Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Indian Male 680 , IT Project Management - Evaluate ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Indian Male 680 , IT Project Management - Evaluate ? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 09:01
Hi

I want to do my mba in general management and my profile is :

Indian Male 680 score in gmat .
Work : IT Project Analyst in Project Management Office team . I am a PMI PMP Certified professional . Earlier worked as an IT Sr. System Analyst .
College : Engineering in Electronics & Communication , 61 % , average college in India .
Extra Curricular : Student Coordinator of College Fest . won a few competitions in college (quizzes etc) .

Please let me know my chances for the below colleges and do add any other college you think i should apply to :
Kellogg , Haas , Duke , Tepper , Rotman .

Also should I reappear for Gmat and risk my essays or apply with the score of 680?

Thanks
Kshitij
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 22

Re: Indian Male 680 , IT Project Management - Evaluate ? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 11:52
Hey Kshitij -

It's always tough to give people a fair shake when all we have are some limited data about them on a discussion forum so please don't take this as a final answer, but you may be facing some challenges based on the info you shared and your target schools. As you probably know, you're coming from an oversubscribed candidate pool; there's just a lot of others "like you" applying, with similar backgrounds and stats. Your GMAT score is unfortunately a little low for any of the top schools like Kellogg et al. The average GMAT for Indian candidates who make it into the top programs is around 720. Anything under 700 makes things harder. Your undergraduate record also looks a little weak - though it's hard to say since we don't know the school, and there are different standards at different Indian colleges. These two factors combined mean that the rest of your profile would need to be amazing - which maybe it is!! We obviously don't know you enough to say. The PMP is nice to have, and hopefully you've got some good leadership and teamwork stories as part of your project management experience; those angles do differentiate you somewhat from someone who's "just" an IT engineer.

Since we're so early in the admissions season, we would encourage you to try the GMAT once again if you're serious about a Top 10 school. A school like Rotman may be OK with the existing score if you do a great job on the essays. It all depends on the whole package. Other schools like maybe Kelley or Emory could also be interested - it depends on how you pitch them, and of course it really depends on what you want to do with the MBA. There's lots of variables involved and a strategy needs to be developed carefully.

A higher GMAT score won't guarantee anything but you're below the mean at the moment, so it presents an obstacle for you. You'll also want to go for a Round 1 app to those more competitive schools, which means you have a lot to work on this summer! Give it some thought and let us know if you have questions that we can help with.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Indian Male 680 , IT Project Management - Evaluate ? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 14:52
Hi Kshitij,

As you have an avg. GMAT score and CGPA, I would suggest you to focus on application essays and work hard on interviews. An avg. profile can certainly be offset by submitting strong application essays. Having said that, I would also suggest you to have clarity on post-MBA goals and give strong reasons on how an MBA will help you to achieve your dreams. You may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/Bschool-selection.htm

If you have any doubts, kindly clarified by attending a webinar conducted by top b-school alumnus. To get more details and register your name, clickhttp://www.apphelp.co.in/apphelp-alumni-sessions.php

Regards
Erina

kshitijsharma1986 wrote:
Hi

Work : IT Project Analyst in Project Management Office team . I am a PMI PMP Certified professional . Earlier worked as an IT Sr. System Analyst .
College : Engineering in Electronics & Communication , 61 % , average college in India .
Extra Curricular : Student Coordinator of College Fest . won a few competitions in college (quizzes etc) .

Please let me know my chances for the below colleges and do add any other college you think i should apply to :

Also should I reappear for Gmat and risk my essays or apply with the score of 680?

Thanks
Kshitij

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Indian Male 680 , IT Project Management - Evaluate ? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 23:23
Expert's post
kshitijsharma1986 wrote:
Hi

Thanks
Kshitij

Hey there Kshitij,

I don't want to be a wet towel dude, but I do want to be straight up with you... As an Indian IT applicant with so-so grades from an average college and with a 680, Top 10 schools are probably out of range for you, and I would suggest readjusting your school list to something a bit more reasonable (schools ranked 20-50 are probably in your sweet spot).

Hope this helps,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Indian Male 680 , IT Project Management - Evaluate ?   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2013, 23:23