Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Indian Male, 8 yrs experience, IT and Analytics Consulting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Indian Male, 8 yrs experience, IT and Analytics Consulting [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 04:29
Hi,

I am an Indian Male. Please evaluate my profile.

work ex: 8+
gpa : bad or at max average
engineer from a reputed college in India.

5 yrs work ex in companies like Infy and RBS 2005-2010
3 yrs work ex in analytics consulting start ups in India. ( 2010-2013) - mix of IT and analytics , a rarity in India.

client facing roles in the past.

Very good knowledge of Insurance and Telecom domain( of course through my job in last 3 yrs ).
Leading a team of analysts.

aim: ISB, xlri gmp.

Do I need to take gmat again for this ? Please evaluate my chances.

also, what kind of recommendation would do ? would the head of company I have worked for be good enough ?

How to ask the boss if he'd give a good reco or not ?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 6

Re: Indian Male, 8 yrs experience, IT and Analytics Consulting [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 08:09
Hi,

You have decent and diverse profile with good amount of work experience. You should plan to apply not later than this year and with good leadership and team handling skills and diverse profile you can make it to good top b-schools. Kindly mention about your GMAT score which will help me to evaluate your profile. You should ideally take recommendation from an individual who has seen your work and achievements, your work should have directly impacted your recommender's achievements at work place. Only such person can write good recommendation for you.

You can try your chances for top b-schools by visiting here http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Regards,
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern

Re: Indian Male, 8 yrs experience, IT and Analytics Consulting [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 08:45
Hi Neha,

Sorry.forgot to mention the gmat score.

670 ( 49q, 31v) :(
Intern
Intern

Re: Indian Male, 8 yrs experience, IT and Analytics Consulting [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 10:10
and btw ??
1) do we necessarily need 2 recommendations or only 1 would do ?
2) would one of it be necessarily from acads or both can be from work place ?
3) can I take 2 recos from 1 org only ? or both have to belong to different organization ?
Director
Director

Re: Indian Male, 8 yrs experience, IT and Analytics Consulting [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 07:28
Hi,

670 is decent score with 8+ years of work experience so I would surely encourage you to apply to ISB and XLRI. You can also consider applying to Greatlakes, SP Jain,and you can also consider IIM's.

Regarding recommendations I would suggest you to follow whatever b-school asks you if they mention they need 2 recommendations then you should submit 2 recommendations otherwise b-school will consider your application as incomplete.

I would suggest you to take recommendation from work place, as you were involved in client facing role even recommendation from client who knows you very well would do. I am not in favour of getting recommendation from acads, as you last visited your college 8 years back and many things have changed since then so how will your principal/teacher know what you are at present??

You can take recommendation from 2 different organizations it should be in sync with your application essays.

Let me know if you have any questions...you can also PM your details for discussion.

Regards,
Neha Singh

biyania wrote:
and btw ??
1) do we necessarily need 2 recommendations or only 1 would do ?
2) would one of it be necessarily from acads or both can be from work place ?
3) can I take 2 recos from 1 org only ? or both have to belong to different organization ?

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh

Intern
Intern

Re: Indian Male, 8 yrs experience, IT and Analytics Consulting [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 08:37
Thanks Neha..while I would take gmat again for a higher score, I would anyway apply with this. Tell me onething. If I can manage 2 recos, both from client, then would that take higher importance vis a vis 2 recommendations 1 from work place and one from client ? I hope my question is clear.

Is 2 recos from client place > 2 recos ( 1 from office and 1 from client )..?? any idea ?

regarding mba programs of SP Jain and Glakes- I am avoiding both. GLakes had a bad placement this year and SPJ gives 2 much weightage to acads. Anyway I have notions against spjain in my mind. what is your opinion ?
Director
Director

Re: Indian Male, 8 yrs experience, IT and Analytics Consulting [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 07:14
Hi,

Thanks for the PM and reply. In my opinion one from client and one from work place would be sufficient. Regarding SP Jain, they haven't mentioned anywhere on school website that they evaluate applicants based only on academics so don't worry. You should shortlist minimum 5-6 bschools then only your chances of getting interview call would be higher.

Regards,
Neha Singh

biyania wrote:
Thanks Neha..while I would take gmat again for a higher score, I would anyway apply with this. Tell me onething. If I can manage 2 recos, both from client, then would that take higher importance vis a vis 2 recommendations 1 from work place and one from client ? I hope my question is clear.

Is 2 recos from client place > 2 recos ( 1 from office and 1 from client )..?? any idea ?

regarding mba programs of SP Jain and Glakes- I am avoiding both. GLakes had a bad placement this year and SPJ gives 2 much weightage to acads. Anyway I have notions against spjain in my mind. what is your opinion ?

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh

Re: Indian Male, 8 yrs experience, IT and Analytics Consulting   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2013, 07:14