Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Industrialists argue that because there is no evidence that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Industrialists argue that because there is no evidence that [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 01:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (02:05) correct 28% (01:14) wrong based on 109 sessions
Industrialists argue that because there is no evidence that links high voltage electric wire with cancer among children, legislation banning high voltage transmission lines near school districts cannot be implemented on health hazard grounds.

Of the following, which is the best criticism of the argument reported above?

A) It ignores causes of cancer other than high voltage transmission lines.
B) It neglects the damaging effects that high voltage transmission lines might have on groups of people other than children.
C) High voltage transmission lines interfere with other radio devices such as antennas, satellites and cellphones.
D) Most children would prefer to live in areas that are away from high voltage transmission lines.
E) Legislation banning high voltage transmission lines around school districts is easy to enforce.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Industrialists argue that because there is no evidence [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 02:04
Argument : Industrialists say that high voltage transmission lines ban on the basis of health hazards should not be done.

A) It ignores causes of cancer other than high voltage transmission lines. - causes of cancer is not the argument.
B) It neglects the damaging effects that high voltage transmission lines might have on groups of people other than children. Criticizes the argument. Correct.
C) High voltage transmission lines interfere with other radio devices such as antennas, satellites and cellphones. radio devices doesnt impact the argument.
D) Most children would prefer to live in areas that are away from high voltage transmission lines. This doesnt criticise the argument.
E) Legislation banning high voltage transmission lines around school districts is easy to enforce. Doesnt correlate with the argument.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Industrialists argue that because there is no evidence [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 07:19
ananthpatri wrote:
Industrialists argue that because there is no evidence that links high voltage electric wire with cancer among children, legislation banning high voltage transmission lines near school districts cannot be implemented on health hazard grounds.

Of the following, which is the best criticism of the argument reported above?

A) It ignores causes of cancer other than high voltage transmission lines.
B) It neglects the damaging effects that high voltage transmission lines might have on groups of people other than children.
C) High voltage transmission lines interfere with other radio devices such as antennas, satellites and cellphones.
D) Most children would prefer to live in areas that are away from high voltage transmission lines.
E) Legislation banning high voltage transmission lines around school districts is easy to enforce.

Choice B is the correct answer, uncovering the assumption of the author "High voltage only causes the hazard damage to only children".

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 291

Re: Industrialists argue that because there is no evidence that [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 20:37
700!!! Seriously... I hope I get this "700" level question on my xam as well. ;)
Re: Industrialists argue that because there is no evidence that   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2013, 20:37