Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INDIAN+IT+7Y EXP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

INDIAN+IT+7Y EXP [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 04:04
Hello All,

I have heard that Asian+IT profiles gets easily rejected by most top MBA schools even though you have a good score (700+), in such case do we have any way to get into the top schools or we had done a big mistake in past which we would have to pay till our career?

Pls advise ..

Thanks
Lucky
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 1

Re: INDIAN+IT+7Y EXP [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 16:31
Expert's post
What you are asking is a pretty broad topic. Still, I would try to explain why an Asian IT professional with 700+ GMAT score can get rejected by top B-Schools.

First , 700+ GMAT Score is part of your application package , the other parts being your GPA, application essays, work- experience and recommendation letters. Secondly, B-schools are not only looking for analytical skills in their potential MBA students, but also for leadership and team working skills , problem- solving skills ,initiative and involvement in non-work activities which are essential to their success in business and management. The reason they require applicants to write application essays for them is because they want to evaluate them on these skills.

While working with IT professionals on their application essays , I have observed that applicants with remarkable professional accomplishments shy away from sharing those accomplishment stories in their essays. Thus, one major reason why IT professionals with 700 + GMAT score can be rejected by the top B-schools is their inability to showcase their profile in their admission essays which play a critical role in the admission process. In fact, I find it hard to believe when some applicants with excellent profiles ask me ,"Do you think my profile is good enough for top-tier B-schools?" And they can't believe me when I tell them, "It is excellent. You only need to reflect on your experiences/ examples to illustrate your high potential." My experience shows that some IT professionals need to work in this area, and instead of writing essays that read like newspaper articles or extended resumes , they should directly answer the question prompt by illustrating it with stories/ examples from their personal and professional life.

In addition, they should make sure that their recommendation letters echo the same theme that runs through their essays. It is going to be a killer if your recommender says different things about you than what you are claiming in your essays.

I hope it helped.

Poonam

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 656 [0], given: 6

Re: INDIAN+IT+7Y EXP [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 17:01
Expert's post
This is an issue of supply and demand.

The demand from people of Asian/IT descent is very high. Meanwhile, the supply is limited as each business school allocates a certain percentage for each demographic as part of their "diversity" plans.

As a result, the competitiveness is high and in some ways you need a high GMAT score just to remain competitive. Of course, so many other factors play into admissions including family background, career advancement, and potential to make a good name for the school upon graduation.

But yes, it is true (and in a way unfair) for the bar to be set higher for Asian/IT individuals - particularly male. Such is life. The most you can do about it is to run right through this wall. Or take your career in a different direction.

If you do pursue the MBA route, we are here to help.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: INDIAN+IT+7Y EXP [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 12:44
A lot of Indian IT males get in Top 20 B School's every year. The rule is simple - if you want to be better than the rest than you need to put more effort than the rest.

Successful people never did something that was considered possible, they did something that was considered impossible by others.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: INDIAN+IT+7Y EXP   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2012, 12:44