Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2011
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 11:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (01:43) correct 26% (00:50) wrong based on 54 sessions
Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
A. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country
B. killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
C. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, which has lead to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
D. had killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
E. has been killing 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaring of an emergency in the country


i chose E ...the action is still continuing ..it shuld be has been ....but its wrong .. y ..?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2011
Posts: 324
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: has or has been... [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 12:16
the meaning of the sentence requires present tense. B, D, E Out. In C "which" is referring "month". wrong. A stays.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2011
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: has or has been... [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 12:46
y present tense is required ..?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1464 [1] , given: 245

Re: has or has been... [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 22:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The use of a present tense verb here is not possible, because it is not one of the choices; present tense verb in this context is kills. Has killed is present perfect and has been killing present perfect progressive. Since ther is no simple present tense, the choice falls among present perfect, present perfect progressive, the simple past, and the past perfect.

The setting of the passage is in present tense, so there is no place for either a past tense or a past perfect verb in this case.
We cannot say that the volcano has been killing 191 people, since it erupted last month. This means that the volcano has been killing all the 191 people inch by inch from day one until date. This is an outlandish reasoning.
So the present perfect has killed is the appropriate tense. A and C are left. Between them, C has relative pronoun touch rule problem since, which seems to refer to last month, an illogical, and unfitting reference. A is the correct one.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2011
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: has or has been... [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 23:19
thanks daagh..it was a gud explanation ... :)
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 646
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 350 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: has or has been... [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 04:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
Sachin9 wrote:
daagh wrote:
The use of a present tense verb here is not possible, because it is not one of the choices; present tense verb in this context is kills. Has killed is present perfect and has been killing present perfect progressive. Since ther is no simple present tense, the choice falls among present perfect, present perfect progressive, the simple past, and the past perfect.

The setting of the passage is in present tense, so there is no place for either a past tense or a past perfect verb in this case.
We cannot say that the volcano has been killing 191 people, since it erupted last month. This means that the volcano has been killing all the 191 people inch by inch from day one until date. This is an outlandish reasoning.
So the present perfect has killed is the appropriate tense. A and C are left. Between them, C has relative pronoun touch rule problem since, which seems to refer to last month, an illogical, and unfitting reference. A is the correct one.



What is wrong with B mate?

"Since" indicates a continued action on the other hand "killed" indicates a past action. Hence b which uses a past action with since is incorrect. Present perfect has killed is the right combination here with since.
Hope it helps.
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 12:29
deepti1206 wrote:
Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
A. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country
B. killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
C. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, which has lead to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
D. had killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
E. has been killing 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaring of an emergency in the country


i chose E ...the action is still continuing ..it shuld be has been ....but its wrong .. y ..?



Most often Present perfect continuous is wrong.
Choose present perfect over perfect continuous.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 550
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 19:11
gmatverbalPrep wrote:
deepti1206 wrote:
Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
A. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country
B. killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
C. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, which has lead to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
D. had killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
E. has been killing 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaring of an emergency in the country


i chose E ...the action is still continuing ..it shuld be has been ....but its wrong .. y ..?



Most often Present perfect continuous is wrong.
Choose present perfect over perfect continuous.


Can't be generalized I believe. There may be traps set.
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2013, 19:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano Game 1 22 Jun 2014, 09:09
1 Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since getgyan 2 06 Oct 2012, 00:58
1 Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to gtr022001 8 18 Feb 2011, 18:24
The simple facts are these: the number of people killed each marcodonzelli 2 18 Feb 2008, 05:16
The simple facts are these: the number of people killed each batliwala 2 02 Nov 2004, 00:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.