Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT Date: 11-29-2014
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Re: Inequalities trick [#permalink]
In addition to my previous post, I'd like to understand:

If the inequality is:
f(x) = (x+a)(x-b)^2(x+c)(x-d)^3 < 0
We are still going to work with the same number line from left to right starting with "+" and factors a,b,c,d placed on it in ascending order?
Since the number of factors remain an even number (4 total). Am I on the right track?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohitd80 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I'm in the process of absorbing the fundamentals and neat tricks provided by the experts here. This inequality trick is phenomenal. Would it be safe to conclude that - for odd number of factors or roots, we start with "-" (cosine waveform) and for even number of roots we start with "+" (sine wave)?

As explained by Gurpreet & Karishma:
If f(x) has three factors then the graph will have - + - +
If f(x) has four factors then the graph will have + - + - +

Similarly:
If f(x) has two factors then the graph will have + - +
If f(x) has seven factors then the graph will have - + - + - + - + ?

Thanks!

Yes, you can look at it like that too. You should always have the positive sign at the extreme right region. Do remember though that the factors must be of the form (x - a), (x - b) etc and not of the form (a - x).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Send PM
Can somebody please explain for me why this one doesnt work that way?

Which of the following is a value of x for which x^11 - x^9 > 0 ?

A. -2
B. -1
C. -1/2
D. 1/2
E. 1

x11−x9>0 --> x9(x2−1)>0 --> (x+1)x9(x−1)>0 --> roots are -1, 0 and 1 --> −1<x<0 or x>1. Only C fits.

Answer: C.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
vihavivi wrote:

A. -2
B. -1
C. -1/2
D. 1/2
E. 1

x11−x9>0 --> x9(x2−1)>0 --> (x+1)x9(x−1)>0 --> roots are -1, 0 and 1 --> −1<x<0 or x>1. Only C fits.

But it does. Everything you have done is correct (ignoring the formatting issues).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 150
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
vihavivi wrote:

A. -2
B. -1
C. -1/2
D. 1/2
E. 1

But it does. Everything you have done is correct (ignoring the formatting issues).

I knew the answer makes sense, but if I apply the inequalities trick into this, with 3 roots -1, 0, and 1 and for the f(x) >0, shouldn't it be x <-1 and 0 <x<1?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Dear All,

Is x a negative number?
(1) 9x > 10x
(2) is positive.

GMAT OG claims A is sufficient. But, what if x is a fraction number? Such as 2/90. In this case 2/90 also satisfies ST 1 ..
What is the exact solution for this?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618612 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
mrslee wrote:
Dear All,

Is x a negative number?
(1) 9x > 10x
(2) is positive.

GMAT OG claims A is sufficient. But, what if x is a fraction number? Such as 2/90. In this case 2/90 also satisfies ST 1 ..
What is the exact solution for this?

This question is discussed here: is-x-a-negative-number-136882.html

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
if (k – 5)(k – 1)(k – 6) < 0
or
(k – 5)(k – 1)(k – 6) > 0
what will be range for both? I have tried method suggested by gurpreetsingh, but got confused when to take ">" and "<".
can anyone explain? It will be more helpful if anyone can upload an image of the solution.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Yes, this is a neat little way to work with inequalities where factors are multiplied or divided. And, it has a solid reasoning behind it which I will just explain.

If (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0, we can draw the points a, b, c and d on the number line.
e.g. Given (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)(x-4) < 0, draw the points -2, 1, 7 and 4 on the number line as shown.

Attachment:
doc.jpg

This divides the number line into 5 regions. Values of x in right most region will always give you positive value of the expression. The reason for this is that if x > 7, all factors above will be positive.

When you jump to the next region between x = 4 and x = 7, value of x here give you negative value for the entire expression because now, (x - 7) will be negative since x < 7 in this region. All other factors are still positive.

When you jump to the next region on the left between x = 1 and x = 4, expression will be positive again because now two factors (x - 7) and (x - 4) are negative, but negative x negative is positive... and so on till you reach the leftmost section.

Since we are looking for values of x where the expression is < 0, here the solution will be -2 < x < 1 or 4< x < 7

It should be obvious that it will also work in cases where factors are divided.
e.g. (x - a)(x - b)/(x - c)(x - d) < 0
(x + 2)(x - 1)/(x -4)(x - 7) < 0 will have exactly the same solution as above.

Note: If, rather than < or > sign, you have <= or >=, in division, the solution will differ slightly. I will leave it for you to figure out why and how. Feel free to get back to me if you want to confirm your conclusion.

Please explain how will it be different when you have <= or >=
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
maddyboiler wrote:
Excellent post. Till now we have all seen problems in the format f(x) < 0 where f(x) is written in its factors for (x-a)(x-b)...

what if we have something like f(x) < k "k is a constant"
(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) < k
How do we solve these kind of questions?

The entire concept is based on positive/negative factors which means <0 or >0 is a must. If the question is not in this format, you need to bring it to this format by taking the constant to the left hand side.

e.g.
(x + 2)(x + 3) < 2
x^2 + 5x + 6 - 2 < 0
x^2 + 5x + 4 < 0
(x+4)(x+1) < 0

Now use the concept.

Dear Ma'am!
Please try to respond to my pm...
really needed that help, if possible then revert on forum so that others can benefit for it too.
thanks
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Yes, this is a neat little way to work with inequalities where factors are multiplied or divided. And, it has a solid reasoning behind it which I will just explain.

If (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0, we can draw the points a, b, c and d on the number line.
e.g. Given (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)(x-4) < 0, draw the points -2, 1, 7 and 4 on the number line as shown.

Attachment:
doc.jpg

This divides the number line into 5 regions. Values of x in right most region will always give you positive value of the expression. The reason for this is that if x > 7, all factors above will be positive.

When you jump to the next region between x = 4 and x = 7, value of x here give you negative value for the entire expression because now, (x - 7) will be negative since x < 7 in this region. All other factors are still positive.

When you jump to the next region on the left between x = 1 and x = 4, expression will be positive again because now two factors (x - 7) and (x - 4) are negative, but negative x negative is positive... and so on till you reach the leftmost section.

Since we are looking for values of x where the expression is < 0, here the solution will be -2 < x < 1 or 4< x < 7

It should be obvious that it will also work in cases where factors are divided.
e.g. (x - a)(x - b)/(x - c)(x - d) < 0
(x + 2)(x - 1)/(x -4)(x - 7) < 0 will have exactly the same solution as above.

Note: If, rather than < or > sign, you have <= or >=, in division, the solution will differ slightly. I will leave it for you to figure out why and how. Feel free to get back to me if you want to confirm your conclusion.

Karishma,
Pls tell me it is always be that signs will change like +-+- or it is possible the case when it will be the same repeats. for example, ++-+ or +--+

thank you
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
alesia257 wrote:
Karishma,
Pls tell me it is always be that signs will change like +-+- or it is possible the case when it will be the same repeats. for example, ++-+ or +--+

thank you

Signs will always change in the pattern discussed above. Understand the reason why this is so - check out these posts:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/0 ... e-factors/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/0 ... ns-part-i/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/0 ... s-part-ii/

Thank you for your answer.
So I can put plus in the right segment and then just put -+-+ without trying numbers,arent I ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I learnt this trick while I was in school and yesterday while solving one question I recalled.
Its good if you guys use it 1-2 times to get used to it.

Suppose you have the inequality

f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0

Just arrange them in order as shown in the picture and draw curve starting from + from right.

now if f(x) < 0 consider curve having "-" inside and if f(x) > 0 consider curve having "+" and combined solution will be the final solution. I m sure I have recalled it fully but if you guys find any issue on that do let me know, this is very helpful.

Don't forget to arrange then in ascending order from left to right. a<b<c<d

So for f(x) < 0 consider "-" curves and the ans is : (a < x < b) , (c < x < d)
and for f(x) > 0 consider "+" curves and the ans is : (x < a), (b < x < c) , (d < x)

If you can not figure out how and why, just remember it.
Try to analyze that the function will have number of roots = number of factors and every time the graph will touch the x axis.

For the highest factor d if x>d then the whole f(x) > 0 and after every interval of the roots the signs will change alternatively.

Thanks a lot for this post :-D, it's very helpful. Would be great if you clarify the below query:

Given:

Question: What if we have 2 factors? do we need to start out interpretation as + - + and for 5 factors, do we need to have it in this way? - + - + - +

Thanks in advance,
Uma
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Hi karishma, abhimahna, mikemcgarry, Bunuel, Skywalker18, and other experts

I am not able to understand the graph. How do we know which one is negative/positive? How does this graph help us in solving inequalities?

Thanks
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hi karishma, abhimahna, mikemcgarry, Bunuel, Skywalker18, and other experts

I am not able to understand the graph. How do we know which one is negative/positive? How does this graph help us in solving inequalities?

Thanks

Hi Shiv2016 ,

The concept is very easy.

1. Find out the zero points.
2. Arrange them in ascending order.
3. Draw them on a number line.
4. Take the right most as +ve and proceed towards left taking alternate signs.
5. If the inequality is of > form, then take all +ve ranges.
6. if the inequality is of lesser form, then take all -ve ranges.

E.g.

(x-2) (x-3 ) > 0

Equality form is greater than(>).

Zero points = 2 and 3

Draw them on number line. You will get 3 ranges. x<2; 2<x<3; and x >2.

Here, right most will be +ve, or x>2 will be +ve.
then 2<x<3 will be -ve
then x<2 will be +ve.

Since inequality is of (>) form, we will take all the ranges which have +ve sign.

Hence, the answer will be x>2 and x<2.

I hope it makes sense. :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hi

Thanks

Dear Shiv2016,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I see that abhimahna already gave I wonderful explanation. I will just add a few points.

The post at the beginning of the thread is not 100% accurate and it is way to general for the GMAT. Inequalities with powers of x is a exceeding rare topic on the GMAT, and when there is a power in an inequality, it almost always is just x. I think you could take 50 GMATs in a row and not see a power of x higher than 2 in an inequality.

You may find this blog helpful:
GMAT Quadratic Inequalities

I definitely agree that finding the roots, the x-values that make the function zero, is the first step. Find these, and put these on a number line.

If the highest power is simply 2, then you should know that graph is a parabola. If the coefficient of \(x^2\) is positive, then the parabola opens upward, like the letter U. If the coefficient of \(x^2\) is negative, then the parabola opens downward, like an upside-down U. Right there, that should tell you where the function is positive or negative.

Higher powers of x (\(x^3\), \(x^4\), etc.) appear infrequently. The alternating pattern doesn't always work: in particular, the signs don't alternate if there's a repeated root, e.g. \(x^3 - 4x^2 + 4x > 0\)). That's a caveat for higher mathematics, but I don't think anyone would ever need to know this for the GMAT.

My friend, part of the reason you were confused is because the person who opened the thread was talking about more advanced math than you need for the GMAT. People who study engineering learn way more math than is needed for the GMAT, and some of them like to show off, but this doesn't really help anyone.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
[quote="gurpreetsingh"]I learnt this trick while I was in school and yesterday while solving one question I recalled.
Its good if you guys use it 1-2 times to get used to it.

Suppose you have the inequality

\(f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0\)

Just arrange them in order as shown in the picture and draw curve starting from + from right.

now if f(x) < 0 consider curve having "-" inside and if f(x) > 0 consider curve having "+" and combined solution will be the final solution. I m sure I have recalled it fully but if you guys find any issue on that do let me know, this is very helpful.

Don't forget to arrange then in ascending order from left to right. \(a<b<c<d\)

So for f(x) < 0 consider "-" curves and the ans is: \((a < x < b)\), \((c < x < d)\)
and for f(x) > 0 consider "+" curves and the ans is: \((x < a)\), \((b < x < c)\), \((d < x)\)

Hi, if the function is as such (-x-a)(-x-b), would we just flip the direction of the curve, and hence the order of signs? Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts