Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Indiana Kelley

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Indiana Kelley [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2004, 17:20
Indiana offers the third Near Elite program in the state of Indiana along with Purdue and Notre Dame. Bloomington, Indiana is about one hour south of Indianapolis and four hours from Chicago.

Indiana Kelley is well regarded in many fields including general management and marketing.

Academic Calendar: Semester (Punctuated)

The first semester consists of prescribed coursework punctuated by special programs such as the academy week.
Electives begin in the second semester of the first year.
Students select a major in the second semester of the first year and focus on this major.
Students can also select a second major or a minor.

The major have required courses are well as selective courses (e.g. choose 4 of the following 8 classes). Many of the majors also have "tracks" within the major. For instance, the Management major includes tracks in strategic management, consulting, and international business.

The center of the distribution of the incoming class tends to be in the 3.30 and 650 range.

There is also an Accelerated Admissions Program for college seniors which offers admission on a deferred basis (students in this program are expected to work full time before entering the MBA program).

Employment stats

http://gcs.indiana.edu/gcs/employment_statistics/

Last edited by Hjort on 03 Feb 2005, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2004, 12:51
Even tho its a top 20 ranked school..surprisingly its GMAT average is 650.Any idea as to why it is so..?

How does Kelley fare with recruiters..sply for a MBA candidate with marketing major.

-Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2004, 22:01
what kind of MNC's and consulting firm recruit @ kelly?? when compared to purdue, how does kelly stand
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

High GMAT average does not mean Better Education [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 00:25
vivek_dj wrote:
Even tho its a top 20 ranked school..surprisingly its GMAT average is 650.Any idea as to why it is so..?

How does Kelley fare with recruiters..sply for a MBA candidate with marketing major.

-Vivek.

A 650 average GMAT is still quite high.. it is still 85+ percentile. Other things are taken into consideration... work experience and motivation. The Kelley MBA is supremely strong in Accounting, Finance and Marketing (according to BusinessWeek, WSJ). The marketing students are heavily recruited... again according to BW and WSJ. Plus Kelley has Academies and Tracks to further define your interests... for marketing it has the following academies: Consumer Marketing, Business Marketing, and Sports & Entertainment (which is basically marketing).

A possible thought is that it looks for creativity in applicants... for marketing... and you know the GMAT does test for that!

There are a lot of top companies recruiting there, but they are specially strong with the Midwest connections.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 06:19
as in the previous post, kelly is ranked 6-7 in accounting. they have a fine program - mba with accounting and also master of accounting. all the big 4 acc firms recruit there.
Intern
Intern

GMAT scores seem to be getting less important. [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 00:26
:wink: You see there is only one ranking list that over emphasizes the GMAT and that is U.S. News & World Report. There was a very interesting article that talked about this particular magazine.
I am including that link here:
http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v10n16/

Look the ranking that most people really wait for and really like is BusinessWeek. It is simple to read and explains what people really look at quality of education and quality of MBAs being produced. Indiana comes out awesome in teaching strength. Those are the factors one really needs to look at. U.S. News & World does their best to warn people that they need to look at other factor to make their personal decisions as to what is the best school for them. My personal opinion is that any of the 30 schools in the BusinessWeek ranking are absolutely awesome. Another personal opinion is that you should stay away from schools that have teaching grades of C or lower.

There are even some schools that are awesome in the next group of BusinessWeek rankings. A lot of those are repeated in the top 50 of the U.S. News & World Report.
If you are applying to any of these 50 top full-time MBA programs you are applying to the top programs in the world.

I myself am applying to 4 schools in the BusinessWeek ranking: Michigan, Indiana, Washington and Rochester. I applied to these schools because I have a very strong fit with them.

Besides any of the schools have pretty much starting salaries of about $100,000. But just because you attended Harvard or Wharton doesn't mean you'll get $150,000 automatically. Because these schools pretty much accept people that probably don't even need an MBA and just go throught the motions to join a network. That is why these people are somewhat dissatisfied... they are very demanding. Can you imagine Harvard and Wharton aren't even classified as either number one or number two in BW's ranking.

Most people that apply to both of those schools are turned away anyways... they learn a lesson and then applied to a school they find a fit with.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 09:36
I agree that the Near Elites are some of the best schools in the world in specific domains. However, higher cluster schools might have additional utility for students who are uncertain whether they are interested in marketing or finance or IT etc.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 19:45
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 16:20
Value Considerations

Tuition per annum:
In-state: 13k
Out of state: 26k

http://www.kelley.iu.edu/MBA/admissions/finaid.cfm
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 16:27
FT2003 ranked Indiana University #45 worldwide, just above Purdue and Washington University.

EIU2004 ranked Indiana #54 worldwide, just below Purdue and just above Vanderbilt.
Intern
Intern

Scholarships [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 18:52
Scholarship is given in two primary forms at Kelley.
1. Graduate Assistantship
2. Fellowship

GA is of two types - 1. 12 hours GA or 2. 5 hours GA.
Fellowship is of various varieties. There is Dean's fellowship (full tuition) or part fellowship. One need not put in any amount of hours for fellowship. Also, the admissions office informs the candidates whether they would be receiving any of the above.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 16:14
This post received
KUDOS
Kelley is highly regarded for teaching quality. As a starting first year here, I can tell you that the environment is very warm and the faculty is indeed very caring and concerned. Kelley does have relationships with certainly Consulting, IB, and IM companies as a result of alumni. In these companies (Delloite, PWC, AT Kearney Piper Jaffrey, BAC, Credit Suisse, etc), alumni are strong and will push for quality Kelley candidates. In marketing and corporate finance, many strong Fortune 500 are extremely eager to hire Kelley students.

CEO + CFO of Whirlpool are Kelley
CFO of FedEx
CEO of Nestle NA
Etc...

This post is by no means exhaustive, but I would be willing to talk to any students interested in Kelley.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2007, 22:00
I have a couple questions, I would be grateful if you could share from your experience on any of the following:

1. Do the consulting companies that hire Kelley graduates require them to move to the East Coast? Or do most of them have offices in the Mid-West / Indianapolis?

2. Do they have a strong recruiting presence on campus, compared to the elite & trans elite schools? Or are they just a handful? You mentioned ATK - what are some other consulting firms hiring?

3. How about the IB and IM firms? With the bulk of finance on the East Coast, I assume they fly potential hires out to NY for interviews/internships? Or do they generally hire for their Mid-West corporate offices (Chicago? Indianapolis?)

4. In your observation how have the international students adapted to life at Kelley? Do the American students actively reach out to them? Are they very active on campus (clubs/organizations/events) or do they keep a low profile?

5. What is your concentration and what companies are you targeting?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 06:51
How about their online MBA program? Is it worth it? Does anybody have any experience/comment regarding their online program?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Indiana Kelley [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 07:13
I applied to Kelley and received an invite to interview. Does anyone know how good of a sign that is? I understand if NYU interviews you, you are practically in, but for other schools it may not mean as much.

Thanks.

jfals
http://www.jaredmalan.com
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 2

Re: Indiana Kelley [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 08:25
Good piece of info. I will be applying to Kelley and this is helpful.
Re: Indiana Kelley   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2010, 08:25