 on the screen again.Needless to say coming from a demographic pool averaging at around 720-730 i was pretty distraught with my repeat performance but i still decided to go ahead with it.

I started out the application season with 4 schools but the more I researched, the more students I reached out to, and the clarity and conviction I formed regarding my post mba goals made eliminations very easy. Although I had started with all 4 applications (online form, recos in and essays nearly done) I decided to go in only with 2 of them - Johnson and Ross. MBA was imperitive, but the right school was even more imperitive hence I decided against casting a wide net and settling for something lesser.

During this period I got shortlisted for the Reliance Schol. at Stanford as well. This app. was just meant to be a practice for essay writing and the first draft of my resume but nonetheless I was ecstatic and pretty pumped up at just being shortlisted. I never really planned to submit the stanford app (sometimes I thought I was being realistic..sometimes it was utter laziness)

Coming onto Cornell and Ross...I'm sure I could not write better essays than the current ones. I had given ample thought to each essay, very specific career goals, a lot of details and a lot of iterations after multiple reviews. I also spent good time over the general application and made sure that I presented a complete picture.

The result - interview invites at both Ross and Johnson.

Johnson was a 90 minute conversation that I thoroughly enjoyed though in hindsight there were a few questions i could have answered better. Ross I thought was a disaster because I just could not connect with my interviewer.

So where am I today - I have a waitlist both at Ross and at Johnson.

I understand its a very competetive year and a not so good period for internationals but I also understand that if I work hard on some of my shortcomings I can definitely convert this wait list and that is precisely what I have started doing.

A very well written story, although I thought your profile is very competitive at the schools you applied to. A quick question, how did you transition from IT to Consulting? I plan to use MBA to achieve this transition, a step behind you :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
no updates in a while??
anyone got any I-invites/admits recently?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi All,

Since my MBA applications season has ended, I thought I'd share my experience here. I applied to 3 schools - Kellogg, Ross and Duke and have been admitted to both Ross and Duke. Colour blue seems to favour me this season :). I really didn't think I'd make it considering my GMAT was just about the average at these Schools - a 710.

I was an Indian female applicant with a background in marketing. Going by my experience, I feel there is a lot of truth in what adcoms say- that GMAT is not the only criteria. Your essays, Work Ex and ECs also play a huge role in making you a competitive cabdidate.

I believe your story has to be compelling. In marketing terms, the pitch has to be perfect. Its very important to tie in your past, present and future and show how an MBA fits and more importantly how that particular school fits into the picture. I made sure that every essay (as far as possible) reflected my passion for marketing and my strong inclination, by way of my short term and long term goals, to make my career in marketing.

I really didn't expect to get interview calls from all 3 schools that I applied to and it certainly feels good to have a choice between 2 great schools :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Persephone wrote:
Hi All,

Since my MBA applications season has ended, I thought I'd share my experience here. I applied to 3 schools - Kellogg, Ross and Duke and have been admitted to both Ross and Duke. Colour blue seems to favour me this season :). I really didn't think I'd make it considering my GMAT was just about the average at these Schools - a 710.

I was an Indian female applicant with a background in marketing. Going by my experience, I feel there is a lot of truth in what adcoms say- that GMAT is not the only criteria. Your essays, Work Ex and ECs also play a huge role in making you a competitive cabdidate.

I believe your story has to be compelling. In marketing terms, the pitch has to be perfect. Its very important to tie in your past, present and future and show how an MBA fits and more importantly how that particular school fits into the picture. I made sure that every essay (as far as possible) reflected my passion for marketing and my strong inclination, by way of my short term and long term goals, to make my career in marketing.

I really didn't expect to get interview calls from all 3 schools that I applied to and it certainly feels good to have a choice between 2 great schools :)

Congrates on your double admit !! Which hue of the Blue are you going to favour :)

I am not sure why you thought that you wouldn't get interview calls, your profile was (is) indeed very competitive. BTW, did you ask for any feedback from Kellogg?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Persephone wrote:
Hi All,

Hey Congrats on the admits !!! And have a great time at Ross. It is an amazing school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abhyudaya wrote:

Congrates on your double admit !! Which hue of the Blue are you going to favour :)

I am not sure why you thought that you wouldn't get interview calls, your profile was (is) indeed very competitive. BTW, did you ask for any feedback from Kellogg?

Actually I'm battling that choice currently. Both schools have pretty strong marketing departments and I'm finding it really tough to decide. But, as neither provides non-cosigner loans to international students, I'm delaying making that decision till one of them finds a solution. I hope they do anyway!

But are there any view points on which of these two schools is stronger in marketing?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Overall I would say Ross is the stronger school, but IMO Duke is better for mktg.

Duke actually has one of the best mktg programs in the US.

They are both great schools. Congrats on your accomplishment. Must be a great feeling!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
 Q50  V41
Send PM
An encouraging news on the loan front for International admits / applicants.

Here is a BW article published today
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/bl ... ation.html

Also, international admits at Duke have received an email from Associate Dean which says in no uncertain terms that Duke will be able to arrange loans for int'l admits.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Hey Guys,

First post here, so had to be on the Indian Page :)

I am a college senior. Am pasting my profile below. I am trying to get into Harvard, Yale or Wharton this year. I must stress that although I have applied with full fervor and meticulously worked through my essays and other aspects of the 'package', it's not a matter of urgency for me. This is because, as you all being Indians would know, I have taken my CAT and other entrance exams this year. I have interview calls from IIM - L, XLRI, IIFT, TISS, All the Symbi Colleges, XIMB, NMIMS etc. Waiting for results from FMS, MDI and SP Jain. I do not mean to flaunt, but being an Indian forum, this would give you an indication that despite being a college senior, I have options open back home as well. Also, I have been placed with a leading Business Research firm in Delhi, so that's an option as well. My GMAT didn't go too well as I just took it after a week's preparation owing to college exams (disadvantage of being in college :P) I have a 690 (6.0 on the AWA), which although has been told to me to be decent, doesn't seem so when I read other profiles here.

I have already applied to Wharton, Harvard and Yale in Round 2. Please comment on what you thing are my chances for an interview call. In case you want, we can talk on G talk or something, or I could email you my essays and resume considering the application process for most of us is anyways over and this is a review (which no college has a problem against) and not asking someone to write my essays :)

You all are highly experienced and thus in a good position to gauge. Also as I am a college student, you can guess the anxiety levels I have. Harvard's been my dream since I was in grade 4. And I don't know how many people can boast of such a dream coming true.

Also, many congrats to all those who have admits. Those waiting, best of luck. Those dinged, don't lose hope! After all, it is through such experiences we realize we are lacking somewhere in life despite us thinking we aren't. Come back, and come back strong!

Regards,
Ankit

Hi,

I am Ankit and am a college senior from India. I would like to inquire about my chances at HBS. I do not have any prior full time work experience. However, I have two internships with start up firms based out of India. They aren't big names but personal growth here has been very good. I am also the founder of my own web and graphic design firm and have hired people after interviewing them for contract based jobs.

Academically, I have 93% in grade 10, 86% in grade 12 (Maths Phys Chem option) and a current percentage of about 66% in Computer Science and Engineering from Panjab University which is highly regarded and well known as you would already be aware of. (It helps when the country's prime minister and one of the best economists is an alumni)

I have also been recognized as India's Youngest Microsoft Certified Professional (when I was 13). I have topped both my schools (changed after grade ten) in English. I have been sub editor of the school magazine, been house captain (in charge of 300 students), served on the executive board of my school's alumni association and taken active interest in social work by volunteering to organize blood donation camps, educating beggars and working with Help Age India.

In college, I have been an active member of the largest student organization on campus and managed funds for a year for the same. I was also the chief strategist for the organization and was instrumental in helping the organization win elections after 4 years of consecutive defeats. I was also selected by a globally renowned consulting firm during recently concluded placements and was in the 2% students selected out of 350. I have also been a member of the international students’ organization, AIESEC.

I have a 690 on my GMAT. I would like your opinion on my chances for admission to Harvard Business School, Wharton and Yale SOM. I have also applied for the MFE program at Said Business School, Oxford.

Thank you for your time and kind regards,
Ankit
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am a college senior. Am pasting my profile below. I am trying to get into Harvard, Yale or Wharton this year. I must stress that although I have applied with full fervor and meticulously worked through my essays and other aspects of the 'package', it's not a matter of urgency for me. This is because, as you all being Indians would know, I have taken my CAT and other entrance exams this year. I have interview calls from IIM - L, XLRI, IIFT, TISS, All the Symbi Colleges, XIMB, NMIMS etc. Waiting for results from FMS, MDI and SP Jain. I do not mean to flaunt, but being an Indian forum, this would give you an indication that despite being a college senior, I have options open back home as well. Also, I have been placed with a leading Business Research firm in Delhi, so that's an option as well. My GMAT didn't go too well as I just took it after a week's preparation owing to college exams (disadvantage of being in college :P) I have a 690 (6.0 on the AWA), which although has been told to me to be decent, doesn't seem so when I read other profiles here.

I have already applied to Wharton, Harvard and Yale in Round 2. Please comment on what you thing are my chances for an interview call. In case you want, we can talk on G talk or something, or I could email you my essays and resume considering the application process for most of us is anyways over and this is a review (which no college has a problem against) and not asking someone to write my essays :)

You all are highly experienced and thus in a good position to gauge. Also as I am a college student, you can guess the anxiety levels I have. Harvard's been my dream since I was in grade 4. And I don't know how many people can boast of such a dream coming true.

Also, many congrats to all those who have admits. Those waiting, best of luck. Those dinged, don't lose hope! After all, it is through such experiences we realize we are lacking somewhere in life despite us thinking we aren't. Come back, and come back strong!

Regards,
Ankit

Hi,

I am Ankit and am a college senior from India. I would like to inquire about my chances at HBS. I do not have any prior full time work experience. However, I have two internships with start up firms based out of India. They aren't big names but personal growth here has been very good. I am also the founder of my own web and graphic design firm and have hired people after interviewing them for contract based jobs.

Academically, I have 93% in grade 10, 86% in grade 12 (Maths Phys Chem option) and a current percentage of about 66% in Computer Science and Engineering from Panjab University which is highly regarded and well known as you would already be aware of. (It helps when the country's prime minister and one of the best economists is an alumni)

I have also been recognized as India's Youngest Microsoft Certified Professional (when I was 13). I have topped both my schools (changed after grade ten) in English. I have been sub editor of the school magazine, been house captain (in charge of 300 students), served on the executive board of my school's alumni association and taken active interest in social work by volunteering to organize blood donation camps, educating beggars and working with Help Age India.

In college, I have been an active member of the largest student organization on campus and managed funds for a year for the same. I was also the chief strategist for the organization and was instrumental in helping the organization win elections after 4 years of consecutive defeats. I was also selected by a globally renowned consulting firm during recently concluded placements and was in the 2% students selected out of 350. I have also been a member of the international students’ organization, AIESEC.

I have a 690 on my GMAT. I would like your opinion on my chances for admission to Harvard Business School, Wharton and Yale SOM. I have also applied for the MFE program at Said Business School, Oxford.

Ankit

WOOOAAAAH!!! some Real CRAZY stuff there dude... best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Hey Guys,

Regards,
Ankit

Hi,

Ankit

you definitely have a good shot at HBS, who loves young overachievers..
depends on how you positioned your essays and recommendations, i say you are in with a shout :)

good luck dude..
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8