I had my interview with ISB adcom yesterday. I just thought in case a brief about it could be helpful to others About Interview
My interview was scheduled at 2:00pm, I reached there at around 1:00 p.m. As soon as I reached the venue, I was given a paper to write a 200 words essay on "Reality TV" and sharp at 2:00, I was called for the interview.
The panel consisted of three members - current student, alumni (I guess) and ISB staff. The questions were usual -
1. Why MBA? Why Now? If not MBA then what?
2. About my analytical skills (from my essays)
3. About my leadership skills (I have mentioned this in my essays) with 2 instances when I have taken initiatives.
4. About one of my ECs from the essay.
5. What is my passion and what makes me angry
6. Where do I see myself 10 yrs from now
7. Any questions from the panel. I asked one, that was very very specific, including figures and facts about ISB. I just wanna show how much study I've done about ISB.My surprises
1. Interview was short and sweet - around 20-25 mins
2. No grilling and no stress interview. Guys in the panel where really nice.
3. No question about why ISB and no case studies.My suggestions
1. Be there atleast 1 hr prior to interview, so that you get sufficient time to settle and write your essay.
2. Be prepared for the question Why MBA? Why Now? The panel will try to ask things like one can gain the Management knowledge without MBA as well, e.g. by reading books or attending trainings. So what extra are you going to gain from MBA.
3. Try to relate real life examples with whatever you say in the interview. E.g. If they ask what are your strong/weak points? Be honest, give them couple of examples from your professional or personal life.
4. Be ready with explanation for each and everything from your essays and application.
5. Be honest. Don't say what you think AdCom would like to hear rather say what is true about yourself.
6. Remember, its only you who is going to drive the direction of interview. Its not AdCom. So while giving examples, try to highlight things which you want AdCom to ask you
Now I'm waiting for the results with my fingers crossed.
All the best to others who have their interviews scheduled in coming days.
ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?