Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 23:06
Hi Everyone,

Background:
I am studying for GMAT. Was searching for a user friendly software for Vocab Building, which user can modify according to the need. The closest I got was Crammer, must say a good one but did not get the facility to have word with sentence. So started developing one and here is the result of that :idea: 'IndiVocab' .
( This is 'e'specially useful for the people who always work on the computer, may be in office.)

Its a VB based thing with the data in Excel. The code is open , if someone wants he/she can modify it or just by changing the database in Excel file one can change the wordlist.

Features:

1. You can have GMAT wordlist, or high frequency word list.
2. You can choose Number of words per hour and the delay time. e.g 7 word/hr with 30 sec delay will result in scrolling of these 7 words with a delay of 30 sec in a loop and as the hour in your computer changes the next 7 word will scroll in loop.
3. Same way for idioms.
4. 1 hour test, so you can test the words you learned in last hour.
5. Same way 1 day test.
6. Transparency, this i guess is the best feature, when you are working on ur office PC. :twisted:

I struggled for such software, so thought of developing and sharing it with You guys.

This is in initial phase of development, so there could be few 'Bugs' and vast scope for improvement. Pls check it and let me know your experience.

( I have updated the file as pointed by kissthegmat. Thanks
In Genaral The issue is: If your macro setting is high, this VBA wont work, So make it low for this VBA to work)
Thanks
Haresh
Attachments

File comment: IndiVocab: Software.( Updated)
IndiVocab.zip [1.16 MiB]
Downloaded 90 times

To download please login or register as a user

File comment: IndiVocab: GUI, Main window and Working Strip.
IndiVocab--Main and Strip Window.JPG
IndiVocab--Main and Strip Window.JPG [ 52.38 KiB | Viewed 1250 times ]

Last edited by harryIITD on 27 Jul 2010, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 21:48
I downloaded this, but it is not working. Please check out again..

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 22:25
No ..i checked ..it works...

if you can see the notice in red saying your macro setting needs to be changed, then you have to change it..then it works..

Or describe here the problem you are facing... i will try to solve it.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 00:31
kissthegmat:

You were correct...the notice was missing from the uploaded file; I have corrected it and re-uploaded it.
You can download this one.

(The problem is with Macro settings you can lower it and then open it again. You should able to see the window as shown in the image, in original post.)

Thanks
Haresh
Retired Moderator

Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 01:44
Hi,

I'm not able to find TOOLS in MS 2007's excel file. :(
Can you please guide me how to go through all these steps, i.e. how to lower the macro setting in MS 2007 excel sheet?

i.e. how to go through these steps in MS 2007?
Go to---->tools----->macro---->security level---->low

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 02:13
hi,

You can change macro security settings in the Trust Center, unless a system administrator in your organization has changed the default settings to prevent you from changing the settings.

1. On the Developer tab, in the Code group, click Macro Security.

Tip If the Developer tab is not displayed, click the Microsoft Office Button Button image, click Excel Options, and then in the Popular category, under Top options for working with Excel, click Show Developer tab in the Ribbon.

2. In the Macro Settings category, under Macro Settings, click the option that you want.

( If you cant see developer tab in excel, then you will have to change it from main options, and make developer options visible, then follow the above settings.)

( This is from Microsoft site, Actually i dont have 2007 so could not check this.)

Hope this works. Let me know if you face any problems.

Thanks
Haresh
Retired Moderator

Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 08:24
Thank you for the detailed message but I'm sorry, I couldn't do all this explained by you as I'm not IT guy. :(

Anyhow, thanks again.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 21:49
Hi,

I have downloaded this file but it doesnt work. I have all the right macro settings but the excel does not show that it has any code in it. Could you please verify it once again.

-Neha.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 14:23
Hi,
PM me your mail id, i will mail you.

Regards
Haresh
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 14:26
Nasha83:

You can also check
http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/gmat-and- ... loped.html

Regards
Haresh
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA. [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 22:49
Hmm nice work hareshbhere
Re: IndiVocab: Free Vocab Software developed in Excel VBA.   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2010, 22:49