Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Re: Industry job or consulting? [#permalink]
GoBruin wrote:
Milias, the interview slots are open on Ross' website. Looks like next year would be a good year, BCG has opened up 30% more interview slots, Bain opened up 15% more slots.

Take a look. Looks like we can bid at most of them EXCEPT McK.

One word of caution, the number of interview slots are not set in stone and are subject to change until the day of the interview. Hopefully this won't happen but last year a few firms reduced (sometimes significantly) the number of interview slots very close to the interview date.
Current Student
Send PM
skaballet wrote:
One word of caution, the number of interview slots are not set in stone and are subject to change until the day of the interview. Hopefully this won't happen but last year a few firms reduced (sometimes significantly) the number of interview slots very close to the interview date.

Thanks, skaballet. The lady from OCD did mention this in her presentation at the Ross Rendezvous.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
In any case, long story short (regardless of whether you're married or single) - consulting is a great place if you're still unsure about your career goals, whereas industry is a better bet if you know what you want.

Excellent post!
Current Student
Send PM
If I already decided that I'm not going into MC, would it still make sense for me to participate in the MC recruiting process (for internship or FT)? Is there experience to be gained? Would MC firms be able to tell right off the bat that you're not really interested in MC? And if by luck of the draw, you actually end up landing a top-tier consulting gag, would you turn it down?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
milias wrote:
If I already decided that I'm not going into MC, would it still make sense for me to participate in the MC recruiting process (for internship or FT)? Is there experience to be gained? Would MC firms be able to tell right off the bat that you're not really interested in MC? And if by luck of the draw, you actually end up landing a top-tier consulting gag, would you turn it down?

You might want to go through the recruitment tab in iMPACT and read the terms and conditions (including penalties for engaging in recruitment process for experience). Apart from that consult the MBA2's who should be able to give you a reality check.
Current Student
Send PM
Roger wrote:
You might want to go through the recruitment tab in iMPACT and read the terms and conditions (including penalties for engaging in recruitment process for experience). Apart from that consult the MBA2's who should be able to give you a reality check.

LOL! Yea, after I posted that, I checked out the bidding page in iMPACT and saw the terms that we have to agree to. I guess we aren't allowed to do that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Slight diverson but tangential:

I've heard from many sources that its easier to get a consulting FT offer than a consulting summer offer.

What do people do in the summer that helps them get a FT gig if they strike out for a summer gig? Do they go into industry in summer?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
Slight diverson but tangential:

I've heard from many sources that its easier to get a consulting FT offer than a consulting summer offer.

What do people do in the summer that helps them get a FT gig if they strike out for a summer gig? Do they go into industry in summer?

Yes, generally something in the industry route like Amazon, Apple, AMEX types. But if you look at it, usually the recruitment numbers for FT are better than the Intern numbers for consulting / IB
Current Student
Send PM
Just a quick suggestion. I was looking for a guide on rotational/leadership programs, but couldn't find one. If a guide doesn't already exist, would it be possible for one of the mods to create one? Thanks!
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
milias wrote:
Just a quick suggestion. I was looking for a guide on rotational/leadership programs, but couldn't find one. If a guide doesn't already exist, would it be possible for one of the mods to create one? Thanks!

That is very hard. If anything most of the GM programs of some sort of Rotation or Leadership program (even if it doesn't rotate). It's probably easier to name the ones that don't rotate which I can only think of Apple right now.

GE has multiple rotations programs:
Corporate Audit Staff
Edicson Engineering Develpment Program
Human Resources Leadership Program
Experienced Commercial Leadership Porgram
GE Healthcare Quality Leadership Program

Amazon has:
Human Resources Leadership Development Program
Pathways/Operations Rotational Program
as well as Leadership programs in:
Area Management/operations -- Product Management - Financial Analyst.

Eli lilly has:
Lilly Leadership Development Programs - 2 year rotational for marketing/Finance/Human Resources.

Honestly this would just become a rediculious list. Milias, you should probably figure out what sector you want before you looking into rotational programs.
Current Student
Send PM
GoBruin wrote:
milias wrote:

That is very hard. If anything most of the GM programs of some sort of Rotation or Leadership program (even if it doesn't rotate). It's probably easier to name the ones that don't rotate which I can only think of Apple right now.

GE has multiple rotations programs:
Corporate Audit Staff
Edicson Engineering Develpment Program
Human Resources Leadership Program
Experienced Commercial Leadership Porgram
GE Healthcare Quality Leadership Program

Amazon has:
Human Resources Leadership Development Program
Pathways/Operations Rotational Program
as well as Leadership programs in:
Area Management/operations -- Product Management - Financial Analyst.

Eli lilly has:
Lilly Leadership Development Programs - 2 year rotational for marketing/Finance/Human Resources.

Honestly this would just become a rediculious list. Milias, you should probably figure out what sector you want before you looking into rotational programs.

Thanks for the reply, GoBruin. I'm mainly looking at rotational programs in GM/marketing/strategy/business development. I would like to be able to leverage my background in engineering. So I'm thinking industries such as high-tech, energy, sustainability, etc. I'm trying to stay away from software/internet-related companies. I want to work for a company where manufacturing/operations is a major component.

I was looking at oil and gas companies, but I'm still struggling with the ethical part of it, and the life commitment kinda scares me. Ideally, I want to work in the sustainable energy field, but the thing is that most of those companies are fairly young, and I don't know if they have gotten around to developing mature roational programs yet. I was looking at GE, but the ones listed on their website don't look like they're best fits for me - could be wrong, but I'll need to find out more about them.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
milias wrote:
I was looking at oil and gas companies, but I'm still struggling with the ethical part of it, and the life commitment kinda scares me. Ideally, I want to work in the sustainable energy field, but the thing is that most of those companies are fairly young, and I don't know if they have gotten around to developing mature roational programs yet. I was looking at GE, but the ones listed on their website don't look like they're best fits for me - could be wrong, but I'll need to find out more about them.

Random rant, unrelated to you but I don't think working for oil and gas is unethical. If people have a problem with oil and gas then they should just not drive, not heat their houses, don't turn on electricity, disconnect there internet, throw out there phones. In the end oil and gas run the world. They provide a service, and make the world go round. End Rant.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Chicago Booth
i take it none of these rotational programs do internships, only full time offers 2nd year?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
ayz wrote:
i take it none of these rotational programs do internships, only full time offers 2nd year?

Many if not most do. But summer really wouldn't be a rotation, you just go intern for the summer. So it's just interning at a GM fortune 500 type deal. then afterwards you either go into GM for a specific position, or you go into a rotation program. It really matters which company. I think for like United Airlines at least they have both types.
Current Student
Send PM
GoBruin wrote:
ayz wrote:

Many if not most do. But summer really wouldn't be a rotation, you just go intern for the summer. So it's just interning at a GM fortune 500 type deal. then afterwards you either go into GM for a specific position, or you go into a rotation program. It really matters which company. I think for like United Airlines at least they have both types.

The internships are often feeders to the full-time rotational programs. They're more like a 10-week interview process for the real thing.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2