Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 18:03
Are you from a class of 2011?

filmcity wrote:
Good job bumping!

I was an avid reader of Gmatclub and gmatclub helped me keep my sanity over ups and downs during and after the admit! So, some gratuitious homily. Please bear with me :)

Currently I am attending Tuck. During application., I had done decent research about schools, their likings/dislikings and fit ( esp from the perspective of an Indian applying from India).

I understand, fit is kind of ambiguous and especially so when you are located in a remote country and all you have are information from websites. But I planned to attend school with my family and hence fit was of paramount importance to me. I was fortunate enough to visit some campus before applying, which kind of helped me to zero in on schools where my family will be able to fit in. If you do not have some specific career goal, which can be met only in a certain school, I highly encourage you to give good thought on fit ( because in traditional MBA jobs all the good schools will give you more or less same opportunity, I believe).

If any of you have specific questions/ confusions on issues like how to manage/ relocate family as an applicant/student etc , I'd be happy to chip in with my thoughts.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 18:30
I am planning to apply for Ross. Still need to give my GMAT. I have few questions here. I am from Biotechnology background. I did my MSc Biotech in Andhra University - University Topper.(I was always a topper and have good grades through out my acads.) Later got a good opportunity in IT. I have 5 years experience as a Business analyst. Right now working in a Health Insurance company as a Financial Analyst in Risk Mgmt team. I have done some volunteer work in college and have been raising funds for Old people and orphan kids. Can volunteering in a local Indian temple be counted?

What are my chances for Ross?
How much GMAT is needed?
Will my diversity (Masters in Biotech and career in IT)be a jeopardy?

Thanks,
Vannu.

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 22:06
just curious about this -

could you rank the following schools on general brand perception currently in india?

ross
darden
fuqua
johnson
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2132

Kudos [?]: 7253 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 22:29
Expert's post
Since we now have an Applicant-Country Specific forum, I am moving this thread there.

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 22:46
Fuqua and Ross have a good brand name here. Lot of alum presence too.
Not sure about the other two.

niraja wrote:

could you rank the following schools on general brand perception currently in india?

ross
darden
fuqua
johnson

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 00:05
hey,
i am 22.5 yrs old ....i have CA degree and i am final year candidate of CFA(US) ....i want to those this 2 degree qualifies for accademic supremacy required by b school for young aspirants ....i have 3yrs experience in tax,audit and accounts feild by way of articleship ...i will consider my articleship as full time since i use to work nearly 70-80 hrs a week ...my right in this assumption ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 03:34
Can you take the time to proof read your post. :!:
I will try to answer after that.

ankit1456 wrote:
hey,
i am 22.5 yrs old ....i have CA degree and i am final year candidate of CFA(US) ....i want to those this 2 degree qualifies for accademic supremacy required by b school for young aspirants ....i have 3yrs experience in tax,audit and accounts feild by way of articleship ...i will consider my articleship as full time since i use to work nearly 70-80 hrs a week ...my right in this assumption ?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 09:25
yes

snipertrader wrote:
Are you from a class of 2011?

filmcity wrote:
Good job bumping!

I was an avid reader of Gmatclub and gmatclub helped me keep my sanity over ups and downs during and after the admit! So, some gratuitious homily. Please bear with me :)

Currently I am attending Tuck. During application., I had done decent research about schools, their likings/dislikings and fit ( esp from the perspective of an Indian applying from India).

I understand, fit is kind of ambiguous and especially so when you are located in a remote country and all you have are information from websites. But I planned to attend school with my family and hence fit was of paramount importance to me. I was fortunate enough to visit some campus before applying, which kind of helped me to zero in on schools where my family will be able to fit in. If you do not have some specific career goal, which can be met only in a certain school, I highly encourage you to give good thought on fit ( because in traditional MBA jobs all the good schools will give you more or less same opportunity, I believe).

If any of you have specific questions/ confusions on issues like how to manage/ relocate family as an applicant/student etc , I'd be happy to chip in with my thoughts.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 09:43
snipertrader wrote:
Fuqua and Ross have a good brand name here. Lot of alum presence too.
Not sure about the other two.

niraja wrote:

ross
darden
fuqua
johnson

anyone else? why do desis do duke vs. cornell when cornell is engineer-friendly?

full-disclosure - i'm not an engineer and not applying from india.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 18:45
filmcity

I hate to sound like a broken record...but here i go -

can you share your thoughts on placements/internships for desi's. Also, what has TUCK done to address the concerns of international i.e H1b saga.

Intern
Intern

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 20:00
ankit1456 wrote:
hey,

i am 22.5 yrs old ...i have CA degree and i am also in final year of CFA (us) .....i want to know whether this 2 degree will qualify for acadmeic supremacy required by b schools for young aspirants ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 20:09
First, i am not sure if academic supremacy is the right way of putting it.

I will try to answer in brief.

1. Some schools tend to accept 12 + 3 + CA = 12+4
You will have to goto the individual schools and dig out the info. But the top tier schools do accept it as 12+4 , if those are the schools you are looking at.
2. CFA - This has nothing to do with 12+4. At best, it will be a good value add in your essays.
3. CA Articleship - Not considered as workex in most schools but again it is school specific.

Hope this helps.

ankit1456 wrote:
ankit1456 wrote:
hey,

i am 22.5 yrs old ...i have CA degree and i am also in final year of CFA (us) .....i want to know whether this 2 degree will qualify for acadmeic supremacy required by b schools for young aspirants ?

Intern
Intern

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 01:55
By CA i mean how they value CA (charatered accountancy) degree .....will it somehow enhance or distinguish me with other candidates ?
i am asking this questions bcoz i lack full time experience but school say that if candidate have good academic qualification ..they may consider the candidate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 02:01
I know what CA is, thanks. If, you are one, pls get your spelling of CA right.

Are you a ranker by any chance? That will help. Also, a good GMAT score is needed to show your academic proficiency.

ankit1456 wrote:
By CA i mean how they value CA (charatered accountancy) degree .....will it somehow enhance or distinguish me with other candidates ?
i am asking this questions bcoz i lack full time experience but school say that if candidate have good academic qualification ..they may consider the candidate

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

school suggestions [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 02:26
hi...

iam a desi...with the following profile...670(q-47, v35)...IT experience 2yrs>>few leadrship roles in this. , BE froma gud university wit 61% and gud EC's...also i have 1 yr of experience in my own magazine business....

intersts >>finance, sports>>is my long term goal, the indusrty is boomin now.

schoool suggestions>>urgently needed...:(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 23:28
I thought desi = Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi?

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 46

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 08:26
filmcity wrote:
Good job bumping!

Hi

My college has a grade point average system and i got CGPA of 7.93 ( top 25 in class) , how do i convert it to US scale. I am applying only to European universities, does this applicable to them as well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 21:23
Schools applied:ISB,INSEAD,LBS,Harvard,Wharton
Results: ISB (admit), INSEAD(ding), LBS,Harvard,Wharton(In proccess)
Brief profile: 28, BE/PGDRM (Non IIT but reputed univ,IRMA), 4.5 years in Retail Banking,730,
Normal ECs

Need some help with my essays.....Would be great if someone could give me idea on what is expected
Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 07:05
shiv2012 wrote:
Schools applied:ISB,INSEAD,LBS,Harvard,Wharton
Results: ISB (admit), INSEAD(ding), LBS,Harvard,Wharton(In proccess)
Brief profile: 28, BE/PGDRM (Non IIT but reputed univ,IRMA), 4.5 years in Retail Banking,730,
Normal ECs

Need some help with my essays.....Would be great if someone could give me idea on what is expected

Profile looks good enough for LBS/Wharton. bit of a reach @ Harvard. That being said, no one can predict the execution quality of your application. If you have an ISB admit, I dont think following the similar approach to essays would yield bad results for you. Go for it. Harvard/ wharton dont admit demi gods. They admit humans with extra ordinary execution of their applications.
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here!   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2011, 07:05