Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INDIAN BANKER - REQUEST A PROFILE EVALUATION

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

INDIAN BANKER - REQUEST A PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 00:29
Hiya,

Thank you for taking the time out to review my profile. Let me give you a brief on my resume so that you can have a better understanding of the same:

a) Work Experience: Currently working for an Indian investment bank as a PE/M&A analyst. I am planning to apply for 2013 batch and hoping to work till early 2013. I would have gained ~3 years of work experience (front end investment banking) which I think should prepare me to apply to a business school. I have worked on various deals, some of them have been the biggest in their sectors in India and also been part of the bank's business development exercise. Was solely responsible for originating a see side mandate for an Indian sugar company ($20 mn)

b) International Exposure: Apart from my one year stint in the UK during my masters (A top British Uni), I don’t really have any international exposure. Having said that, I do work with a lot of mid-market and boutique investments banks in US and UK which might count as “international exposure”.

c) GMAT: I have a GMAT score of 710

d) Social Involvement: I have worked with C.O.R.P for one year teaching English in a municipal school in Mumbai and a six month internship with a microfinance firm as a principal manager for new initiatives and business develoment covering rural areas and villages in the state of Rajasthan, India. Helped setup special help groups and also led firms communications with international peers and VC funds

e) Investment banking background: Mid-market investment banks in India give a better profile and exposure to its analysts as compared to their peers in the US and Europe. I have worked on live deals and also been a part of the business development exercise of the bank which is rare in global banks or US banks where analysts have a limited role.

f) Education: BA (Economics) Top of the class and university topper at Mumbai University, one of the oldest and prestigious arts and science college in India. Masters in Finance and Economics from a top British b-school.

g) Schools short listed: - Wharton Business School

- Yale SOM

- MIT Sloan

- Chicago Booth

- Kellogg

- Tepper School

- Columbia

- Duke

- Darden Virginia

I am still confused about schools in the UK (LBS, Judge and Oxford) and how much work experience they require since the average age in those schools is way higher than their American peers.

Please do let me know if my choice of schools is apt for my resume. Your thoughts will be deeply appreciated. Thank you again for all your help and support.

Hoping to hear soon from you.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: INDIAN BANKER - REQUEST A PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 09:55
Expert's post
Hello sarveshmehta, thanks for your question.

First, your 710 would not move the needle as much as it would otherwise, given that you come from an overrepresented demographic in the MBA applicant pool. Did you clear 80% on both the verbal and quant sides?

You’ve got strong experience that a lot of applicants would like to acquire post-MBA, so the question that you will have to answer for admissions committees is why do you want to go to business school? In terms of your post-MBA goals, paint a picture that cohesively ties together your past, present, and future. Demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA. Identify the specific gaps that stand between you and your short- and long-term goals (knowledge, skills, experiences, network, etc.) and show how business school would directly address those gaps.

I think your competitiveness will come down to how well you can demonstrate your leadership ability and aptitude through your stories both in and out of work. You will be competing against a hugely talented applicant peer pool with impeccable GPAs and 750+ GMAT scores. Your experience will be what differentiates you. Some of the higher ranked schools you list could be reaches, but could be worth taking a shot at – depending on your risk tolerance, of course.

UK schools do tend to accept more experienced candidates. Check each school’s website about its requirements for this

Best of luck,
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Manager
Manager

Re: INDIAN BANKER - REQUEST A PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 10:08
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your reply and awesome analysis of my resume.

I realise that some schools can be reach for me. From the list i provided (and some schools not present there) which schools do you think i should stress on and have good chances at.

Thank you again for your support and guidance. Cheers
Manager
Manager

Re: INDIAN BANKER - REQUEST A PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 10:11
Hi Brian,

Your views on the schools that i should stress on and are doable for me, will be really appreciated. There are so many good programs in the top 15. Hope to hear soon from you. Cheers and thanks again
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: INDIAN BANKER - REQUEST A PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 09:00
Expert's post
Hello sarveshmehta, thanks for your followup.

In targeting suitable schools, a good place to start would be to compile a list of programs that have a mean or median GMAT score close to yours. You should be competitive here. My rule of thumb is that if your GMAT score falls within the middle 80% range at a school, you have a shot. Otherwise, it could be an uphill battle.

I tend to avoid telling candidates where to apply simply because it’s an intensely personal choice that you should make.

You will know best which program has:
• Resources that best meets your career needs
• A culture that resonates with your personal style
• Students whom you respect, can relate to, and have fun with!

I encourage all applicants to pound the pavement and talk to students and alumni from your target programs to find the best fit. It’s not easy, I know, but the effort will be worth it in the end, I assure you.

Best of luck,
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php