Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Indian Sailor- GMAT 740 Plz suggest options

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE: Other (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Indian Sailor- GMAT 740 Plz suggest options [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 01:11
Hi

This is me

26 years old Indian Male Profession: Sailor GMAT: 740 Q50 V40 ; AWA 6.0 ; IR 8 GPA: 70% (First Class) in Nautical Science from the most reputed Indian Institute in Maritime Training

Extra Circulars:
Was the Editor of the Literary Magazine of college for all 3 years
Got the annual magazine of the college published which had not been published for the past 20 years
Member of the literary committee of the college which conducted literary and cultural events in college
Conducted the first ever Inter college literary cultural fest of my college.
Won several awards in events in own as well as other colleges in events such as debate, quiz etc

WE:
Employed in a Japanese Shipping Company since May 2009.
May 2009 to May 2011 - Trainee Navigational Officer
June 2011 to current - Third Officer
Currently serving at the rank of Third Officer who is the in charge of Navigation during his watch and the overall Safety and Life Saving In charge Have worked with Multinational crew and have supervised them effectively. Very good reports from superiors
I have been associated with a local school where I used to volunteer as a teacher in my vacations.
This vacation I volunteered at an NGO which provides education to underprivileged children. Have contributed a lot in developing a Maths curricular for the NGO I do not intend to apply this year to any school(I intend to go back to sea in a month and get promoted

I m in a quandary as to what I can do with an MBA. I want to utilize my past knowledge and experience in Shipping and use that in my post MBA career. I want to work on the shore side of large Shipping companies as a Manager. However I am at loss when I try to decide on an MBA related to shipping. Most good colleges have no separate stream such as a MBA in Shipping or anything similar.
If I go for a generic MBA I do not understand how i would convince the adcom I am ready for an MBA when I have difficulty convincing myself. Can you guys suggest me something. will I be a good fit for conventional MBA specializations such as Finance, Marketing etc or should I stick to an MBA related to Shipping??
Is logistics a logical choice for me(Since basically I have been transporting goods for a living until now) Please let me know if u need any further info

Thanx

Dipankar
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Indian Sailor- GMAT 740 Plz suggest options [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 14:23
Expert's post
Hey there,

The key here is to find the balance between specific and generic. If you look for a "shipping concentration", you're going to be in a tough spot. Not only will the number of schools you can apply to be severely limited, but the schools themselves may be hesitant to take someone on with such a specific goal. On the other hand, saying you want to go into general management may be so vague that it doesn't resonate. Therefore, you need to find the level above where you are currently. You can say you want to stay within the logistics industry, for example, but you'd have to then generalize your ambition within it. For example, I want to move into marketing for logistics companies (because you are really passionate about how things get where they're headed!). On the other hand, you could specify the type of work you want to do and go vague on your industry. E.g. logistics for...consumer products. Or pharma.

Do you see where I'm going with this? You need to make your previous experience resonate, but you can't pigeon hole yourself to a position where you can't find the right school or the right school doesn't want you.

Sometimes talking things through with someone can help and if you'd like to chat with me, don't hesitate to reach out. You've got an interesting profile with some things we can work with but finding the core component of your story will be a mixture of strategy and passion.

Hope to chat with you soon!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE: Other (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Re: Indian Sailor- GMAT 740 Plz suggest options [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 19:55
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hey there,

The key here is to find the balance between specific and generic. If you look for a "shipping concentration", you're going to be in a tough spot. Not only will the number of schools you can apply to be severely limited, but the schools themselves may be hesitant to take someone on with such a specific goal. On the other hand, saying you want to go into general management may be so vague that it doesn't resonate. Therefore, you need to find the level above where you are currently. You can say you want to stay within the logistics industry, for example, but you'd have to then generalize your ambition within it. For example, I want to move into marketing for logistics companies (because you are really passionate about how things get where they're headed!). On the other hand, you could specify the type of work you want to do and go vague on your industry. E.g. logistics for...consumer products. Or pharma.

Do you see where I'm going with this? You need to make your previous experience resonate, but you can't pigeon hole yourself to a position where you can't find the right school or the right school doesn't want you.

Sometimes talking things through with someone can help and if you'd like to chat with me, don't hesitate to reach out. You've got an interesting profile with some things we can work with but finding the core component of your story will be a mixture of strategy and passion.

Hope to chat with you soon!

Bhavik

Hi Bhavik

Thanx for the reply. I would love to get some xpert guidance on this.
How can I chat with you :?: (Pardon the ignorance)

Dipankar
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Indian Sailor- GMAT 740 Plz suggest options [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 03:59
Expert's post
Hey there - no need to apologize. You can click here to sign up for a consultation. The link is also in my signature.

I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Indian Sailor- GMAT 740 Plz suggest options   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2013, 03:59