Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 17:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Industrialists from the country Distopia were accused of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 217

GMAT Tests User
Industrialists from the country Distopia were accused of [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 12:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (02:18) correct 41% (02:05) wrong based on 58 sessions
Industrialists from the country Distopia were accused of promoting the Distopian intervention in the Arcadian civil war merely to ensure that the industrialists’ facilities in Arcadia made substantial profits during the war. Yet this cannot be the motive since, as the Distopians foresaw, Distopia’s federal expenses for the intervention were eight billion dollars, whereas, during the war, profits from the Distopian industrialists’ facilities in Arcadia totaled only four billion dollars.
Which of the following, if true, exposes a serious flaw in the argument made in the second sentence above?

(A) During the Arcadian war, many Distopian industrialists with facilities located in Arcadia experienced a significant rise in productivity in their facilities located in Distopia.
(B) The largest proportion of Distopia’s federal expenses is borne by those who receive no significant industrial profits.
(C) Most Distopian industrialists’ facilities located in Arcadia are expected to maintain the level of profits they achieved during the war.
(D) Distopian industrialists’ facilities in Arcadia made substantial profits before the events that triggered the civil war.
(E) Many Distopians expressed concern over the suffering that Arcadians underwent during the civil war.

Guys - can someone please let me know what's the reasoning behind correct answer B?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: Serious Flaw [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Clear B.

The first part states that,

Industrialists motive of making profit during the war was the reason they made Distopia intervene in the civil war.

Second line opposes that by stating,

Federal expenses of intervention was 8 billion $, whereas the profit made is only 4 billion $. Hence the industrialists motive is not money making.

Question - What is the flaw in the 2nd sentence.
The answer is B because, it states that the profit of 4 billion $ is shared only among the industrialists, whereas the expense of 8 billion $ is imposed on all the citizens of Distopia. Clearly the industrialists make huge profits. Hence there is a profit reason behind the industrialists motive. Hence there is a flaw in the second sentence.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 15

Re: Serious Flaw [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
tuanquang269 wrote:
I now understood why B correct. Can anyone explain the main answer choices, why they are wrong?

Let's see:
The argument assumes that the 8bn expenses will cancel the industrialists' profits.

A During the Arcadian war, many Distopian industrialists with facilities located in Arcadia experienced a significant rise in productivity in their facilities located in Distopia.
(This doesn't address the issue properly. If this is true, we will still have to cope with the 8 billion dollars expenses. Hence incorrect)

B The largest proportion of Distopia’s federal expenses is borne by those who receive no significant industrial profits.
(If this is true then the profits will go to the industrialists and the expenses will be sustained by someone else. Hence it's what we are looking for.)

C Most Distopian industrialists’ facilities located in Arcadia are expected to maintain the level of profits they achieved during the war.
(We are not really concerned with what happens in the aftermath. Hence incorrect)

D Distopian industrialists’ facilities in Arcadia made substantial profits before the events that triggered the civil war.
(We don't really care what happened before, the issue is not addressed. Hence incorrect)

E Many Distopians expressed concern over the suffering that Arcadians underwent during the civil war.
(This is totally out of scope, we don't care at all)

I hope this will help.

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Serious Flaw [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 15:35
B is correct. The second sentence states that the motive was not money making

However

(B) The largest proportion of Distopia’s federal expenses is borne by those who receive no significant industrial profits.

So 8 billion expense is upon all the citizens in Dystopia, 4 billion profit is shared among the industrialists. Clearly they made a lot of profit, hence a flaw.

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Serious Flaw [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 00:19
I now understood why B correct. Can anyone explain the main answer choices, why they are wrong?

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Re: Serious Flaw   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2011, 00:19