Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 22:10
Many schools have listed that if u/g degree is from an univ where medium of teaching is English, TOEFL requirement is waived.

Can someone tell me if IITs in India is considered under this category? I am from IIT roorkee. Wondering whether to take TOEFL or not.
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 06:22
Depends on the school your applying, however, I assume IIT's are waived.

Schools like Kellogg, Stanford, Yale etc give TOEFL waivers, provided you list your reason in the essay. I know Kellogg asks you to provide the URL of the institute (for confirmation), its in their application form.

Where as UC Berkeley Haas, needs a TOEFL score from anybody graduating from India/Asian countries primarily, their cut-off is 68 on the iBT.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 06:29
As per my understanding, it's not univ specific; it is country specific. If you always studied in India, you have to take TOEFL.
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 06:54
Yale :

Is the TOEFL or IELTS required for all international applicants?
No, the TOEFL or IELTS exam is required for applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose degree-granting undergraduate and graduate institutions were not taught in English. Applicants who have a degree from an English-speaking institution do not need to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam and do not require a waiver of the exam.

Kellogg:

TOEFL
* I am exempt from the TOEFL exam because I completed an undergraduate degree from an institution where English was the only language of instruction.
For undergraduate institutions not in the USA, please indicate where language of instruction can be verified
(e.g. list website address or provide source or documentation.).
The Kellogg School of Management does not grant TOEFL waivers. If you are not exempt from the TOEFL exam for the reasons stated above, please report your score on each section of the exam. (NOTE: TOEFL scores are valid for up to 2 years from the application deadline to which you are applying. If you have taken the test more than once, please include your highest total for each testing format that applies. If you have not yet taken your TOEFL exam, please enter the scheduled test date.)
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 08:07
Jerseygirl2009 wrote:
As per my understanding, it's not univ specific; it is country specific. If you always studied in India, you have to take TOEFL.

TOEFL is required for anyone who went to school where English is not the language of instruction. This means it's school-specific, not country-specific.

For example, if someone went to American University in Beirut, the TOEFL wouldn't be required.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 18:49
From Stanford FAQs:
Are you required to take the TOEFL?

The following examples illustrate whether or not you are required to take the TOEFL:

* Xiaogu from China went to Beijing for his undergraduate degree. Since the language of instruction was Mandarin, he is required to take the TOEFL.
* Ning from China got her undergraduate degree in London and is not required to take the TOEFL because the language of instruction was English.
* James from the United Kingdom went to Germany for his undergraduate degree and is required to take the TOEFL (even though he is a native English speaker) because the language of instruction at the university was German.
* Suki from Japan received her undergraduate degree from a US college where the language of instruction was English and is therefore not required to take the TOEFL.
* Fayza from Pakistan who went to school in Islamabad where the language of instruction at her university was English is not required to take the TOEFL.
* Chin from China went to Shanghai for her undergraduate degree but then went to Sydney for a graduate degree. Chin is not required to take the TOEFL because the TOEFL requirement is waived for any applicant with an undergraduate or graduate degree from a university at which the primary language of instruction is English.

I think the major factor in this is that how will the college verify your TOEFL waiver. The iit website does not mention any where a language of instruction, atleast mine.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Haas, Johnson, Anderson, Tepper, Darden

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

Re: Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 20:20
Quote:
"I think the major factor in this is that how will the college verify your TOEFL waiver. The iit website does not mention any where a language of instruction, atleast mine."

IITs and NITs are well known to most of the AdComs and they would know from experience that the language of teaching at these schools is English. I don't think an explicit mention on the website is a must, at least for the well known colleges in India.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 09:04
:P

Last edited by skmartina on 05 Sep 2012, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Haas, Johnson, Anderson, Tepper, Darden

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

Re: Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 10:01
For such a specific question, you have to rely on School's website. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure that out I guess.
Re: Indian students - TOEFL requirements for IIT graduates   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2012, 10:01