Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Industrial accidents are more common when some of the people

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Industrial accidents are more common when some of the people [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 17:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

69% (01:48) correct 31% (01:20) wrong based on 7 sessions
Industrial accidents are more common when some of the people in safety-sensitive jobs have drinking problems than when none do. Since, even after treatment, people who have had drinking problems are somewhat more likely than other people to have drinking problems in the future, any employer trying to reduce the risk of accidents should bar anyone hwo has ever been treating for a drinking problem from holding a safety=sensitive job.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument above?

Some companies place employees who are being treated for drinking problems in residential programs and allow them several weeks of paid sick leave

Many accidents in the workplace are the result of errors by employees who do not hold safety-sensitive jobs.

Workers who would permanently lose their jos if they sought treatment for a drinking problem try instead to conceal their problem and continue working for as long as possible.

People who hld safety-sentive jobs are subject to stresses that can exacerbate any personal problems they may have, including drinking problems.

Some industrial accidents are caused by equipment failure rather than by emplyer error.

Please provide some details with your choice.

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 18:00
I choose D, cause the root cause of drinking is the safety sensitive jobs. and not the other way round. I'll wait for your response. Thanks

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 18:23
C

if people get fired by admitting that they have a problem and come to treatment, then they will not come to treatment or admit that they have a problem. Therefore you will have a bunch of people working with problems, and they create safety hazards.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 05:22
C for me too.

-----------------------------------------------------------
'It's not the ride, it's the rider'

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 12:09
My answer is C. From the argument, the conclusion of the author is "any employers who try to reduce accident should not put any treated employees in safety-sensitive job". We have to find the answer choice that destroy this conclusion. Only choice C does the job. If the employees hide their drinking problem, the accident will not be reduced.

What is the OA. :P
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 13:15
D

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 13:46
I think that it's important to see that the premise talks about 'Industrial accidents', while the conclusion talks about 'accidents'.

Since we want to weakern the argument, we need to look at the CONCLUSION only and see which answer choice talks about 'accidents'.

If many accidents are caused by errors rather than by alcohol, then the recommendation that employers bar anyone with a drinking problem is weakened.

Answer is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 15:06
Legend wrote:
I think that it's important to see that the premise talks about 'Industrial accidents', while the conclusion talks about 'accidents'.

Since we want to weakern the argument, we need to look at the CONCLUSION only and see which answer choice talks about 'accidents'.

If many accidents are caused by errors rather than by alcohol, then the recommendation that employers bar anyone with a drinking problem is weakened.

Answer is B.

Hmm, I still disagree. The stimulus mentions that the Industrial accidents are "more" common. Choice B may be true but it may be just another premise. Imo, the accidents tend to rise when the employees in safety-sensitive job have drinking problem. If these employees keep this fact secret, employers will never know and the accidents trend will remain the same.

I am still new in CR. Somebody helps!!!! What is the OA? :roll:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 15:35
I think D undermines the argument since it provides other cause to industrial accidents, the stress from the job, not the drinking problem.

haveaniceday

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 21:00
Good CR...

Was swinging between B, C and D...

I would go with D since it shows that drinking is not the problem and employers cannot reduce the accidents by firing those with drinking history...accidents wont reduce as stress is the real culprit...

Whats the OA on hairsplitter..... :-D
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 21:24

Some companies place employees who are being treated for drinking problems in residential programs and allow them several weeks of paid sick leave
No connection with the question stem - Drop it

Many accidents in the workplace are the result of errors by employees who do not hold safety-sensitive jobs.
"many" does not give enough information. and i think it goes against the premise of the question - drop it

Workers who would permanently lose their jos if they sought treatment for a drinking problem try instead to conceal their problem and continue working for as long as possible.
If there is no record of any treatment of drinking problem, the employer wont bar workers from working in safety-sensetive jobs and still have the risk of accidents - keep it

People who hld safety-sentive jobs are subject to stresses that can exacerbate any personal problems they may have, including drinking problems.
This is a tricky / trap options. It says that stress can increase the risk of drinking problem (which employee already had). please see the word "exacerbate". it doesnt say that due to stress employee will start drinking. So in my opinion this option actually supports the conclusion. It gives another reason to emplyer not to put peeple with prior drinking problems on this job. Drop it

Some industrial accidents are caused by equipment failure rather than by emplyer error.
"some" doesnt give enough information - Drop it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 22:02
alimad wrote:
Industrial accidents are more common when some of the people in safety-sensitive jobs have drinking problems than when none do. Since, even after treatment, people who have had drinking problems are somewhat more likely than other people to have drinking problems in the future, any employer trying to reduce the risk of accidents should bar anyone hwo has ever been treating for a drinking problem from holding a safety=sensitive job.

Please provide some details with your choice.

according to the stimulus, accidents are more common when some of the people in safety-sensitive jobs have drinking problems than when none do. This is the premise that you can't deny.

so, D can't be right. We need to find an answer within the realms of drinking problem. C does exactly that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 22:07
IMO C should be the answer on this one

i tried negating C and the argument would not hold

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 23:11
Guys, i know that im sounding odd man out, but whts wrong with E? here the responsibility of accidents has been put on machine rather than human error. y cant we take E as the correct one. Pls explain. thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 23:24
ritula wrote:
Guys, i know that im sounding odd man out, but whts wrong with E? here the responsibility of accidents has been put on machine rather than human error. y cant we take E as the correct one. Pls explain. thanks

It's the "some industrial accidents" that makes the conclusion hazy.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 02:23
Thanks Sanjay, so now i vote for C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 02:43
Option D. What is the OA?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 12:54
Its definitely C. Cause and effect.

If you read carefully the conclusion is "any employer trying to reduce the risk of accidents should bar anyone who has ever been treating for a drinking problem from holding a safety sensitive job"

BEEN TREATED is the key.

C says : Workers who would permanently lose their jobs if they sought treatment for a drinking problem try instead to conceal their problem and continue working for as long as possible. <-- this means that if they found a new job, they would have never been treated, hence their new employers will be deceived into hiring them since these employers screen people based on the fact that they have had treatment. Hence this undermines the argument.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 14:25
OA Please
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Industrial accidents [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 03:56
OA is C.

I was confused b/w B and C, but thought for 1 min to try to sync it with argument and finally B won.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Re: CR - Industrial accidents   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2010, 03:56